Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What are some of the reasons I should start a 1965 Topps baseball set?

Hi Guys, I have been inching closer and closer to starting a 1965 Topps baseball set. What are some of the reasons I should start one? I would like some reasons to fan the collecting flames into a bonfire. I currently have no cards from this set. We all know that the true test for collecting a new set is to get some in and see how it feels. That moment hasn't happened yet. I look forward to hearing from the 65 experts and newcomers with your insights on this special set. Neil (Neil B. Downey and Sons)

Comments

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I don't collect the set (yet). But I came across some '65 commons in PSA 8 last night while searching ebay's ended auctions. A lot of them received no bids and were listed at under $10. I'm sure you could get a good % of the set really fast at the prices I've seen. That's how I started my '60 and '75 sets - sort of accidentally because of the great prices. image

Oh yeah, '65's have a cool, classic design as well.

JEB.
  • Options
    Neil,

I think the 65 set was the best ever produced. I regret every day having sold mine. It has great rookie cards and a great design. I think it would be a great choice.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Because I am not collecting it!!!image

I would e-mail some of the guys on the 65 set registry and get their views.They might also turn you onto some cards at a good price. Sounds like you have already made up your mind.image

Good Luck,

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    NEIL - Its a great set and has everything...Top notch design, great player selection from HOF rookies of Carlton, Morgan, Catfish & Perez to the games superstars like Mantle, Clemente, Aaron, Koufax, Mays, Rose etc.. Last cards of Berra, Nellie Fox, Spahn, Larsen & Stengel, World Series, leaders, Team cards & SP's.
    Theres also a good core of '65 collectors, I've made many trades and picked up many contacts through them. WAYNE was a great '65 ambassador who helped me out w/ trades, knowledge and comp cards and is missed amongst the ranks.
    JEB is correct, its currently a buyers market and there are deals to be had. The many aggresive buyers are down to a precious few (I'm 6th on the registry w/ 94%) So you can pick up many common PSA-8's at the opening bid. And before you know it, you'll be adding many to your set. Since you do not own a 'slabbed '65 PSA-8. If you would like me to send you one to get the ball rolling, Email me and I'll send you a Mantle, Rose or a common (my choice)image ..jay
  • Options
    Jay,

I haven't started this set yet either. Can you send me the Mantle in 8 or better? I'll pay you by check, paypal, or '88 Topps commons (my choice). image

JEB.
  • Options
    JEB - I never mentioned funds or even a trade. I just wanted to seduce Neil with a chance of a Mantle PSA-8 to get the ball rolling. If he responds I will send him a Mantle, Rose OR a beautiful PSA-8 common. And I will make the same offer to you, if you start a '65 set and register it with intent of collecting it. I will send you my choice either a Mantle, Rose, Ken Rowe, Joe Azcue or another '65 superstarimage. You can't lose by winning...jay
  • Options
    Neil,

See what I mean.
    Guys like Jay are exactly the reason you jump in and get started. I know you enjoy the comradery with the Fab Five of 72' and it is evident that the 65' gang can be just as uplifting to your collecting spirits.
    You can do this.
    In several years you will look back and be glad that this moment defined the beginning of the next great quest.
    Best of Luck in your decision.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options

Best reason to start a '65 set?

Because I will get you started by (a) selling you mine at SMR, 70% complete, around #8 on the Registry, with (4) PSA 9's, (283) PSA 8's, (121) PSA 7 and (9) PSA 6, or (b) buying from you or your agent(s) the 30% I don't have at SMR. Your choice.image

At 70% complete and concentrating on other years, I'm ambivalent as to which way to go.

If you'd rather ease into it, I also have over 50 duplicates, (30) in PSA 7 (Mets, Indians teams, two checklists, 18 high #s) and (20) in PSA 6 (Morgan, Aaron, Brock, Yankees Team, Murakami) that I will sell for $600 (barely covers my grading fees) to really get you started.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Neil,

Reasons to start 1965 --

* Clean design with great photos
    * Player selection (great HOF, Rookies, etc.)
    * Value (typically 1965 cards go below SMR in 8 and 9)
    * Availability (the first round of 100% sets are finishing up, the market is fairly predictable)
    * Collectors (Jay, Basilone, and others are willing to trade and work together)
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,131 ✭✭
    Neil> Another reason to start the 65 set is one you may find obvious -
    -- You're pretty much done with the 72 set.

It's tough to build more than one set at a time, believe me. At least it is if you do it right anyway.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Neil,

I very happy to hear that you are thinking about 65's. I had a good number earlier this year and sold them both privately and thru auction. I then looked into other sets (1963 Fleer, 1964 Giants, 1961, etc.). Everytime I purchased a card...I kept thinking how I liked the 1965s...and I had some strange attraction towards them. So...in Nov 2002 I started the thing back up...using the knowledge that I learned from these boards and watching the eBay market every day for the past solid year. In my second attempt...Im finding that Im a much more savvy collector and purchasing cards at a price point where I will actually be able to keep the set once I complete it rather than having to sell it.

With the increased POPs of some of the cards...it is alot more economical to add PSA 9's here or there and will not break the bank. My personal opinion is to collect PSA 8 or higher. Many of the big guns are 90%+ towards completion and there are many on the registry that simply are not that active. There are hundreds of PSA 8s that can be had a great price. My goal is that when the time comes for me to snag ther really hard low pops...that the big guns will have gotten theirs and the prices will have come down a bit.

The design of the set (In my opinion) is 20 years ahead of its time...the player selection is great with a mix of HOF rookies and stars from the 50's as well. There is also a nice mix of head shots and poses so the set provides very nice eye appeal.

Best of Luck with your decision and Im postive that any of the current (or former) 1965 collectors would be more than happy to provide any advice or answer any questions that you may have.

John
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    you can pick up some 1965 commons from "Zardoz51" on ebay. They are GAI 8's, but you'll get them cheap and you can bust them out and send them to PSA.

Should cross over just fine
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Neil--If I wasn't neck deep in 67's and 68's, I'd have kept my 65's! There are about 50 on EBAY now (including some very lo pops), and will be another 30 by Thursday. I think they look as nice as 71-72 Hockeyimage. Go for it!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Boys & Girls, it looks like Neil will be joining the elite group of 1965 collectors, our statements obviously had an impact and he is ready to take the plunge. I will be shipping him a PSA-8 to get him started, so now he only has 597 to goimage...jay
  • Options

Looks like Neil and I will be battling back and forth for several years to come. Im sure we will get to know each other pretty well. Im sure down the road we will be able to help each other out with our sets.

Welcome to the 65's Neil...and Best of Luck,

John
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, I suppose that the cat is out of the bag. All of you have been very supportive of my new quest. My only hope is that I come to know some of the 65 crew as well as I have the 72 troop. I have thought for many years that the 1965 set was an incredible vintage set. I have been almost wiped out by the 1972 Topps set. I will be lurking in the shadows for awhile until I can recover. I don't believe that I will be much of a threat to many for some time to come. However, every once in a while when a few crumbs fall off of the table - I'll be there to take the cheap ones. Neil
  • Options
    Neil,

For the "Love of the Game"!

Besides, those 1965 crumbs are some pretty nice cards!
    Stay active on the boards and report your progress now and again. Its a subject that never gets old. Great post responded to by a great bunch of guys!
    Best of Luck.

RayB69Topps

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    The 1965 guys are a solid bunch. Even those of us (Wayne, me, etc) that no longer collect the set, still keep in touch with those that do.

Congrats on picking a great set to work on. Good luck with #22...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Wow,

I've been following this thread and it does seem that there are a great bunch of guys out there collecting this set (or former collectors). I'm seriously thinking about starting it myself, especially after seeing some of the prices on ebay for PSA 8 commons that I mentioned in my first post here. I wasn't planning on starting a new set yet, but now might be the right time. I'll contemplate it a little longer, follow some more ebay auctions, and continue to read the informative posts here. Thanks to everyone.

JEB.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,131 ✭✭
    Neil> "I don't believe that I will be much of a threat to many for some time to come."

Just remember. . .it will always take longer when you have standards. Just like with the 72 set, don't rush and get cards you'll be happy with. Do that and you can't go wrong.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    JEB - My offer to you is still vaild. Take the plunge and I'll send you a PSA-8 to get you started. We lost a few members like Wayne (who did complete an awesome set), Brian & Mike. So we have a recruiting drive to find replacement set builders. Plus a bunch of us existing collectors, are down to a handful of cards, so I hate to see '65 auctions end w/ no bidders. So JEB get on board image and you will be a cool '65 guy...jay
  • Options
    We still have the 1965 listserve. Volume has been very low, but we can kick it up again.

Its a great set...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    I tried posting the link..but it says you have to be a member. Those who are intersted please contact TheBobs.....he will be able to set you up.

John
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Can any 1965 Set collectors tell me what the following lot of PSA 9's (some very low population) could bring on the open (EBAY) market?

I have an offer - but I think it might be low.
    I don't trade in 65's at this point - I know 67's - but I could dive into the 1965 sometime soon....

I'm inclined to put them up to the open market - but there are other items I would like to sell - and if the offer is close, it will save me a lot of scanning-email-post office work- etc.....

The lot is: #'s 596, 592, 587, 582, 576, 572, 570, 566, 564, 555, 542, 541, 508(large print), 403, 91, 57 - again, all well centered PSA 9's....
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    sjjs28-

Please send me an email.

John

basilone@neo.rr.com
  • Options
    Sjjs,

I would guess that you would get between $1000 to $1200 for the group. Last summer you could have probably gotten a significant amount more but the bidding on the 9's is down quite a bit right now. There are 3-4 higher pop cards that would bring maybe $50 each and 3 low pop cards that could sell around $80 or $150 depending on who wants them. Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason to what a particular cards sells for. There are some nice cards in that group.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Wayne would know... If I had high grade 1965s, I would wait for the next wave of set builders to start bidding...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Brian - Thats easier said then done. Many collectors must liquadate a chunk of cards to collect other things or to pay bills. To put cards on "hold" for awhile may not be that prudent. Plus time will add more #'s to the pops. Its a judgement call that the seller must utilize, and oh yeah! prices may go down too!...jay
  • Options
    I hear you Jay.

But if PSA 9s in 1965 go below 50% then we are in trouble huh? I'd say that right now, 1965 prices are as soft as any Topps regular set in the 1960s. Could they get softer, yep? But if one is in a situation that they can hold the cards, I'd say that is a good way to go. Pops on 9s right now don't matter, as Skipm is the only player. With Wayne gone, and the Duke nearly at 100%, not many players in the 9 arena right now. Many set collectors will by the 1965 9, but only at the right price. Only player and team collectors right now can rally a 1965 9 it seems.

Let me know when you want to get that 10 off of my hands image BTW, how is your son doing?

Brian

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    thebobs,

I agree - the team collectors are really all that is sustaining the 65 psa 9 market right now. I've noticed several bidders who routinely go $40 or so on every 9 just to pick up the ones that are overlooked. But if you get 2 of the Dodger's collectors going after a card, who knows what it could bring. Skip has really backed off his bidding lately and the duke is active but only at very fair prices. It's a drastic change from last summer when pop 2 or 3 psa 9's were normally going over $125. I wish I could guess what the market was going to do - I'd make a fortune. My best guess is that it is somewhat bottomed out right now.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options

Knew I could count on the vast, market-wise experience this board provides.....

I'm thinking I'll build the 1965 ... with the start that I have ... and the "softness" of the market - I'm sure I'll have success picking up 9's and nice 8's - reasonable. Afterall it is my 2nd favorite set behind the 67.... Now I wish I didn't sell my Mantle 9 a few years back

Hopefully more success that fighting that mad crew of 1967 sniper-sharks led by flyliner, larryh626, et, al. It's probably going to be hunting down raw cards at the Ft. Washington show and shipping them off for grading (unless I find that primo 9 I just have to slip into my set!)
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    DOG!!!! You shoulda' told me you were taking the plunge on the 65's before I sent them to EBAY. Good luck, and anything that even temporarily distracts you from the 1967 set is a good thing in my bookimage.

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options

I just won a 1965 High # (SMR of $22) for $8.50 on eBay the other week. The market is as soft as ever.

John
  • Options
    Hey EJGURU Dog! -
    Shot me an email at work and let me know which one(s) of your 65's I just can't let get away!

I think you know what kind of card I'm looking for -
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
  • Options
    Brian - Like i said its a judgement call. Even SKIPM slips in and out of bidding, I have 3 PSA-9's that are 1 of 1's, which would have cost me a ton more if he were active when I got them.

Regarding my boy, he was home on leave for 10 days after completing his infantry training at Camp LeJuene NC. He had a great time setting up w/ me at Ft Washington on Friday, and seeing relatives and relaxing. Saturday I took him to the Balt/Wash airport where he had to fly to Raliegh/Durham to meet with his outfit, then to Atlanta, Los Angeles and to his new home in Honolulu. The group prior to his is deployed in Kuwaiit awaiting orders so his mother and I are grateful he's in Hawaii for the time being. I told him if I knew he was going to be stationed in Hawaii, I'd join the Marines too! - Thanks for asking...jay
  • Options
    Jay-

You boy could always stop by "Alohaet's" house to check out his collection if he gets a card fix!!

Thats good news to hear....

A marine told me that Hawaii is nice but alot of mountains...and the training excercises are tough!!! Not exactly a day at the beach (no pun intended).

John
  • Options
    John - Maybe so! But his mother and me like the idea that he can go surfing in Hawaii instead of strafing in Baghdad. Plus it gives me the excuse to attend the "Big Kahuna" Kit Young's annual trade show, then we can feast at Alohaets houseimage ...jay
  • Options
    Jay, thanks for the update. My best wishes as always. I would figure you selling the 1/1 for a nice profit, then turning those 3 9s into 6 or 7 9s. Once you decide to build the set in 10, let me know image

John, nice buy. Getting a 65 PSA 8 at under 10 bucks is too sweet.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    TEST
    1965 Topps
    1975 Topps
    1952 Topps
    HOF
  • Options
    Wow!
    And for the longest time I thought that I couldn't log onto the message boards...
    As people have been saying, and I am sure that your mind is made up anyways, this set is the best! I have been collecting this set since the 7th grade (I got an EX Bob Gibson for a mere $3.00) and have always thought that the design of the cards was far superior to any design from the 1960's, especially 1964 and 1966. And I also think that it's true that the prices on eBay are very soft these days and if you have a few extra dollars to spend, try and get as many deals as possible. There really isn't anything that I could add that has not already been said, but I do wish you the best of luck and I am sure I will be seeing you in the registry. image

Dave
    sellerman23
    1965 Topps
    1975 Topps
    1952 Topps
    HOF
  • Options
    another test (to subscribe to thread)
    1965 Topps
    1975 Topps
    1952 Topps
    HOF
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, Thank you all for your insights and knowledge. As some of you may know, I have chossen to start a modest collection. I will start the fire slow and let it grow into a bonfire. If anyone has any high pop - low priced PSA 7 NQ or PSA 8 NQ cards for sale, please contact me at nbdowney@msn.com
  • Options
    I started my set last week, largely due to this thread. I'm up to a grand total of 11 cards, all low numbered higher pop cards(in fact all between 1 and 100). Thanks again to The Bobs for signing me up on the listserve and thank you all as you are a wealth of informaton and a credit to our hobby.

Troy
    Always looking for pre 1990 rookies and stars, pre 1970 baseball (all) and HOF game used.

tradelist