Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help, Roman coin question.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
AD 238-244 What politcal period is this? Republic, Imperial, Provincial? I have no idea about Roman history.

OK, Imperial Rome ended in 180 AD. What followed? The Republic was in BC.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial.

Rome was a republic until Julius Caesar made himself a dictator and put himself on coins (which is why they "whacked" him on the Ides of March, in 44 BC, I believe it was.) After Caesar, Rome was an empire, with totalitarian dictators, ergo, Roman Imperial coins.

"Roman Provincial" refers not to a period, but a type of coinage; coins struck for Roman provinces, as opposed to the homeland. I think most provincial issues were during the Imperial period, but if I am wrong on that, then the Dead King or Civitas will correct me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, Imperial Rome ended in 180 AD. >>

Huh? Where did you get that?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rob. I'm listing some coins on eBay and needed to know the category. I got the 180 AD date from a website.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The Roman Empire lasted from 27 BC until AD 476.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    AD 238-244 was the reign of Emperor Gordian III image