Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Congratulations to Neil Downey - 1972 Topps set 100%

Congrats to Neil!!!

Another one of the original FAB FIVE members has reached that 100% milestone!!!!

Doing it on a budget and being very picky about the PSA 8's that he included, he's built a 787 card monster thats a real winner!!!!

AGAIN CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Amazing Neil. This is an inspiration -- you can build it the right way without selling a kidney.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    A monumental accomplishment. Congratulations!
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Bobs - thats not funny!!! He was really attached to that kidney!

But, what the heck, he was able to pick up a few 9's and some really tough 8's for it!!! image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Congrats Neil! I know how long you've been working on it.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Awesome job! Congrats!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Tony thinks you've done good!

aconte
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Neil! Building that set is no small task. What's next?
  • Options
    I cannot fathom building a set of that magnitude, all PSA graded!

Bravo!

Buy this man a drink!
  • Options
    Interchanges> Because of its size, it's a tough set to be sure. . . but. . .there's a vicious rumour going around that someone out there may be giving the set a second go-round.
  • Options
    How'd you get the cleon jones ia so fast ?image
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • Options
    It seems like just a short time ago that I mentioned to my friend Neil that I had begun work on a PSA graded 69' set as a natural extension of my childhood raw set. I stumbled across the registry here on PSA's web site (in its very early form) and thought what a great idea it was to catalog your cards and list them with other collectors with the same goal.
    At that time 100% seemed like just a dream.
    Neil and I got to talking about this and I began to egg him a bit about his childhood set and he agreed it might be a really neat idea to go back and try and collect the 72's which held a warm spot in his faded memories. A few more discussions combined with my enthusiasm regarding PSA, the registry, and graded card collecting and he "bought the ranch" and became singularly focused on building his PSA graded 72' set! Very, very focused!
    Frank B is right. For Neil they had to be solid 8's. Nice corners, good centering, no diamond cuts and clean, clear registry and oh yeah; the price had to be right.
    You have to know Neil; once he got involved in this, patience was a very difficult virtue to uphold. But he always maintained his personal standards for this set and the finished product is a wonder to behold.
    Congratulations Neil.
    When you started this endeavor I know you did not envision arriving at the promised land so soon. It is a testament to what a person can do if they stay committed, stay focused, and share this energy with a network of great collecting comrades that has assembled itself here at the registry and its related boards to enjoy the rewards of our fine hobby.
    787 cards.....just amazing!
    Bask awhile in the glory of it all then just think; you can upgrade or start another project.
    Have fun.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    I also collect the colorful 72's.......

I stand in total awe of the FAB FIVE, and what you guys have completed!!!!!

Maybe someday I'll be there too....

787 PSA graded cards.......

(Is it OK now to use the "W" word????..............you know I'm thinking it!!)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Ray,

The more that I think about it, Neil probably is the only person on the planet with a 787 complete set plus all of the variations graded as well. If he doesn't have them all - I know that he's still the closest one to date yto complete the "Master" 72 set. I know that he has all of the checklist variations and he has at least 2 of the 4 - 1st Series Cubs "Green" variations in PSA form.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Great Job Neil....Congratulations!! Are you headed towards 1965's next?

John
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of your comments. Who would have known that back on December 4th 1998 that I would be here? That card was a Dave Kingman rookie card (PSA 8 NQ). He never made it into the hall of fame but all of you have made me feel like I have. I was considering doing the set for a few months after getting the Kingman until my best friend Ray Boehm convinced me to do it. I was the first one to request that the 1972 Topps baseball set be posted and I was the first one to list my set. I guess that makes me the "Founding Father". Since then it has been a great ride. All of you have made this dream such a wonderful reality. As we all know, nobody does it along so let me take this time to thank some of the extra special people that helped me beyond compare (In not particular order). Ray Boehm (1969 Topps), Frank Bakka (1972 Topps King), Mickey Campbell (Mickey’s Sportscards), Steve Pekovich, Mike Castaldi, Carlos Aponte, Dave Read (Third on the all time list for 1972 Topps – needs 4 more cards to complete), Dale Wedge, Erik Jarvi (second on the all time list for 1972 Topps), Gayle and B.J. at PSA and my two boys Eric – 12 and Brian 10 (They are the sons in Neil B. Downey and Sons). Once again – Thanks, Neil B. Downey
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    GREAT JOB NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Neil,

Outstanding job!! Its been a long and winding road but you have done.

Congrats,

Erik
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, Just in case anuone wants to know. I still would like to update 7 of the cards in my set from PSA 7 NQ to PSA 8 NQ. They are 32 Cleon Jones - IA, 50 Willie Mays - IA, 178 Paul Schaal - IA, 300 Hank Aaron - IA, 409 Frank Baker, 611 Rich Reese and 655 Jerry Grote. If anyone comes across any of these 7 cards, please let me know. Also I have been asked what is next. I am currently working on a PSA graded 1971-72 Topps hockey set (1st in registry) and a PSA graded Gary Carter player set (1st in registry). I have for some time really wanted to do a PSA 8 or better 1965 Topps baseball set. It is an incredible looking set with just about the best collection of all time stars and minor stars. That set would be a great one to do when I start having money again. If anyone wants to give me any to start me off, let me know - lol. Thanks again for all of the nice comments. Neil
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, I was the lucky winner of a #32 Cleon Jones - IA card. This leaves me with the following 6 cards that I would still like to upgrade to a psa 8. They are #50 Willie Mays - IA, #178 Paul Schaal - IA, #300 Hank Aaron - IA, #409 Frank Baker, #611 Rich Reese and #655 Jerry Grote. If anyone has any of these cards available for sale, let me know. Thanks again, Neil
  • Options
    Neil> There's an Aaron IA in PSA8 NQ on the current Superior auction. It does indeed look very nice for the grade. The next bid increment is $153 ($176 with buyer's fee).

Good luck.

Mike