Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

At what Completion Percentage would you...

At what Completion Percentage would you say your probably in a set to stay? I have started a few adventures over the years which after getting a look see at the cards and getting the "touchy feelies" I got bored or changed my mind and reversed course.

If I had to nail it down I would say that 10% is a good marker for me. If I get there I'm probably in to stay.
Anyone?
RayB69Topps
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    I would never seriously begin a set over 150 cards...too much money and effort needed for bigger sets. my biggest problem is at what point to stop upgrading, and retire the set.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Probably depends on the size of the set as well.

10% of the 60 card 1964 Giants might not keep one in it, while 10% of a 500+ set should be enough.

Cost of course is a factor, a big price rise may force out some, perhaps letting them sell at a gain. A price drop may allow increased interest, though a few might feel the set is not worth continuing.

A great thing about the registry is there are no deadlines or grade levels or completion percentages one must comply with. We can each decide what percent must be graded, what grade level is okay, when it must be done, and how fast we should work on it. Most important, we can pick which set or sets we like and can change our views any time.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    I would say that I know I'm into a set from card #1. If I decide to do a set, I'll keep up with it. I know I skipped out on the '69 Topps set at around 20% complete, and the '70 Topps set at 98+% complete, but I made a good amount of $ on those deals and would still be adding/upgrading otherwise.

I'm into the 1960 Topps set at over 10% now and I know that I'll keep this one. If you're doing a '75 Topps set, you pretty much have to hold on to it, or sell at a loss - for that reason, this one, at nearly 60% complete, is a keeper. image

JEB.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If I like 1 card enough to buy it, then I"m going for the set. However, the level at which it is completed is the question. Some sets I'm OK with at a certain grade, others will be upgraded constantly.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Never -- If circumstances (even non-emergency) dictate selling the things, then I will. In fact, I'd sell my entire 1975 Topps set right now for a decent offer and I'm still actively upgrading it as a completed set.
  • Options
    neat post. I've always wondered what people thought on this. With a full-scale 500+ set, my magic number would be 1/3. When I got 35-40% into my current set and was holding close to 200 commons it became a quest.

dgf
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Good post Ray. I have started and stopped more sets than I can count, but at 25% on the 67 set I am in to stay.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I usually don't start unless I have an intent to finish. That being said -- I have always had lower priority sets (player sets) where I will look for deals, but not actively pursue.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Im hooked from card 1.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    I've never given up on any set. Some go a little slower than others.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I've gotta go with Griffins and placticman. If I buy 1 - thats it - I'm building the set.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    What a great post. I wish I had the conviction that others have in finishing something you started. My main set is the 71's and it seems that at every 10% increment over 50% I've had a gut check on if I should continue. I think it is directly proportional to the increased amount commons go far as I get closer to completion. Now that I'm near 94%, I'm in it to the end - but it still hits a nerve when I need to pay $80 for Ron Slocum or I get outbid on a $125 bid for John O'Donoghue!