Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Kellogg's Kuestion ?

How did Kellogg's decide who was going to be in its sets from year to year. I am sure it was some sort of legal issue. There are some very good players who were left out. Aaron being the most obvious.
Kellogg's Krazy
1974 Topps

Comments

• Options
    Another question while I am at it. Why are the 75 kellogg's so difficult? I understand the 71's but why the 75's. To complete that set in an all nine graded form will be a great accomplishment.
    Kellogg's Krazy
    1974 Topps
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I don't know -- but I think Mike Schmidt should have been in more of the late 1970s Kelloggs sets. Do not understand that one to this day. I have two of the 1975 Kelloggs in 9, and I love them!

Your second question calls for King Kellogg!!!!!!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Tschaef - the Kellogg's packs were actually offered as Iron on Patches with "6 free 3-D baseball cards in side". I don't think that they actually had an agreement with Major League Baseball to sell baseball cards so they offered the cellos as Iron on Patchs with "free" baseball cards inside, and this is how they got around it. Zardoz knows more about this. Maybe he can shed some light.
  • Options
    King, help is out here.
    Kellogg's Krazy
    1974 Topps
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    tschaef........

First of all...Welcome to the board Todd! I know you have been a serious K Kollector for quite a while now.

The mysterious 75's......There is only speculation on why a basic set that was available from Kellogg's in complete set form is so hard to come by.....It might be one of those "fluke" things on manufacturing or product logistics. An employee might of damaged a bunch, or maybe they gave out most of the cards to employees...Who knows???...My guess is, because there were production reports of full runs, that a large quanity of these cards are sitting in a distributing house somewhere (OR could of been tossed out by the same dist. company).....

Here are a few facts about the 1975 Kellogg's set...........

It's the smallest population of all the basic sets from 1970 - 1983, except for the 1979 set. Only 248 total cards were submitted so far. (The 79 set had a number of problems with the plastic "darkening" as time goes on, which would explain the lower submission rate).

PSA total submissions per year:
    1970 8151
    1971 1741
    1972 1381
    1973 1049
    1974 1502
    1975* 248
    1976 1020
    1977 344
    1978 463
    1979 228
    1980 553
    1981 864
    1982 707
    1983 378

Compare the 1975 set with the first Kellogg's set 1970....A whopping 32.8/1 ratio.

There are only 2 known "variation" cards in the set. Grich and Hunter, none of which would lead anyone to believe that this set was hard to obtain.

I have only known about 1 complete set , and it resides with the author of this thread. The same set is also #1 on the registry. (atta 'boy Todd)

So I guess there is no real definite reason why the 1975 set is scarce.

Just 3-D Karma....I guess!!!

I'll keep looking for answers...

Larry

I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    thejamthejam Posts: 164
    i believe 75s are scarcer because they were offered in fewer brands of cereal so fewer sets/sheets were produced
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I bought a raw 75 set and sent it to psa and had the whole set graded at once. It was a fairly nice set as you can tell by the 10's. At the time I figured I would upgrade the rest of the set as cards became available. It has been nearly a year and I have yet to update a single card. I'm thinking of trying to purchase another nice raw set and submit and sell off the lower grades. Thanks for the facts Larry, those numbers were pretty interesting. I have a nice raw 79 set that I think I might submit next.
    Kellogg's Krazy
    1974 Topps
  • Options
    mikeschmidt...

Hey Marc, good point on the Schmidt card...........With all of the Kellogg's baseball sets running about 54 to 75 cards each, and the years running from 1970 through 1983, most people would think that Schmitty would have been in every set.......... All Kellogg's sets have MANY stars within them from their prospective years, so why wasn't Mike Schmidt in every set as well??.......He certainly belongs there!!!
    (So does Hank Aaron and about a dozen other players too!!!...)

Another 3-D mystery...........

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    thejam....

Interesting thought on your post.

Do you have any more data or thoughts along that line. I don't have any precise information on "what" brands had the promo cards inserted to.

Please tell us if you know about any of this.

Many thanks!!

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    thoughts: gather following info- 1) members on board name cereal brand(for respective year) that they KNOW came from a particular brand [i.e., raisen brand in 1971] 2) contact records department at kellogg's 3) review ebay for boxes 4) contact collectors of boxed cereal for additional information
  • Options
    As to the selection of the players, There are some notable omissions but, for the most part, the players selected were all good players.

I bet if someone did the research they'd find that a high percentage of the players in the 1970, 71 etc, Kellogg's sets played in an All-Star Game (note to youngsters, that was back when they finished the game and cared who won). Many of the players we now Konsider Kommons were actually really good players for a year or two.

The selection of the players in baseball is better than football. While you are asking about Hank Aaron, where's Bart Starr and Joe Namath?

Still, if you are looking for a set that's sized right, has a nice mix of stars and Kommons, and a lot of personality, the Kellogg's sets are incredibly fun and affordable.

By the way, the "1975 Kelloggs production run theory" that they were on unpopular boxes of cereal sounds like a good theory to me. I would like to know. I think that the 1975 set will be the fourth most popular Kelloggs baseball set after 70, 71 and 72 ATG.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    while popularity of brands may be a factor, the number of brands having cards inserted may be more significant. Unpopular brands may indicate a warehouse stash, but having 2 brands instead of 3 carrying cards would truly affected production/distribution... in 1975 you might have received a lollypop ring in raisen bran instead of a card
  • Options
    as for players, i anticipate that kelloggs attempted to get a "star" from each team in order to increase sales of cereal in each market. Additionally, since cards are popular for kids, what kid wanted old man yaz instead of a garvey ... exception noted: willie mays was universally admired by kids no matter what his age
  • Options
    thejam -

That is an interesting observation on the player selection and may well be correct. As for the brands of cereal, I didn't know that kellogg's put them in different brands. I collected them as kid and believe the first cards I got was in 74 and I collected them all through the rest of the 70's and into the 80's. The only brand I remember them ever being in was Frosted Flakes. Were they in other brands?
    Kellogg's Krazy
    1974 Topps
  • Options
    Sorry, I can offer very little light on the subject. I can only guess that there problems in the production run.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES