Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hey 69er's

I just checked the pop report and it seems the Shannon 8 has a pop of seven now. That is two more than last month so the card should be easier, maybe. I just got a Chance 620 for 57.00 and it has a pop of three in 8. Go figure. I also saw the Duncan moved to 3 in eight. Now we just need someone tofind some Andrews.

Dave
Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com

Comments

• VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Dave,

Did you know that the only PSA 9 Shannon graded is up on Superior's current auction? I placed a low bid yesterday and got outbid almost immediately. It's up to $85 right now. Auction ends March 27. Who's going after this one? Any guesses how high it will go? Does anyone know who currently owns it?

JEB.
  • StumpStump Posts: 927
    I am currently the high bidder. I am going after it and I thought Bob(gaspipe) owned it. DHcards was the submitter but I was told a women fron New York owns it. Anyway it gos its a nice Shannon.

Dave
    Good luck on that one Dave. It is a very nice card. Too expensive for me right now - I am focusing more on some other sets first and picking up the "deals" on '69s. It's probably to my benefit financially to wait until you and several others finish the set anyway. image

JEB.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    JEB,

That Shannon PSA 9 sold for $519 to ebay ID "tigie" on 12/21/02.

Link to auction

Out of principle, I'll never give someone the satisfaction of making a quick buck on something. That price was too much for that card in the first place, and I do have an interest in the card, my bid on Superior won't even be half of what this guy paid for it. The more a card gets hyped, the more likely others will show up, and we're seeing this now with the Shannon. Please remember that the first Shannon PSA 8 sold for $500 and when these latest 8's show up, it wouldn't surprise me if they go for less than $100. The market eventually gets efficient.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that too. It looks like the prices will start coming down on that card soon.
    How can anyone justify spending over $500 on a PSA 9 common from this era? image The highest I've paid is about $70 for a 1970 Topps common in PSA 9. I thought that was too much and I don't think I'd ever go that high again on one - not even a 1/1.

Populations will continue to increase over time. I'd hold onto my 8's until prices come down on the 9's before paying that much. I realize that it is rare in high grade and a lot of collectors jump at the chance to own the "only one", heck I've done it myself. I'd never recover anything close to the money I have spent on a lot of my sets, but I'm not building them for that reason, so I'm happy. I guess everyone has different ideas of "value". To each their own.

JEB.
    You guys are right. The classic example of supply and demand with a added dash of hype. The rock is at its highest. Got nowhere to go but down now.

Dave
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Out of principle, I'll never give someone the satisfaction of making a quick buck on something. >>

I thought thats what guys do when they pick thru raw cards at dealers tables, only to resubmit the next day to PSA and list on eBay a few weeks later. Buying off eBay...then cosigning with Superior...then waiting for the check to come in..takes a quite bit longer.

John

• The only quick buck made in Sports Cards is to hit a low BIN before anyone else does . . .

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    DHcards sold the card on Ebay. Unless the winner reneged, how can he be the submitter? If he is the submitter for another party then I have a problem with that. I owned the Andrews in 9 and sold it awhile back to gemint I believe.
    Bob

My point was Dhcards was the submitter to PSA not to superior. At one point I has thought you had won it on ebay but dude showed a link to the auction end. Also congrats on the Yaz 9 its a beauty.image

Dave
    Dave,
    I expected it to go high, but not that high. Virtually impossible and may never be seen offered again. I think I paid $500 too much, but I'll put it away. Its as good as gold.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Speaking of 69's...I see that Jay of QualityCards has a nice selection of them up for auction.

John
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JOHN - Thanks for the plug, I currently have 2 dozen PSA-8's on eBay all with pops of 11 or less, hopefully they will all find a new home....jay
    Jay

They will find a home if I have anything to say about it. I marked about 10 of them.

Dave
  • I don't want to create a new 1969 message so I'll mention my latest submission here. I just received my results: 1969 cards. Of interest, the following were previously in GAI 8 holders: #243, #258, #290, #297, #344, #414, #461 and #532. Two upgraded to PSA 9 and one faired worse. In addition, #77 and #87 came from an unopened pack; the Perranoski did have a slight bend in the right upper corner that was obviously picked up by PSA. It is important to note that the GAI cards came from the same source that Bob Cacamese cherry picked the PSA 9 Art Shamsky and PSA 9 Al Weis.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
    Great submission Ron! Good job on the 1 of 1 Hernandez PSA 9. That was the last card I needed to complete my set and is a tough one. You got some tough cards in 8 or 9 in that submission and you'll do some serious damage to the registry with those additions. Keep up the good work.
    Ron

Wonderful job on that submission. Some very tough eights and some awesome nines. If any are for sale let me know. I saw many I could use.

Dave
  • Nice run of cards Ron! That Kekich is a keeper! I've always found Gagliano to be tough also. Gotta be real happy with the lot. I am sure these will fit nicely in your awesome set. Best of Luck!
    Regards
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • ajetfanajetfan Posts: 229
    My partial 69 set is now listed in the set registry. It's listed under "ajetfan's 1969 Topps set - 21st Current Finest Set". If there are any of my cards that are needed my any of you '69er's', send me an email (ametfan@optonline.net). I'm hoping to move some of my 69s as well as some of my 68s. Thanks!
    Mitochondria,

Kudos on your submission! You picked up some real "toughies"!
  • Dan,

Thank you for the kind words. Nevertheless, you still have the best 1969 Roy White in the world!!! image

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
    Mitochondria,

Thank you! Like wise -- you have the best #8 Leaders card. That's a gem!
    Wow, great card Ron. I didn't realize you had the only PSA 9 of #8. I also see you own the only PSA 8 Andrews. When you get that set finished in 8 or better, your set will be virtually invincible.
    Gemint

Hey dont you have the best Mike Andrews. I thought I saw the nine in your set. Thats about a toughie.image

Dave
    Dave - I do have the 9 Andrews but I've got a long way to go to make up for all those 9's and 10's in Ron's set. image
  • ajetfan - Welcome to the 69' fray. This is as good a group of knowledgeable collectors as you will find. Good luck on your pursuit of the 69' set.

Dude - Thanks for listing that Higgins; It has been getting very tough acquiring some of the cards I need to get closer to the finish line. I have spent some of that idle time working on the upgrade angle also since filling holes has become difficult. I picked up a nice #24 Alston PSA 9 to upgrade the 7 I had and hope to continue with this process.

Finally while we are back patting, It is a humbling pleasure to be in amongst the best 69' sets Ive ever seen (Dude, Mitochondria, Stump & Gemint!) I'll continue to look to upgrade my Andrews 7 :-)

RayB69Topps

Yikes!! I just looked at the Superior auction and noticed that the '69 Shannon PSA 9 is approaching $500 and then later I noticed that an "8" went for $200 and some change over the weekend. What I'm I missing on this?
  • Dude - The legendary status of the Mike Shannon card! Even as POP's continue to rise to meet the demand the legendary status lives on! It has become sort of a cult synonym for the "tough card"... Such as this card is "Shannon-like".

Funny thing is I have begun a 66' set also and the word is that Shannon has legendary status there too! Seems to follow me around; these things... still waiting for my 69' version. I'd even settle for a nice 7 of the 69' if anybody's selling.

Keep the faith!
    RayB69Topps
    I just put a $200 bid on every Shannon in 8 that shows up and someone always beats me.
    RayB,

Excellent analysis. I only hope that this card's "cult status" brings more 8's and 9's out on the market. Unlike other years I collect, the '69 auctions are by far the strangest. There are a lot of auction winners that I've never seen before and then they fade off into oblivion after paying some obsurd price for an 8. Then some tough cards go reasonably cheap like the Dave Duncan PSA 9, 1 of 1 (around $80 as I recall) and then the first Shannon PSA 8 goes for over $500. Go figure!

I too would be very happy with a well centered PSA 7 Shannon, if it's like my Radatz PSA 7. I can't see paying $150 to 200 for an 8 of a common. Maybe in a few years we'll see some stability in the populations and then really know how scarce some of these cards are.
  • Saw a couple of PSA 8 WL's on ebay.
    It's really strange what hype can do for a card. There are other cards in the set that now have lower pops than the Shannon and still bring in less money, even 1 of 1 PSA 9's. The Pilot's Rookies with Lou Piniella is a tough card and a PSA 9 just went for $70. I think the Shannon will drop in value but we'll need to see another half dozen or so 8's before that happens.