Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Selling My Toned Wheat Cents PCGS Registry Sets Through Great Collections-Linked Now, First Post

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 21, 2024 4:17AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Just a heads-up to those interested that I have now consigned my two complete Registry Sets of Toned Lincoln, Wheat Reverse cents to Great Collections. They are, respectively, #4 and #8 Current Finest. I have gotten them about as far as is possible and there are some very nice toned (and some untoned) Lincolns in those sets. These are being marketed as From the VDB Collection of Lincoln Cents at Great Collections. Many of these coins are also CAC-approved. GreatPhotos(TM) of all coins are now posted!

Link to all of our Lincoln, Wheat Cents consigned at Great Collections, three successive weeks, closing Sept. 1, Sept. 8, Sept. 15, all now open for bidding!
https://greatcollections.com/search.php?q=VDB+Collection&mode=product&sort=01

Here are links to the Image Galleries on the PCGS site for the two sets, including many Trueviews:
Set #4
https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/lincoln-cents-specialty-sets/lincoln-cents-toned-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1909-1958/imagegallery/160248

Set #8
https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/lincoln-cents-specialty-sets/lincoln-cents-toned-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1909-1958/imagegallery/318113

Thanks for your attention!

Kind regards,

George / VDB Coins

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Sweet

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• goldengolden Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice- looking cents! Good luck.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Very nice- looking cents! Good luck.

Thank you! I'm excited about it ...

Kind regards,

George

1914-D MS65BN PCGS CAC
    Nicest of about 10 examples I have considered over the years in this grade

1914-D MS64+BN PCGS CAC 'Blueberry'

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have some very nice coins there. Good luck with your sale.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• robecrobec Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see you pulling out of the registry George. I’ve enjoyed scanning through your sets. Wishing you much luck on your sale.

@robec said:
    Sorry to see you pulling out of the registry George. I’ve enjoyed scanning through your sets. Wishing you much luck on your sale.

Thanks Bob. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt but the best pieces are out of my reach and basically locked down for the foreseeable future to younger collectors. So, it's time. I've enjoyed corresponding with you over the years about toned Lincolns and hope we can stay in touch in the future. Kind regards, George

@cohodk thank you as well! I appreciate it.

edited June 7, 2024 3:49AM

1909-S/S RPM FS-1501 MS64BN CAC Ex: Abe's Coloring Book
    PCGS Pop 4/0 in Brown, although a few higher-graded examples exist in Red and RB. This is not the far more common 1909-S/Horizontal S but rather the S/S North. The Abe's Coloring Book was formerly the #1 Toned Wheats sets at PCGS, and I purchased a lot of his nice pieces when he decided to retire his set.

A few more going to GC. I'm just waiting for a small but Registered package to return from CAC, then will be packing these up and sending them on their way.

Kind regards,

George

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations on your amazing sets and GLWA !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any of these cents you are keeping?
    Perhaps one or two with sentimental value to you.

peacockcoins

@braddick None more so than others, so I am keeping a 1955 Doubled Die. Just because I think they're so cool and spectacular as an error--and I also like the whole backstory to them.

Kind regards,

George

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin George. Thanks for sharing it.

peacockcoins

I think one thing that may help set my two complete Toned Lincoln, Wheat Reverse (1909-1958) Registry Sets in high Mint State grades apart from most of the other sets out there is that most of my coins have Trueviews ... the older ones taken by Phil before he left PCGS to join GC. This includes not only many (all?) of the Gold Shield-labeled cents, but also even some of the earlier blue-label PCGS holders that one might not automatically think about looking at the Trueview. Links for the two sets are in a first note in this thread.

Kind regards,

George

A few other coins in our two Registry Sets, now at Great Collections being readied for auction! Almost all starting at $1/bid!

1909-S VDB MS64+BN PCGS CAC

1911-D MS65BN PCGS CAC

1911-S MS65BN PCGS CAC

1912 MS66BN PCGS

1912-D MS65BN PCGS

1912-S MS64BN PCGS CAC

More key and semikey beautifully toned Lincoln cents coming to auction soon as the VDB Collection at Great Collections (I'm guessing it will be a couple of weeks before the auctions start there; yes, I know this is long foreplay but I have a lot of coins coming to auction, two nearly complete Wheat Reverse (1909–1958) Registry Sets).

1913-D MS65BN PCGS

1915-D MS65BN PCGS

1918-D MS65BN PCGS CAC Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

1922-D MS65BN PCGS CAC

1923-S MS64BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

1923-S MS64BN PCGS CAC

1924-D MS65BN PCGS CAC

1924-S MS64BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

1924-S MS64BN PCGS CAC

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grade Lincolns not my area of collecting, but " my goodness " those are some really nice Lincolns.

@Tom147 said:
    High grade Lincolns not my area of collecting, but " my goodness " those are some really nice Lincolns.

Thank you Tom, very kind of you to say so. It's never too late to Start a New Thing!

Kind regards,

George

Here are a few more for your weekend viewing pleasure!

1925 MS65BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book, Ex: Phoenix Collection (cert #24929875)

1925-D MS64BN PCGS

1925-S MS65BN PCGS

1926 MS65BN PCGS Ex: Winged Liberty

1926 MS66RB PCGS CAC

1926-D MS65BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

1926-D MS65RB PCGS CAC

1926-S MS64BN PCGS CAC

1926-S MS65BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

Kind regards,

George

More Lincoln cent toner key and semikey dates coming soon at Great Collections (hopefully next week?):

1927-D MS65+BN PCGS

1927-S MS64BN PCGS CAC

1928-D MS65BN PCGS CAC

1928-S MS64BN PCGS

1928-S MS64RB PCGS

1929-D MS64BN PCGS

1929-S MS65BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

1930-D MS65BN PCGS CAC

1930-D MS65BN PCGS Ex: Abe's Coloring Book

1931-D MS65+BN PCGS Supertough Date

1931-D MS65BN PCGS CAC Supertough Date

1931-S MS65BN PCGS Ex: Stewart Blay, WingedLiberty (Paul H)
    My only ex: Blay Lincoln

Link to current auctions in first post in this thread. Thanks y'all for looking and bidding, if you so choose!

George

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    Link to current auctions in first post in this thread. Thanks y'all for looking and bidding, if you so choose!

George

Nice, I'll be stalking a few of those.

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I have a CACG 1914-D XF45 up August 18th if anyone needs one, I need to free up some more cash to buy some of these nice toners from George!

• justindanjustindan Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins George!

So far, Great Collections has only listed about half of the Lincoln, Wheat cents that will be coming available this fall. They have listed coins (including other non-Lincoln material: toner/brilliant Buffalo nickels, toner/brilliant Morgans (a few of those), some miscellaneous type, and so on. But the bulk is the Lincolns. Many of them don't have photos yet and/or their proprietary GreatPhotos yet, either.

I had a chat with Ian Russell (GC CEO) the day before he left for ANA, and he said they were bringing some of our Lincolns to exhibit at ANA. How many or which, I don't know. But he explained that, of course, they can't finish up the photography and getting all the GreatPhotos done until they get back home. I think his goal was midweek, next week. But there are three batches of Lincolns so far listed and marketed as The VDB Collection of Lincoln Cents, and there are live links to those coins from the homepage (see the list of upcoming auctions near the bottom). They are closing on successive Sundays, Sept. 1, Sept. 8, and Sept. 15. Many of them are CAC as well, and many (I would say most) have Trueviews. (If you see a coin you're interested in with no photo or no GreatPhoto, look at the PCGS cert # at the bottom of each coin page and then go to www.pcgs/com/cert and enter the cert # to see if it has a Trueview available.)

But even after that, there will still be other weeks of more high-quality, mostly toned Lincolns on offer. They just haven't had time to get to those yet, and obviously need to finish up the earlier auctions first. Thanks for everybody here who has expressed interest and support. Kind regards, George / VDBCoins.com

Most (not all) of the coins (cents and others in our consignment) closing on Sept. 1 are now showing GreatPhotos as well. #vdbcoins #greatcollections #toner #tonedlincolns #tonedmorgans #cac #pcgscoin #tonedbuffalos

Revised link to three weeks of auctions in first post. Thanks, George

Bump to note that we have also consigned in the same auctions ending Sept. 1, 8, and 15 many other coins such as a 1937-D Three Legged Buffalo XF45 CACG; 1921-S Walker Fine 12 CACG; several toner, PL, and DMPL Morgans and a lovely, brilliant 1900-O/CC MS64 PCGS (OGH) CAC; many others. These are not identified as the VDB Collection in the auctions. Kind regards, George

1914-S Lincoln Cent MS65BN PCGS in Our Great Collections Auction Ending Sept. 1. One of the Toughest S-Mints From the Teens in Gem Condition , the Pops Overinflated by Crackouts and Resubmissions. PCGS Pop 18/2, PCGS (Low) Price Guide $2,000. Comps LM 12/18 (Ancient History) $2,510, GC (This Coin) (1/2023) $3,095. Just Try To find One!

"Plus" coins in our VDB Collection consignment at Great Collections:
    1927-D MS65+BN PCGS, PCGS Pop 2/2

1931-D MS65+BN PCGS, Grade for Grade and Color for Color Much More Elusive Than the Famous 1931-S, PCGS Pop 1/1

Carl Unger and 'Abe's Coloring Book'

Carl J. Unger (1942–2020) grew up on the streets of Chicago collecting baseball cards and later, Gem Morgan dollars and type coins. He says in the introduction to his "Abe's Coloring Book" Toned Lincoln, Wheat Cents PCGS Registry Set (which he retired in the #1 All-Time Finest position in 2019), that "I always had a sweet spot for Lincolns, especially the ones with color." Carl was an old-school gentleman whose principles I try to emulate. His word was as good as gold. We traded many coins—mostly me buying from him—and trusted each other completely. We both knew our word was as good as our checks and our coins, and never had a problem.

When Carl retired his set, I was already seriously into assembling my own Toned Lincolns Wheat Cent Registry Sets, and I bought hand over fist as many of his pieces as I could. We will soon retire our two sets, ranked #4 and #8 All-Time Finest. Those sets still include many of Carl's gorgeously toned Lincoln cents. We thought we would feature them here, in memory of a true numismatist, family man, and a fine gentleman.

These cents formerly in Carl's "Abe's Coloring Book" set are currently in the VDB Collection consignments at Great Collections auctions ending Sept. 1st, 8th, and 15th. (Or else they are in GC auctions following soon after.) While we have sold a few of his finest coins privately, it is noteworthy that now, even five years later, many of his coins have never been surpassed in quality or beauty.

1909 VDB MS66BN Pop 40/3; 1912-S MS64BN Pop 116/16; 1918-D MS65BN Pop 26/1; 1919 MS65BN Pop 12/1; 1919-S MS65BN Pop 23/1; 1920 MS65BN Pop 20/1; 1924-S MS64BN Pop 76/10; 1925 MS65BN Pop 12/2; 1926-D MS65BN Pop 14/0; 1926-S MS65BN Pop 14/0; 1928 MS65BN Pop 15/1; 1929-S Pop 16/1; 1930-D MS65BN Pop 23/1; 1932 MS65BN Pop 11/1; 1935-D MS66BN Pop 3/0; 1944-S MS64BN Pop 8/7; 1946-S MS65BN Pop 9/2; 1955-S MS66BN Pop 7/0; 1956-D MS66BN Pop 27/4; 1958 MS65BN Pop 36/4.

We hope many of these fine coins from Carl and myself end up in other wonderful top-flight collections!

Final bump for our first auction, closing tonight at Great Collections. In addition to all the Lincolns I've been posting here, there are nice toned/brilliant Morgans including a 1900-O/CC Morgan brilliant MS64 PGH CAC, 1884-CC MS64+DMPL, toner MS65 1884-O, key dates such as 1916-D Mercury dime G4 PCGS, 1937-D Three-Legger XF45 CACG, many others. Auctions start around 7 pm ET/4pm PT.

Big THANK YOU to everyone who bid in Part 1 of our auctions at Great Collections! Parts 2 and 3 ending Sept. 8 and 15 are already posted, and more should follow soon! Congratulations to the winning bidders, and you should be able to add everything to your sets now as I have retired my sets! Kind regards, George / VDB Coins