Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Wow! Who says 1968 Topps Baseball prices are soft?

Congratulations Dave! I put in an esnipe bid on this 4 days ago, and forgot about it. Now I see that my bid didn't even register on the radar screen.

1968 Topps Gates Brown PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Is that a Detroit Tigers thing going on...?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Wow! You 1968 set collectors are really making it tough on us guys that are just trying to put together a nice 1968 World Champs Tiger set. Congratulations Stump on getting a great card.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Those pinch hitter cards tend to command a premium . . . Now where did I put that Manny Mota card?
  • Options
    Pinch hitter cards? Wasn't Gates an ex-con? McLain, too. Whattsup with the water in Detroit?

Somebody should get a Registry set together of ex-cons:

Gates Brown
    Denny McLain
    Pete Rose
    Fergie Jenkins (or were the charges dropped?)
  • Options
    That's a really tough card..and a Tiger, too. Congratulations Dave. Scott
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Gates is clearly one of the toughest cards of the set. My sense is that 9's across the board (other than those few where an equal or greater number of 10's exist) are solidifying and rising. What is there now, a dozen sets being built or existing above 8.2? Glad to see those 9's get action at $35+.

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Yes, Gates was an ex con before joining baseball. He cleaned up his act and has become a model citizen in Detroit. McLain is a different story. He recently got out of jail (again). The guy seems to self destruct every five years.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Not only was Gates an ex-con before playing pro ball, but so was Ron Leflore (both Tigers).
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Don't forget the Tiger's Ron "5-to-15- for-armed-robbery" LeFlore.

As for cards, the Gates Brown is a toughie. I recall that the Pop Report listed 4 in PSA 9. Best to my recollection, I would have to say that $760 is record for a common in that set (if he's considered a common).
  • Options
    Ah, Vargha, you beat me to LeFlore.

• Options
    At the closing of Tiger Stadium in 99, they invited back a bunch of old Tigers to take the field. As Ron Leflore left the field after the ceremony, he was arrested (again) for not paying child support. Some things never change...
    Jim
  • Options
    Maybe the retro Tiger uniforms should have pinstripes on them to make the players feel more comfortableimage
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    I think Bobby Higginson is the biggest criminal in Tiger history. He's making like 9 million a year to hit .255 with modest pop. That's grand theft in most states.
  • Options
    Hey guys really did want the card. Its a 2 pop and the other is in Ron's set. If I am to remain in the number 2 slot I might as well controll my own destiny. It is truely a tough card. Did I pay too much yea probably. Would I do it again heck yea. Just wanted the card because I collect. But the really good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by going to Geico.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted the card because I collect. But the really good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by going to Geico. >>

Priceless.....

• Options

<< <i>But the really good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by going to Geico. >>

What will this one go for?1968 PSA 9 Oliva Pop-1
  • Options
    The $7 shipping charge might keep it under $1000
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    This will certainly go for over $1,000(unless the two likely bidders reach an agreement beforehand).
  • Options
    But, but SMR says it's under a $100.........image
  • Options
    Jim

I know I am passing on this one.

Dave
  • Options
    But the really good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by going to Geico.

imageimageimage

Stump,

I just looked at the Pop Report and we're both wrong - it's 3.

Reviewing the bidding history, that price looks very stable since two other bidders placed bids within $29 of yours.

I've been buying '68 Topps cards off of eBay for 5 years now and Tigers cards always go for a huge premium. If it makes you feel better, I once paid more than that for a '68 Topps Northrup PSA 10 and that was 2 years ago on a direct sale. When I bought it, I thought it was the craziest purchase I ever made - but the card was absolutely gorgeous and I had to have it. But after reviewing this auction, I now feel pretty good about what I paid for the Northrup card.

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Whoops--Stump passes--I would say that Ron may be the only bidder who would go that high for the card. I will revise to $700-$800.

Ron,

Whoops--Joe must have missed this one in his close scrutiny of transactions that he dedicates himself to before the smr is published each month.

Dav
  • Options
    Dav - Ron does have this in a "10"
  • Options
    Would this type of huge price be garnered only for 9's with Pop's of 3 or less? In other words are there only a few bidders fighting it out for these cards, and then once the Pops get to 5 or 6 the price drops dramatically?(Assuming those 3 bidders already have gotten the card)

Thanks for the insight!
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Dude

Wow the pop report was just updated. I see the Mac is a 3 pop now also. A Northrup 10 thats a good one. I grew up in Detroit so the tigers are special to me. I know I posted this before but Norm Cash lived a couple blocks away from us and all the kids went to his house when he was home. He was a great guy who was wonderful to the kids.

Dave
  • Options
    Rw2win

Jim is right. Ron will earmark this card. Although he does have this in a 10 he told me once for every 10 he had in his set he had a 9 if avalible for back up. I would tend to go with Jim on this one and say Ron will be a bidder. I try not to bump heads with him it will usually just cost us both money. I have no dream of being number 1 in 68 I just want a nice high grade set in that year. Its an important set for me as this set and 69 are the ones I remember the most growing up.

Dave
  • Options
    How likely is the Pop. 9 for the Oliva to rise?
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the pop report has been completely updated. I received my submissions over a week ago & received a '68 Pirates team in PSA 9 but the pop report still shows it as a zero. Does anyone else have a '68 McAuliffe in PSA 9? If not, I guess the one I have up for bid right now is a 1 of 2 (I have the other).
  • Options
    Ripken

Congrats on the first 9 of card 308. There is a 10 that ron has in his set. The Mac I believe is a pop 3. Dav had the first one he then traded it to me(I would like my first born back when your done with him Jim) and then I traded it to Ron. Thats why you see me as a bidder on the one you have on ebay now. If you do have another then that would be the three that are out there. I do not believe the Oliva will go as high as the Gates did only because there is a 10 that sits in Ron's set. The oliva,Brown.Mac and the pirates team cards are all killers in 9 long with the 16 and 453.. With the oliva and the pirates team in 9 I believe you can now have an all 9 set.
    Good luck with your auctions and I will be there on the Mac and if you want to sell the Pirates privatly let me know and I will make a generous offer for it.

Dave