Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT-Digital Cameras

Sorry for posting this here but it does kinda relate to coins if one plans to take pictures of them... I think some of you probably have digital cameras... any recommendations?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Nikon CoolPix...I have the older 995
  • Options
    Canon PowerShot A70
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Nikon Coolpix 950 . . . even older, but still going strong after 3 years, maybe 4. Just be sure you get a digicam that has good, proven macro capabilities......at least for coins. Make sure the cam can do USB file transfers too. The Nikons also use the Compact Flash memory cards which are upgradable and cheap compared to yesteryear. Good luck!
  • Options
    Olympus C5050image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Here's a LINK
    to another thread posted on the Open Forum a few days ago all about digital cameras.

• Options
    I have the Powershot S50 and it's great.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    I'm using the Olympus C5050 as well... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    I'm using a much older Sony Mavica FD83 (no longer made) and it's not even in the megapixel range, but it does have a macro capability which
    is a must. Camera dates to July of 1999, it uses a 1.44Mb floppy drive for storage. Still a pretty decent camera considering age and
    technology advances....
  • Options
    I have the same as cacheman
    Cool Pix 995. I think it is a very good camera. Of course, I have not developed the use of it correctly yet.image
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    I have a Nikon Coolpix 775 and Im still trying to master it. image

Walt
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    ttt for mushroom.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, wybrit, you're not as bad as everyone says you are.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Just don't let that get out!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks to all for your responses. Next question... and just keep in mind who is asking the question (the technically challenged) ... how difficult is it to take pictures with a digital camera and then post them here? Can someone as inept as the Coinkat manage this skill?
    Please be blunt... I can handle the truth.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Does anyone know anything about the Nikon CoolPix 4300? I have enough reward points on AmEx to get one free (with a standard 16Mb memory card and a bonus 128Mb memory card). If this is a decent camera (and you definitely can't beat the price), then I will probably go ahead and get this one so that I can join the folks who are posting pix on the boards...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Coinkat, if I could learn to do it and just keep in mind who is asking the question (the technically challenged you can learn to do it.
    Posting the images is all about filling your upload box with images and then posting them-it's not too tough but not intuitive and somewhat time consuming but after a while somewhat second nature. Taking the pics isn't too bad but I'm having more trouble with the photo editing software than I thought I would.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    See the Olympus C-5050 at GAZMA.com for only $489.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Same camera at Hype.com for $1123.00, no deal there.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Make sure you get NiMH rechargeable batteries in digital cameras. Digital cameras also come with flash cards that hold very few photos, I suggest you get a 256mb flash card as well if you like taking pictures at their highest resolution (which is what I do and high resolution images allow you to have better prints).
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking about a new digital camera if I have enough money left after FUN. I see soem of the photos that Phil, Bill and Scott are taking and there is no way my current camera will do that.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Go for it, Dead King! You're a high roller and can afford one, fortunately for you!! It's too bad I'm just a poor, broke English teacher...image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Make sure you get NiMH rechargeable batteries in digital cameras.

Agreed, but I have a question: how long are they supposed to last? They seem to give up the ghost in my camera after about 30 pictures in macro mode and need recharging.
  • Options
    We went out to look at cameras today. I think I like the Canon Phil mentioned. We also are going to get a new computer printer and we saw a Canon that could be hooked up directly to the camera. Good idea?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    My NiMH seem to last a long time. The Canon A70 and A80 need 4 of said batteries and so it has lots of staying power before a recharge.

Ajaan, I use a Canon i850 printer, you can hook the camera directly to it and make prints but I've never done this as I tend to like to make adjustments and photoshop.
  • Options
    We need a new printer because the kid's printer died. We like the Canon because the ink cartridges aren't too expensive. We'll put our BJC 6000 printer on his computer the new one on ours. If we buy the camera and printer from Best Buy they give a $50 rebate. Considering their price for the camera is $299 this isn't the greatest saving but is in line with the rice of a camera found online.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The cartridge for the printer; is it the kind of cartridge that is divided into 4 seperate cartridges? There's a cyan, yellow, magenta and black. This is a real advantage because if one colour runs out you can just have that colour cartridge refilled.
  • Options
    Yes, our BJC 6000 and the new Canon we saw has the four cartridges. I agree that it is very convenient, if the yellow runs out, just replace the yellow etc.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Speaking of which, my yellow cartridge is out image

But I managed to make a print of my sig coin and gave it to the dealer that sold it to me. That made him happy.
  • Options
    I got a Ricoh 5300 from the bay-of-e for less than $100 yesterday. Took my first pictures, down loaded them to my computer(with help from Russ of the liteside), uploaded them to CU, and learned to attach them to a post, include picture in post, include picture in signature line today. If I can so can you!

There is a great thread in the US Coin forum titled "posting pictures to the forum" that give you all the info.

There is lots of room for improvement on my part, but see first picture in signature line.

Dan
    The glass is half full!