Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I didn't want to do it...

I found another one of those coins that struck me with eye-appeal from a distance. With Al Jolson's "You Made Me Love You" ringing in my ears, I bought the darned coin.

Unfortunately the scanner doesn't pick up the great luster on the reverse.

Does anyone here collect Cyprus issues? I usually only collect George V silver, not George VI.

Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    I can see why you heard the music.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • I collect any world coins, the less common the country the better. Countries such as Mexico, Netherlands, etc I have plenty of. I would have plenty of British except I have a seperate British folder.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can see why you heard the music.image >>

You young people still listen to Al Jolson, don't you?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Great catch, Shiroh!!

That's an interesting denomination, too.image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Those rampant monkey/lions look pretty cool! Congrats on a nice coin, and on being published in Numismatist, shiroh. I haven't read your article yet, likely this week though.
    Joe
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭
    Shiroh, it went right over these young whipper-snappers heads.....

You Made Me Love You
    Al Jolson (1913)
    Music by James V. Monaco and Words by Joseph McCarthy
    Also sung by Cole Porter

You made me love you
    I didn't wanna do it
    I didn't wanna do it
    You made me want you
    And all the time you knew it
    I guess you always knew it

You made me happy sometimes
    You made me glad
    But there were times
    You made me feel so bad

You made me cry for
    I didn't wanna tell you
    I didn't wanna tell you
    I want some love that's true
    Yes, I do, 'deed I do
    You know I do

Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie what I cry for
    You know you've got the brand of kisses
    That I'd die for
    You know you made me love you

You made me cry for
    I didn't wanna tell you
    I didn't wanna tell you
    I want some love that's true
    Yes, I do, 'deed I do
    You know I do

Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie what I cry for
    You know you've got the brand of kisses
    That I'd die for
    You know you made me love you

heh heh
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that sounds like a cool tune. I haven't heard it.

But I'm jammin' to Jimi right now, "Concerts" and boy does that cat know how to jam. The particular song that's playing now is "Red House" and I think the words and mood must be similar.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you mind if we go back to the initial topic please? imageimageimage

18 piastres is the equivalent of a florin Jester; it's the highest denomination ever minted from British Cyprus (except a commemorative crown -45 piastres- in 1928).

Who collects coins from Cyprus?

image Can't think of anybody right now image

edit: the entire 1938 mint set costs around $280 in FDC condition.
    But there's a PROOF coronation 1938 set ,of which only 25 are known to exist. You really don't wanna hear the price it realized last year (and I thought I was gonna get it..)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to find some 1901 Cyprus silver, for when I branch out my daughter's 1901 Victoria type set beyond the homeland stuff and into the colonials. I think of all the colonial 1901 issues, the bigger coins from Cyprus and the Canadian half are among the tougher 1901-dated Victorian portrait coins to get.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • So it's a sixpence coin, basically? I don't recall seeing a coin from British Cyprus.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    All the George V silver from Cyprus I've seen (except the 45 piastres) has been heavily worn. I imagine George VI coins are easier to find in AU and UNC. If anyone has a George V 9 piastres or 18 piastres in XF or better condition, please let me know.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭
    1 florin = 18 piastres, 1 shilling = 9 piastres, 1 sixpence = 4 1/2 piastres and there's a 3 piastres denomination in silver as well.

Rob, regarding the 1901 coins from Cyprus, forget about it; the few coins that escaped the melting pots ,circulated for 40+ years. So far ,I've only been able to locate them in EF45 to AU50.

George V's coins are also extremely tough to locate in decent conditions,like the notorious 1913 and 1921 18 piastres,for about the same reasons as above.The only ones that are (still) readily available in unc are coins after 1938.

It's not a question of money: they just don't show up.The crown can be located very easily in unc (as a commem),but has a 750 mintage in proof (still easy to locate).
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3