Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Gaines Collection, for sell

Payment via postal money order or cash only. If the total comes to more than $1000, I'll cover the cost of the additional money orders.

David

1909 NGC 66BN
1909 VDB NGC 66BN
1909-S NGC 65BN ...emm seems a little RB
1910-S PCGS 64BN
1911-D PCGS 65BN ...my opinion 62BN
1913 NGC 65BN
1914 NGC 65BN
1914-D PCGS 65BN ...at PCGS haveing the slab repaired.... wont be back for three weeks.
1914-S PCGS 65BN
1915 PCGS 65BN
1916 PCGS 64BN
1916-S PCGS 64BN
1917 PCGS 65BN
1918 PCGS 64RB ...my opinion 65BN
1919-D NGC 65BN
1919-S PCGS 65BN
1920 NGC 64BN
1920-D NGC 64BN
1920-S PCGS 65BN
1921-S PCGS 64BN
1922-D PCGS 65BN
1923-S PCGS 64BN
1924 NGC 65BN
1927 NGC 65BN
1927-D PCGS 65BN
1928-D NGC 64BN
1929-D PCGS 65BN
1929-S PCGS 63BN... nicer than many of my 65BN's... I have a 64BN min, on my set, but IMHO, PCGS really missed the boat on this one.

David

Comments

• Options
    The Gaines Collection!!! imageimageimageimageimage
    Excellent Set!!!image
    Congrats David!!! image
  • Options
    I agree with jonesy. Those are some nice high eye appeal RARE coins. Because of the low prices it may not be long before lots of people want to do exactly what Gaines is doing. Are you going to have a RB transition from 30-34 and then BU red after?

My set is raw Bu after 1934, and I want all P's and D's (except 14) in full red. I've been lucky to get some S's in red (17 and 19!) but I'm totally happy with high eye appealing RB's on 14-d and the tougher S's. It makes the set almost affordable for me, I say almost because I finally ran out of available coin money and still need 8 better dates (12-d,16-d,17-d,18-d,11-s,13-s,14-s,16-s). Hopefully I can still pick up one or two here or there though.

BTW David, my pcgs coins are in the registry ranked just after you (titled Lincoln Cents). Actually I keep flip flopping position with you. Watch out, I have a big addition coming soon! Hint, I bought it from Marcalan (Kyle Patrick collection. Another nice set!).
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I've worked hard on it. You're right that there is some true rareity there, without the prices. However, I think most of us will agree that the full red examples are the better investment. The guys with the cash want the best. And it's those guys that drive prices up. There's not a lot of people beatting down the doors to put together a set like mine... which is the only reason I can do it. I still have about 25 dates left, and there is a little room for upgrading. I hope to be done with the set within the next couple of years. I'll probably work on upgrades for a while afterwords, then go into the indian cent set.

Congrads on the coins you have comeing in. My registry problem is that I collect NGC coins to... the thing is, they're really nice coins. There are three or four that I'm thinking about buying right now, but all are NGC. I'm sure you'll leave me in the dust image.

As far as my post 1930 goals, I'd like them all in 66RD from 30-58, aside from the 31-D and 31-S, which I'd like to have in 65RD. I used to have a LOT of 67RD's. I sold out about a year ago, took my profits, and paid the truck off. Now the 67's are even higher. To buy them back now would be to take a net lose instead of my net profit.... a PQ 66RD is generally better than a generic 67RD. The trick is finding the PQ ones.

David

David
  • Options
    Well, right now everyone wants red, but who knows, people certainly don't mind toned silver coins, so maybe someday red browns and browns will be a lot more popular, esp if red's get way too high in price. Personally I think Lincoln's 1909-1929 in all grades (or say XF and better) are a great or at least safe investment. I think the slabbed 66's and 67's for most dates after 34 are very risky. Going through my raw set 35-58, I think about half are ms65 and half ms66. A few here and there may only be 64 and I'm looking to improve those. My 55-s I think very well could be ms67. Most of these coins cost me a few dollars or less. Since such a raw set can still be done, that's why I think those dates are risky.

Anyway, I applaud you if you buy the coins and not the holders. I have 6 NGC coins, 4 Icg, 1 segs, and 5 early mint marked coins raw. 5 of the ngc coins are nice and probably would cross, but why bother paying $90+ to do so, 2 of the ICG's are overgraded but I bought them at a price corresponding to the correct grade and they are nice coins, the segs I have is a problem coin so pcgs wouldn't take it anyway, but the problem is extremely minor and it is one of the nicest looking coins in my set, and the raw ones are no doubt original and if anything a grade better than what I bought them at. Anyway, you know how inconsistent even pcgs can be, with your 11-d and 29-s!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    so maybe someday red browns and browns will be a lot more popular, esp if red's get way too high in price...

Yah, I'm hopeful on that one. I bought my SVDB in January. Man that date is on fire. I could already turn about a 25% profit on that coin if I wanted to sell it. I hope the other dates will fall in the same line, but I'm doubtful the return will ever be as high as that of the reds, particularly the PQ reds.

I guess I'm a rogue collector; collecting PCGS and NGC, collecting the type of coins I want instead of the best investment. Sure, I have a lot of cash sunk into my set, and I could probably put together a fairly decent top twenty RD set given an exceptionally long collecting duration. Here's my deal, though... all I want is a really nice eye appeal set. You should see some of these BN's. I'd much rather have an attractive, fully struck, nicely toned BN than a RD with a mushy strike, spots, or other issues. And those PQ browns are cheaper than the P-U reds. I cant afford to buy the type of coins Stewart, Tom, High Desert, Mike, Don, Marc, Wayne... the list goes on and on... buy. So I buy the nicest eye appeal that I have a resonable chance of completeing. I also want to keep the set consistant. Man, there's just nothing like a well matched set; wheather it's RD, RB, or BN. So that's the reason I'm shooting for 100% bn from 1909-1929.

David
  • Options
    ttt so others can enjoy!! image