Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card grading help needed please

I was reading on a different thread about how "rare" this card is so I probably should get it graded in case someone wants it. POP for this variation is 18 in all grades for PSA and 1 at SGC. I'm sure there are more not graded and not recognized.

My questions are Where would you suggest getting it graded and also any guesses on the grade would be helpful. I know it's not mint or nice but I have to guess at a value for sending it in. Appreciate any help!

Comments

• I'd say PSA 3 based on the back with the whitening/color loss and scuffing, the pink paper rolling over and exposing brown. Felt the front would have it at 4 or 5 on a great day. But the back drags it down I think.

What is the rare aspect of it? White letters?

I know its hard with rare stuff to learn what it would go for and find sale prices. But may not be worth your time and money in low grade. I'm not too familiar with the card though so I'd defer to someone else.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 8:34PM

Definitely grade it.
    Some sales this year:

Pirates Rookies #567 (NO BLACK OUTLINE ON TITLE)

1/22/2024 $13,600.00 PSA 3 ebay
    3/5/2024 $23,400.00 PSA 8 Heritage
    4/8/2024 $8,229.99 PSA 4 ebay

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭

Based on value, it would cost you at least $249 (for $5k value) at PSA. They might upcharge you to the next tier ($499) based on how they grade it..

SGC will charge $85 for up to $3500 value, then it jumps to $249. I personally would only use PSA as its value is never disputed, where people will sometimes say there is a discount % to PSA value when graded by someone else.

• jimqjimq Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice! I thought it was probably a 3 also, just nice to have somebody else feel the same way. There's a special right now for cards under 5000 and I think this is easily that. If they upcharge me so be it.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    I'd say PSA 3 based on the back with the whitening/color loss and scuffing, the pink paper rolling over and exposing brown. Felt the front would have it at 4 or 5 on a great day. But the back drags it down I think.

What is the rare aspect of it? White letters?

I know its hard with rare stuff to learn what it would go for and find sale prices. But may not be worth your time and money in low grade. I'm not too familiar with the card though so I'd defer to someone else.

The error is referred to as “no black outline on title” in the PSA database. There is supposed to be a black border on the white “1969 ROOKIE STARS”. This error is quite rare and sought after.

• gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be shocked if it gets a 3, especially with the way the back looks. I'd be hoping for a 2 personally.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a 1.

• jimqjimq Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys! I was thinking about cards I used to send in that came back 3 or 4. I'm fine with a 1 or 2, it's not something i collect and being in a holder will give people confidence that it's not a fake.

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭✭

At that price point it's a no brainer

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians