Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

eBay: 1970-D PCGS MS67 Kennedy. Pricing Speculations?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a coin just a few years ago would have told you would NEVER exist! Although MS66's could be located the Superb GEM grade of MS67 would not be reached for this date.
Well, WRONG!

Here is one being featured on eBay (Heritage Long Beach Sale).
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28292&item=2190486171

I think we're getting better at this (!)
What will be the final hammer price?

Could this be, outside of the 1964 SMS and the DCAM 64 AH and SMS's, the most expensive Kennedy to date?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat: I actually sold the coin a couple years ago after buying it on Teletrade.

IMHO there will likely be more MS67's of this coin slabbed as the mint sets were hoarded and a quick look at the undergrade pool sees the "pop" is fairly high. Having said that, of course, the coin is very desireable. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin; The mint sets were hoarded in large quantities but they trickled out
    for many years until there was a flood in the 1996 to 1999 era when the price went
    up a little. I'd be hardpressed to say that they were all dispersed but they do seem
    to be pretty much accounted for at this time. By the same token though these have
    been looked at a little harder so there may well be some gems put back.

While this date is a tough coin in the set like the '69 and '68 issues, they do occasionally
    appear very nice.

This set has suffered a lot of attrition because of the small date, the half, and a few gems
    that show up in them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CK: Very true.

Actually, there is another aspect of the 70(d) Kennedy which is highly desireable on the few specimens where it can be found in gem quality. Do you know what I am speaking of? image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    What? The pretty neat DDR or the PL?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CK: Correct!! - THE DEEP PROOFLIKE SURFACES rarely found on true gem 1970(d) coins. These are the caviar of 1970(d) Kennedies. If PCGS were recognizing DPL 1970(d) Kennedies, figure at least a 3 point bonus - making an MS65DPL on par with an MS68 in my book!!! image

Wondercoin

PS - I would also give "PL" coins a 1 point bonus image
  • Options
    The PL's are tough for these without a lot of marking. I've seen a virtually perfect
    example with a huge gouge on the cheek.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these in PL. I bought a PCI MS65 PL (back in the older, green insert, long dash- "PCI-knew-how-to-grade" days) and it now rests in an NGC 'MS64 PL' holder. It appears just like a 1965 SMS and even boasts slight contrast!
    I wish PCGS would designate 'PL' on their holders.

I like the 70-D but am afraid most all have been cherried for the good coins!

peacockcoins

• Options
    image I have an MS66 pop 157/2 That MS67 sure would be a nice upgrade.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i> I have an MS66 pop 157/2 That MS67 sure would be a nice upgrade.

>>

Beautiful coin! Is that your MS-66?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    YeP image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    That 66 sure looks nice too.
  • Options
    image I wonder what a 66 like this would sell for right now?
    Bill

09/07/2006