Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Opus 215 another new arrival

Another satirical I received recently. I am still trying to read up on the history for this particular time to help me understand the symbolism used by Goetz regarding “Uncle Sam” hobbeling, and Britain and France holding down who I assume is Germany.

THE CONDITIONS FOR ARMISTICE (Waffenstillstandsbedingungen) 1918, Cast AE, 58mm.

To commemorate the signing of the armistice effective 11 A.M., November 11, 1918. Inscription on obverse “Conditions of Armistice.” In exergue “Foch has the say-so now.” Inscription on reverse “A people of 70 million suffers, but does not die.”

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I will look forward to the story behind this one!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Great piece well rendered.image

Hmmmm.... the seeds for WWII were cast early and bore fruit. The reverse with the raised, clenched fists seems to be a chilling harbinger of things to come.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Keep 'em comingimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    I have one more from this batch that I'll put up later today. image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I think Uncle Sam is busy tying the victim's legs together, rather than limping.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    That's what I meant...he is putting a hobble on Germany....
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I think Uncle Sam is busy tying the victim's legs together, rather than limping.

While Britain and France hold him down. The symbolism is clear.

BTW, most historians now consider the two world wars as separate acts of the same drama.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    If the medal was made in 1918 then the full extent of the Treaty of Versaillies would not have been known. So, most likely Goetz thought the worst of the Allies, but the German themselves were known for their harsh peace treaties, such as the Treaty of Brest-Litovesk. In fact, Clemenceau argued that the harsh Treaty of Versaillies were justifyed because the Germans would do the same. But I still do not understand Goetz's anger, at this point the German's still thought that they signed Wilson's 14 points and in the 14 points it states that there will be no unjust retribution.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    Kienast:

“The most striking example of a changed viewpoint is found in Goetz’s medals concerned with President Wilson and his Fourteen Points. Goetz hails Wilson, in Opus 226, with the title, “Welcome Saviour of Mankind,” but with his next piece, Opus 227, “Woodrow’s Mousetrap,” the artist’s attitude toward Wilson has changed. A giant mousetrap depicts how the Germans were trapped relying on Wilson’s Fourteen Points. The title, “System Bastard” (in German, System Schufterle) expresses Goetz’s feeling of betrayal.

The span between these two medals is only seven months but very significant months these were for the history of Germany and Europe. The myth of the “stab in the back” (Dolchstosslegende) was created by these incidents. Ludendorff, and other German generals of World War I, claimed that they had been lured into an armistice in November, 1918, by the promises of Woodrow Wilson and his Fourteen Points. While this myth had no proper foundation, it was nevertheless the opinion of Goetz and the German public that a betrayal had taken place.”
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    This is not the first medal where Goetz takes a clear anti American position. The first one that comes to my mind is the one with a scene of the city of Marseilles on the reverse, but I can't remember the date.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    This was issued to protest the terms of the Armistice -- the ceasefire, not the surrender (which was still to come). A prostrate Germany is being weighed down by the might of the USA and Great Britain, but Foch -- the little man -- is posing as the primary victor (and setting the terms). Without the other two great powers, France was not much of anything (according to Goetz). This is captured by the brief quote "Foch hat das Wort" ("Foch has the word"). Part of the reason the US & UK are holding Germany down is the blockade ... which would be kept in place despite the terms of the armistice and even past the surrender. The German people, though, didn't feel defeated (albeit very hungry) and this plus the ignominious terms of the Versailles Treaty would eventually lead to the spread of the myth of "the stab in the back" -- betrayal by the communists and Jews.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image