Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1967 Duke Sims PSA 9 wish list

Not that having such a card entitles me to rule the masses or "write my own ticket" but it is 1/1 and
I have always wanted not-OC PSA 9's of 1967:

150 Mickey Mantle
165 Cleon Jones
540 Norm Cash

maybe 2 of the 3 would suffice...of course that would be the Jones and Cash 9's unless
somebody has several Mantle 9's going unused in their spare room image

ebay:1967topps
1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff

Comments

• Options
    That would be the proverbial 1 of 1 in the population report.

I'd be inclined to hang on to my Mantle/Jones/Cash, but that's just me. Maybe one of PT Barnum's customers will belly up for you.

Remember the good old days when the dealers would take your stars for their commons, but not your commons for their stars. If you pull this one off, I smell a movie coming: Revenge of the Card Nerds.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Did you just get the Sims back from PSA? Those are a pain to find in nicely centered condition.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    The ID number would indicate the card was graded quite a while ago.

But just to toot my own horn, I just got back a PSA 9 1968 #453 Sammy Ellis (now 1 of 2) -- its up on eBay now.

Scott
  • Options
    Scott

Had the first Ellis 453 for about a year and sold it to Ron about a month ago. I will be in the game

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Scott: How do you figure the date graded by the number? I just got cards back last week with serial numbers beginning11705---. Seems to me like if the Sims just came through, it was graded in the past 7-10 days.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    1967 Topps - You stole my icon! image
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options

<< <i>Scott: How do you figure the date graded by the number? I just got cards back last week with serial numbers beginning11705---. Seems to me like if the Sims just came through, it was graded in the past 7-10 days. >>

EJ -- I was thinking that there was some kind of sequence to their ID numbers. But what you say disproves that theory! image

Scott
  • Options
    Scott---I totally agree--there IS a sequence. Unfortunately, it's on a need to know basis, and I was told I didn't need to knowimage Actually, I've figured a few things--Show/On-site graded cards I've received have always started with a 50. Maybe coincedence, but I doubt it. Cards beginning with 0 seem to be at least 2+ years old--likely more. The old shiny logo on the reverse is a giveaway. The soft blue followed it for about 1-2 years (maybe), and now the present darker blue (last 1-2 years). Reholdering a card updates the type font and reverse, but the serial number is unchanged.

I am confident there are submitters who DO know MUCH more than I. A little help guys???image

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    >>you stole my icon
    Hey Jim,

that's just because I've not yet figured out how to get one of my own gif or jpgs
    into that spot, and had to settle for what was "in stock" = though I was a huge
    Tigers fan in 1967-1972 or so.
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    >>The ID number would indicate the card was graded quite a while ago.

Why do you say that? Do you assume that all cards are graded
    sequentially? I know for a fact that is not true.
    Sure, the first PSA cards I ever saw (1999) had a leading zero.
    But since then, I've seen a variety of leading #s.

For fun I sorted my 1967 "sell set" by PSA #

Besides a ton of 8 digit serial #s that start with 01 thru
    06 and 08, there are cards with first two digits:
    11, 30, 40, 50, 80, and 90

My best guess is that cards sent in via different methods
    get different #s. For a while wasn't there a program
    to take graded cards and submit them directly to teletrade?

Perhaps crossover cards get a different code #.

Perhaps someone from PSA would like to explain it rather
    than us sitting around the Set Registry Bar arguing it image

That is to say that there is no way the Sims PSA 9
    with a grading # 11717295 was done "years ago" since
    I only SENT IT IN late last month. Not that it REALLY matters...
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    You can't be a Tiger fan today? It was ONLY 119 loses, come on, we got Pudge! I believe that you can upload icons on the 15th of the month.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    >>I'd be inclined to hang on to my Mantle/Jones/Cash, but that's just me. Maybe one of PT Barnum's customers will belly up for you.>>

Mike, that seems a little harsh, since those cards don't have a population of 1 in PSA 9 NQ (even if YOU
    only have one of them), there are 42 Mantle 9's, 8 Cleon 9's and 6 Norm's - what makes a person a sucker
    to think about trading one of 42 Mantle 9's for the only Duke Sims PSA 9s - odds are it'll be easier to
    get another Mantle 9 than another Sims 9, unless you have an unopened wax BOX of 1st series...

Besides plenty of you guys have sent me emails in the past like "I think you should send me
    your Clendenon PSA 8 and I'll send you some other PSA 8's that you need."

So it's my turn to suggest someone make me an offer before I start checking you guys'
    specific registries...
  • Options
    I got back into the Tigers a little bit in '99 when I finally got to Tiger Stadium (just in time).
    But then they traded a lot of the guys I thought would make for a good core into the new
    decade (like Kapler and Catalonotto). I live in Mets/Yankees country and felt like a rebel
    kid rooting for Norm Cash and the Tigers in addition to Cleon and Mickey....
  • Options
    >>Did you just get the Sims back from PSA? Those are a pain to find in nicely centered condition.

Yes, it came out of a wax pack and I'd had it a while, hadn't sent in, as for a while my priority to send
    in was cards I didn't have in PSA graded at all.

I keep a list of expected and actual grade and here's our results, all sent in ungraded, all but 1 1967:

4 Duke Sims 8 9 (Gift)
    70 Ron Santo 7 7
    100 Frank Robinson 7 6
    140 Willie Stargell 7 6
    215 Ernie Banks 7 6
    216 Bengal Belters 7 5
    250 Hank Aaron 7 6
    266 Pitt Power 6 7
    315 Billy Williams 7 5
    371 Jim Lonborg 7 5
    394 Walt Alston 8 7
    395 Chris Short 7 7
    430 Pete Rose 6 7
    454 Checklist - no left ear 7 8
    475 Jim Palmer 7 6
    535 Donn Clendenon 5 5
    558 Orioles Rookies (Belanger) 7 7
    569 AL Rookies (Carew) 7 6
    576 NL Rookies (Gigon) 8 8
    594 Dan Osinski 6 6
    595 Cookie Rojas 7 7
    466 1962 Norm Cash AS 7 2

Comments: the Sims was a big surprise, of course. The 7's that came back 5
    have me stumped. Some of the hoped for 7's that came back 6 seemed to have
    more upper R corner wear than I realized at submission. The cash had a tape
    stain on the back, other wise it probably would have gotten a 7. Looking at
    cards in sunlight seems more honest than in hobby room light.

The 7's will likely go into a complete set that I am upgrading before re-submitting.
    (I wanted more star cards in graded form)

I'm taking offers for the Sims card [see 1st post comment about wanting Mantle,
    Cleon and/or Norm Cash] or if I don't get one I like enough, I'll add it
    to the complete set that's for sale.... Since including it in my set registry gets it only one more point
    than a PSA 8 would, even though it's the only nine in the free world.

Also the pop report says that the #454 "No Left Ear" is the ONLY graded one at all.
    But that's a keeper because to date I only had 454 in a PSA 6 in the set registry.

• Options
    Sorry, but I have to agree with Toppsgun. Your asking price is incredibly out of whack. Put it on Ebay and it'll sell for anywhere from probably 250-500 dollars depending on how bad someone wants it. You can't sniff a Mantle for that in 9 regardless of the Mantle's pop, because that's a 2K card, or thereabouts. Hell there was an 8 sold on Ebay last week for about 450.

It's a 1 of 1 now...but can you honestly believe that it'll always be 1/1? Highly unlikely. If I were you I'd sell it now while it's still 1/1, get what you can, and buy another one when it comes around. And sorry, not to be a jerk, but there's not likely to be any Mantle trading in the future.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. You never know what people will do when trying to complete
    a set in a certain condition. Lookit what someone (acowa I think) sold a Sims PSA 8 for...
    somebody might not have any money but plenty of cards to trade. Maybe they even have
    a spare Mantle. Hey, you never know. Besides it's just a "wish list". We can all wish.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    The last 8 I sold was for $200. I would think the Sims 9 would go for $350-$500. Your 9 wishlist probably won't happen...but it never hurts to ask. As far as the Marichal goes...the pop report is often wrong on the variations...but I haven't seen many of these (variation or no variation) period. The plcement of Marichals face always makes it look off center to me. BTW - The last one with one ear went for a little over $150.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Agreed on the pop reports. I've noticed that my no/incomplete stat line psa 8 Mel Queen is a 1/0, and I know others on the registry have the identical card and it isn't listed correctly. Wasn't this an even bigger problem for the '69's with all of those variations? I seem to remember at last year's national Ron working hard trying to straighten it all out. Did that get done?

E

• Options
    Hmm...thought I sent in my 1967 want list last night, but don't see it here. Do they come in
    and delete posts?

Or just give it another try - cards I'm looking to improve either the grade or the focus (F).
    will take any offers for the 1967 Sims 9 NQ else Sunday it goes up on ebay.

2 JACK HAMILTON have PSA 7 need 8
    3 Duke Sims have 7 and 9 need 8
    13 Joe Sparma need any card NM +
    16 Bill Hands need PSA 7 or 8 in focus
    21 Dave Bristol need PSA 7 or 8
    26 Bob Priddy (no traded) have PSA 7 need 8
    33 A's Rookies need centered, focused
    38 Bob Johnson PSA 8 better F
    43 Chico Salmon have PSA 7 need 8
    50 Tony Oliva PSA 8 better F
    52 Dennis Higgins PSA 8 better F
    54 Dick Green have PSA 7 need 8
    62 A or B checklist any not traded
    63 Cards Clubbers (Brock, Flood) have PSA 8 bad focus
    80 Jim Maloney PSA 8 better F
    86a Mike McCormick any not traded
    90 Jim Nash PSA 8 better F
    98 Rich Rollins need PSA 7 or 8 (F)
    100 Frank Robinson need PSA 6 or 7 only
    108 Alex Johnson need Focused PSA 8
    126 Tony Taylor have PSA 7 need 8
    127 John O'Donoghue have PSA 7 need 8
    129 Phil Roof need better PSA 8
    152 WS Game 2 have PSA 7 need 8
    161 Dick Williams have PSA 7 need 8
    163 Vic Roznovsky have PSA 7 need 8
    186 Mets Maulers have PSA 7 need 8
    196 Johnny Romano have PSA 7 ST, PSA 7, need 8
    264 Ron Swoboda have PSA 7 and 8 oc
    331 Joe Foy have PSA 7 need 8 [keep losing auctions]
    395 Chris Short have PSA 7 need 8
    396 Atlanta Aces have PSA 8 need Focus 8 gave away my sgc96
    382 Dave McNally have PSA 7 need 8
    391 Wilbur Wood have PSA 7 need 8
    421 Dal Maxvill have PSA 7 need 8
    424 Pedro Gonzalez have PSA 7 only
    464 Dan Coombs have PSA 7 need 8
    465 Willie Horton have PSA 7 need 8
    467 Jim O'Toole have PSA 7 need 8
    482 Bill Monbouquette have PSA 7 need 8
    483 Jim Landis have PSA 7 need 8
    492 Pirates Team have PSA 7 need 8
    521 Bird Bombers have 7, 8 w/bad focus
    592 NL Rookies have 7, 8 OC

Thanks

Paul
  • Options
    edited for double post
  • Options
    1967topps said, "396 Atlanta Aces...gave away my sgc96"

Just to set the record straight, you traded me the Atlanta Aces SGC 96 on 3/10/03 for a PSA 8 #335-Bob Veale that you needed. The phrase "gave away" is superfluous. I did, however, cross it to a PSA 9.

Tell you what, if you want the Atlanta Aces back, I'll trade it to you for the PSA 9 Sims.
  • Options
    Oh, so that's where it went. Guess I was desperate to say "I'll have the Veale" at the time.
    No thanks on the Sims for A.Aces trade though.
  • Options
    "Guess I was desperate to say "I'll have the Veale" at the time."

Guess you should have had the chicken.image
  • Options
    Hmm...who's nickname is the chicken. I remember George "The Stork" Theodore...

Got a couple of offers which were decent, but what I"m gonna do is list the Sims 9
    on eBay with a reserve and see what happens.

In another note, didja see that the Wickersham PSA 10 went for nearly 600 dollars today?
    What do you think of that?