Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone buy coins from overseas?

How do you pay if you don't use paypal or the like? I'm thinking of UK.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Cash.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    I've used cash and paypal. With the cash just make sure it is sent registered. Some will take checks but there is a horrendous fee they hit you up for doing so. Knock on wood, I haven't lost anything yet.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    A good option is Western Union international money orders (ex-bidpay on eBay) .There's at least one WU representative in most areas in England (can be the local pharmacist).
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Virtually all UK sellers who cross-list on US ebay will take $US.

Colin Cooke takes credit cards.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I buy from the UK all the time - usually deal in cash (small unmarked bills..... image) and have never lost a shipment or a payment (knock on wood!)
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    I have friends in England who pay for items by cheque. If the seller won't ship to the US the item goes to them for reshipment. I reimburse through Paypal. I try not to impose by not asking the same person to handle a deal more often than once in several months.image
    Roy

• Options
    I have a situation similar to Rot's post above. I live in Norway and some seller in the USA will not accept paypal, or send outside the country.
    I impose on my freinds there who re-ships to me. I then pay them for all costs via paypal.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    So when paying by cash, how do you conceal it?
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    I just made a payment in cash to Germany. All I did was place the cash ($260) in an envelope with a note, then placed this in a small cardboard mailer and sealed up all the seams with "registered" tape that the P.O. requires for registered packages. On the customs sheet I just put "Documents". I never insure the registered package as the cost is prohibitive and you are already paying for the security of a "signed-off" chain of delivery.

It was just brought to my attention the other day that the P.O. does not provide registered tape any longer. I went ahead and ordered six rolls from www.quills.com. The tape is brown paper tape with strands of string running through it...the package can't be opening without tearing the hell out of the whole thing. Good luck.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You can also send cash in an envelope, inside multiple pieces of varying paper, folded over the cash many times. It conceals it, as far as I know.

Cacheman's idea of registering the letter seems sound, though.

Also, I think it's important to know who you're dealing with, as a less than honest person might not tell you that he's received the cash.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    You can also go to your bank and wire the money in their currency to their bank (need the name of the bank, its SWIFT code, and what city it is located in); my bank charges me a $20 fee for this service. Alternatively, you can purchase a 'foreign draft' (at most banks) made payable to the other party by name and in their currency; my bank charges a $17.50 fee for this; you then mail this to them yourself.

I have paid cash, but generally I don't like to do it for much over $50. For an amount like Cache quoted, I'd rather send a foreign draft or wire, depending on where it's going to.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Thanks for the great information guys, it's very helpful.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I send in an envelope with a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper folded into thirds - written on this page is what and why and where to ship - in the middle of the folds I put the US cash, sometimes rounding up to lower the number of bills needed.

Pop on an 80 cent stamp, and away you go -> regular letter, nothing special (if it gets to be more money than you feel comfortable with - wire? or registered? or split payments in 2 or 3 letters)

Most countries are comfortable with US cash

Read the description before bidding to see if they are willing to go to the post office and send out of their country - some are not

If description is ambiguous, 'ask the seller a question' to see if they would ship to North America and whether they would take PAYPAL

maybe different story if you live in CANADA - ?
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    I've sent international postal money order several times to U.S...no trouble yet.