Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Buddy, could you spare some PSA plastic holder boxes?

Hi,

A friend of mine is looking to buy some PSA plastic storage boxes but isn't a member of PSA. Does anyone have any to sell? He needs ten. PM me and I'll get you in contact with this person.

Comments

• Options
    Dude...

Sorry... I gave all mine to "Carmels" a few months back. I do have some of those black cardboard ones that look like a coin box available... They really are quite nice with the PSA logo stamped on the top. I can't use the smaller boxes anymore, and have switched to the "super vault box".

LMK if I can help...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    image can you educate me on the Super vault mama? How many cards it will house and how big it is and if it is plastic? Personally, I am afraid of cardboard since my 62 Topps Lou Brock found a termite hole in his left eye after I packed it away in cardboard.( long before grading services that is*).
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    marz...

Always first..... Welcome to the boards.

The super vault box ( I don't know what the he(( mama has to do with it...image..) is a two piece cardboard storage box that BCW Supplies sells. It is designed for PSA graded cards and holds 75 slabs nice without being too tight. I use them for my Kellogg's sets, as the sets are from 54 to 75 cards each.

For more information:

www.baseballcardworld.com

and surf through all their items.

Good Luck !

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Larry, just wondering this...I use the black boxes you described which I get from PSA. They hold 60 cards each. What makes the Super Vaults different and better, just the space for the additional 14 or so cards? I really wish they made a somewhat bigger box for PSA slabs, maybe something with two or three rows. At this rate, when complete, my 1979 Topps set will require 12 boxes, and still not fit 6 cards!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    MJ Roop just started selling a box that holds about 160 PSA slabs. It looks pretty deluxe, with custom imprinting on the outside of the box.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ctsoxfan...

And a hearty "Welcome to the boards" to you also...

First thing to do is pull up the BCW Supplies page (website above..) and give those boxes a good look. There is a "vault" box and a "super vault" box. The difference is the super box is taller. I like that idea for the protection of my slabs. Because the box is "2 piece"...meaning 1 box (bottom) fits into the other box (top), the walls of the box are doubled. I stack 5 or 6 boxes on top of each other without fear of them crushing. These boxes will not win any beauty contests. They are white and plain, but VERY sturdy. You'll still have to use 9 1/2 boxes for your '79 set, but you can stack them to the ceiling...

I also use the super vault box for all my "tall boys" . Turn them sideways with a little foam cushion, and they also stack up nice.

I've also made some labels for the end of the top box. Identifies make, year, sport, card #'s, etc. Real handy. Glad to send a sample to anyone that requests one (email at bottom, in sig line...).

LMK if I can help.

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I use the Super Vault Boxes too....

I saw the MJ Roop boxes and they look sweet. a nice hinged box that holds 160 cards that you can have personalized for $60.00 (i believe).

I might pick one of those up.
  • Options
    Tony...Where did you see that box???

Logged onto MJ Roop's page and couldn't find it...

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    They had pictures of it in an SCD ad a few weeks ago, but they aren't on the web site. I filled out a catalog request and got one in 2 days. The cases look pretty nice, and the price isn't bad.
    King, they will hold 2-3 sets of K cards- but I think you're SOL on the Discs!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks for the interest friends. It looks like we have a seller and a buyer lined up.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased several of MJ Roops graded card binders and they display real nice. Those boxes sound great and I am going to call them today.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    The MJ Roop web page shows some very nice products. I was Impressed with the binders. Can someone post a picture of the boxes they sell?

Thanks,

Glen
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    ctsoxfan> I like the regular Vault boxes. As Larry mentioned, they hold an extra 15 or so slabs per box. I like them because they are white and I can print a label for them and they look just fine for me. A white label would look out of place on the black PSA boxes.

The biggest reason I like the regular Vault boxes is if you do as Larry said and put the bottom inside the top, they hold Card Saver 1s PERFECTLY. I'm doing super-high-grade raw sets from 78-84 so that's a lot of CS1s to hold. PSA's black boxes just don't hold CS1s very well.

Also, the Vault boxes are a lot cheaper than PSA's boxes. I recently ordered ten boxes - ended up costing $18.80 to the door.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I have a bunch of the black PSA cardboard box for storing my graded set, but of late I've been using the cardboard vault boxes.
  • Options
    I don't know if what I use are called Vault Boxes or Shoe Boxes, but they are all white, double rows to a box, hold 75-76 cards per row (150-152 per box). For the 598-card sets I collect, four boxes work perfectly. I can even cram my recently completed 609-card 1967 set into them. Can't get any cards out to look at them, but I know they're in there.image

I think they cost me $2.25/each.
  • Options

Dollar for Dollar...I think the MJ Roop Archival Boxes provide much for value than the binders. In this weeks issue of SCD...they have a full page color ad featuring the box.

Im sure if you email them....they could send you a picture of the box (or at least I would hope so).

John
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Toppsgun> I think those are "shoe boxes". I get the ones designed to hold 3200 raw cards and cut the dividers in half (reducing thickness). When I do that, they hold PSA-slabbed cards real nice. Three of these can house my entire 787-card 1972 set.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I just talked to Matt at MJ Roop. He is going to email a pic of the box. He told me it is made of the same material and design as the binders and the binders are top notch. What really separates these boxes from regular cardboard is the customization. To have your name, nickname, set name, etc is worth the extra money to me. As soon as I receive the pic, I will post it.
  • Options
    I ordered one of the MJ Roop boxes a few days ago from their website. It's called the Archiver Card Box.

I ordered it for my 1955 Bowman Football set. I wish it held a few more cards to fit some of my larger football sets. I have all of my 1950's and 1960's raw baseball sets in their binder/archive box "Binder Sysytems" Definately worth the $60 investment to store those older sets.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I saw the Roop boxes via the SCD ads too! They look great, the cards sit in a plastic inserted box and you can take out a row
    at a time, I plan to get 1 for my kid for his Mantle PSA's and other cards. Hopefully if demand dictates they will make a couple more
    sizes, as the Hockey set I started has 176 cards and is 16 larger then the box will hold...jay
  • Options
    Here is a pic of the box ... pretty cool looking.

• Options
    Jay - that's the same problem I have. 1961 Football is 198 cards. Too many for one box, but not enough to justify a second.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    Dude - I e-mailed your friend with my offer. I have about 20-25 of the red and blue boxes that I don't use anymore.

Steve
  • Options
    Jay, it almost looks as if Tall Boys could fit in the box. On their side with two rows. I only have one oversized holder and I don't have it with me. I know the dividers are removable.

edited to add ...

The checklist is entirely custom to what is in the box...a customer would send a list of cards and we would make one up and laminate it. The price is $19.95.
  • Options
    Hey Neal,

Could you email the pic of the MJ Roop box? It's not showing up on the thread for some reason ... sounds very cool!

Thanks!
    Robert
  • Options
    Thanks Machodoc! You're a good guy!
  • Options
    Here is a scan from the SCD ad. Also notice it states it can hold 172 PSA's,
    not 160 as was reported earlier, looks like a quality item...jay
  • Options
    JVINEYARD - You can always get 2 boxes and collectively put your '61 Fleer & '61 Nu-Card sets in them (198 + 80 = 278) w/ room left over for 66 other PSA's....Why is it I feel like I'm their chief salesman? If the MJROOP boys are listening, send me out one, I have a big mouth imageimage ...jay
  • Options
    Robert, I sent the email. Let me know.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The MJ Ropp cases look great.

Do they fit other holders as well?
  • Options
    KOBY - It states it fits PSA, SCD & Beckett - so as long as the other holders are that size or smaller it shouldn't be a problem...jay
  • Options

<< <i>JVINEYARD - You can always get 2 boxes and collectively put your '61 Fleer & '61 Nu-Card sets in them (198 + 80 = 278) w/ room left over for 66 other >>

Which means you can start a early 60's Topps Hockey set...(66 cards)....
  • Options
    I think someone on this board is reading my mind. I was just thinking about trying to find some boxes yesterday. Thanks for the help. but you probably knew that already.image

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    Thanks for the information all have provided in this thread...it was very helpful. I like those Roop boxes a lot as well, and will probably look into them. I remember seeing a large PSA dealer at the National last summer (seemed like he had thousands of PSA slabs), and he just kept all his slabs in regular, old fashioned super shoe boxes (three rows), but without the tops fitting perfectly on them. I knew there was a better solution!
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Is the exterior of the MJ Roops box plastic or is it cardboard?
  • Options
    I believe they are heavyweight cardboard covered with archival cloth. That's what their binder box systems are made of anyway. I'll let you know for sure when mine arrives.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    This box looks very neat and intriguing.

With regard to tall boys, I just did a unscientific experiment.

If the box hold 172 cards in 4 containers, each container is 43 slabs long.

I took out 43 regular sized slabs and noted the tall boys are shorter, if laid horizontally, so they will fit horizontally in the four boxes.

Then I grabbed a stack of tallboys that I just happened to have handy and noted that the width of the dividing boxes would hold about 12 horizonal tallboys each or 48 for the entire box (or 12 short for a set such as the Topps Giants).

The tallboys are too tall to lay 2 across horizontally if you removed the dividing boxes. You might be able to fit a few more in the box if you removed all 4 divider boxes and just placed the cards directely into the box.

So it doesnt seem to be the answer for tall boy sets over 48 cards if you want them all in one box. But they still seem neat for the 172 regular cards.

Keith

Spelling edit
  • Options
    I just checked it out on the website.

One thing I noticed, and I dont know if this is good or bad, is that there does not appear to be a carrying handle with the box. A box with 172 slabbed cards would weigh a bit, so I guess you would have to carry it under your arm?

Am I missing something?

Keith
  • Options

<< <i>PSA dealer at the National last summer (seemed like he had thousands of PSA slabs), and he just kept all his slabs in regular, old fashioned super shoe boxes (three rows), but without the tops fitting perfectly on them. I knew there was a better solution! >>

CTSOX - Thats how I house mine (about 4,000-5,000 slabs) and they actually are the most efficient way to store them. Each 3 row shoes box holds about 300 PSA's, and they are a lot easier to maintain then the smaller PSA boxes. I do agree that the Roop box is ideal for a set collector or a PSA card collector or dealer who needs to transport or store comfortably his better cards (up to 172)...jay
  • Options
    CUBFAN - I don't know I would want a handle even if offered. If the handle is on top of the box, you cannot store another box on top of it, and if a handle was on the side, imagine the horror of lifting the box by the handle and realizing too late that the box wasn't closed properly, and all the cards come crashing to the floor. I suppose the 172 cards w/ the box should weigh about 20 pounds, so to carry them securely (like we would w/ a case of beer) shouldn't be a problem...jay
  • Options
    I agree with Jay. These would be perfect for the player/team set collector, especially with the customization.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
  • Options
    Jay - I wasnt sure if the lack of a handle was good or bad. But when put in context of carrying a case of beer........well now I can see that its not necessary image.

Keith
  • Options
    Rob and Jay, that pic is exactly what I meant. I think that might be the most cost effective way to store large amounts of slabs, especially if you are compiling a registry set or two. The only issue would be the top not fitting perfectly on the box, because the slabs are too tall. Still, that might be okay as long as they are covered. Thanks for posting that pic, Rob.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Those boxes are multi purpose and the lid fits fine over the top covering the remainder of the cards that stick out of the top.They are 3 rows per box.(726 card set minus 47 in the boxes and still had plenty of room)

PM or Email me I can get as many as you need.
  • Options
    For what its worth on all of my 3 row shoe boxes w/ slabs, I don't use the lid on top. I put it on the bottom for more support.
    Most of my 3 row shoe boxes are in locked file cabinets where they are protected from the dust & light. I do plan on getting a few Roop boxes for my kids PSA's and for some for my registered sets...jay
  • Options
    Ok,got to ask now..........

How much does one of these cost???

http://www.mjroop.com/products

Thanks
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!