Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Help!! Explanation of how set registry weighting works.

I posted a thread on here about advice on set building and there were 70 responses. To all those who lent their advice THANKS. I am new to the graded aspect of collecting, so could someone please PLAINLY explain how the grading works as far as the weighting of the cards versus the completion percentage. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Comments

• Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, the weighting works like this. You have so many cards in a set. There are commons and there are more difficult cards to obtain, the stars, rookies whatever. Because these cards are harder to obtain, they make these cards worth more in the set. So, a common that is weighted a 1, is the "easiest" to obtain, and the star's rookie that is weighted a 10, is the most difficult. These numbers are used in a formula to calculate the gpa of your set. Don't ask me to give that formula, because I don't know it. lol I hope this helps, I also hope that I'm sumwhat right.

Josh
    The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options
    the best way to look at it this is simplify it.

let's say a set has five cards......one and five are the tough cards so they're weighted a 10 and the rest are weighted 1, there's a possibility of 230 points. if you have all five cards psa 10 you have 100% with a gpa of 10.0. the gpa is the factor for the weights. you just multiply the psa grade by the given weight found in the set composition link. if you only have cards 2,3,4 psa 10(1x10+1x10+1x10)....you have 30 points out of a possible 230. so you might have 60% of the set but your gpa is going to be 30 divided by 230...or 1.3. on the other hand if you only have card 1 and 5 in psa 10 (10x10+10x10)you have 40% of the set but your gpa is going to be 200/230...or 8.7 gpa. hopefully this helped.

Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    Duner,

If you have all PSA 10's in your set, no matter how many, your GPA will be 10. I believe you meant to say "set rating".

Instead of going through it again, here is an example that I posted a few months back. It should give you a good idea of how this works.

Previous thread on Set Rating & GPA

Or you can just use one of my Set Registry Spreadsheets and take away all of the guessing and tedious math.

Feel free to ask questions, I'd be happy to help if anyone needs more info.

JEB.

• Options

I highly recommend using Virtuals spreadsheets. Best thing since sliced bread!! image Don't leave home without 'em anymore.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.