Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Peak Rarities - Making a Commitment to Diversity

PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2024 12:32AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Here at Peak Rarities, we're making a commitment to usher diversity into the numismatic marketplace. That's why we've recently begun assembling a more "inclusive" inventory, in an effort to expand our reach. From early federal silver to pioneer gold, XF bust halves to superb gem 20th-century proofs. We know quality when we see it, and a more diverse inventory will allow us to connect with a broader range of collectors.

We make every attempt not to compromise our standards for quality, but occasionally we will stock coins that may not be premium for the grade(To be clear, I am certainly not talking about the pictures in this thread ). Sometimes, we're assisting a client with the liquidation of their collection, or we may have acquired a large deal where the terms were "all or nothing". We try to be as transparent as possible, and when we are offering a coin that may be graded loosely, or have a minor issue that prevented a CAC sticker, we will note that in the description.

With that said, when we feel that one of our offerings isn't "all there", we ensure that the list price is commensurate with the level of quality. We always listen to our clients and strive to understand their preferences and goals to the best of our ability. If we feel that a coin we're offering isn't a good fit for someone's collection, we will gladly steer them away from it. Ultimately, one of the most important factors a collector needs to consider is value. It's ok to buy a "B" coin, or even a "C" coin, as long as you're not paying "A" money. Conversely, it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to build an "A+" collection on a "C+" budget.

Our new inventory was uploaded to the website last week, and quite a few coins are spoken for or already off to new homes. We'd love the opportunity to earn your business and your trust, check out our offerings and send us a message if any of our coins are speaking to you. Even if one of them is only whispering in your ear, we may have some room on the price that will make it sing.

P.S. - It is crucial that you subscribe to our mailing list, which is how we notify you about new inventory, featured offerings, or blog posts, and market reports. If you're sensitive about giving out your information, feel free to use an alias (as long as the email address is valid 😅).

Some new purchases that are still available on our website -

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

1838-D is now sold!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2024 1:55PM

• DrewUDrewU Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

Congrats on selling the 38-D; great coin! Looks more like an XF-49 to me.

@DrewU said:
    Congrats on selling the 38-D; great coin! Looks more like an XF-49 to me.

Thanks! I agree, and my grade for the coin is 50, shot 53. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it in either of those holders in the future.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Woohoo #1: Peak Rarities Diversity!
    Woohoo #2: I'm herreeeeeeee :)

• DscoinDscoin Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

@rarity7 said:
    Woohoo #1: Peak Rarities Diversity!
    Woohoo #2: I'm herreeeeeeee :)

Welcome Noah!
    Dave

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love that 38D!👍

• Nederveit2Nederveit2 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

What I take (minor) issue with is the use of the word diversity. When I opened it I expected to see something relating to human diversification, like trying to expand the hobby to other groups of people that aren't well represented in the coin community. Although you are properly using the word, as diversity also means variety, I think you'd be better served saying something more like "expanding the product line" or "product line extension".

Most often I think you'll see that diversity is the result of diversification, a social process in which people with diverse characteristics are brought together. Or perhaps diversification of a portfolio. JMO.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Using the words "diversity" and "inclusive" in a satirical way is not at all what I was expecting. I am disappointed. Very surprised at the word choices, as the OP is a great communicator. The OP is a great guy and has a well deserved great reputation - which is why I feel the way I do about the satire of this post. :(

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Particularly since more collector diversity would lead to a larger collector base and stronger market. Unfortunately the hobby is mostly male, mostly white and skews older (though there has been some modest improvement lately). Bringing in more women, people of color and younger people would be a huge positive. More collectors would mean stronger prices, more dealers to do business with, more auction activity and more people to enjoy the hobby with.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps there is a better word than diversity? Would “variety”make more sense?

Of course I have not had my morning coffee yet!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2024 3:19AM

How about

“take a peek at Peak Rarities latest offerings?”

Maybe I am not as good as Seinfeld?

Larry David was once my senior camp counselor at Camp Tioga!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    edited August 31, 2024 10:28AM

By the way,1939 Merc is now SOLD.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    By the way,1839 Merc is now SOLD.

That 1839 Merc must be a RARE error. I recognize you meant 1939 Merc, lol. Gorgeous coin!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

@winesteven said:

@PeakRarities said:
    By the way,1839 Merc is now SOLD.

That 1839 Merc must be a RARE error. I recognize you meant 1939 Merc, lol. Gorgeous coin!

Corrected, It's like muscle memory to type 18 as the first two digits hah. Regradless, it is a gorgeous coin!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@oreville said:

Perhaps there is, and perhaps there isn't. It makes plenty of sense, as it stands, and needs no clarification.

I'm reading here out of my 1828 original copy of "An American Dictionary of the English Language", by Noah Webster. Both "Diversity" and "Inclusion" are clearly defined.

Just because certain words of the English Language have been hijacked by certain social movements, does not mean that the word's alternate contextual meanings are no more. If this post offends you, you should consider the fact that these words have been around long before either you or I were born.

It was a slight play on words to generate clicks, but the meaning of it was abundantly clear. Ask yourself if the word choice made it more or less likely for you to click the thread, especially considering that the comments keep it at the top of the page.

I doubt that you knew how handy this would be when you bought it. :D

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the kind of diversity I can get behind. Might be a chance for us poors! 🤣😉

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well said Dan.

• MartinMartin Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan glad
    You stood your ground.

Martin

@Project Numismatics said:

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Using the words "diversity" and "inclusive" in a satirical way is not at all what I was expecting. I am disappointed. Very surprised at the word choices, as the OP is a great communicator. The OP is a great guy and has a well deserved great reputation - which is why I feel the way I do about the satire of this post. :(

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Particularly since more collector diversity would lead to a larger collector base and stronger market. Unfortunately the hobby is mostly male, mostly white, and skews older (though there has been some modest improvement lately). Bringing in more women, people of color and younger people would be a huge positive. More collectors would mean stronger prices, more dealers to do business with, more auction activity and more people to enjoy the hobby with.

And for the record, I agree with this. It's just that it's out of my control who takes an interest and who doesn't, but I give every customer the same level of service and treat them with an equal amount of respect. I do try and make an influence whenever possible, recently I gave my remodeling contractor and his brother both a set of RP Morgan/Peace sets from the mint. They seemed quite intrigued, but they said where they are from (Costa Rica), coin collecting was not part of their culture growing up.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

I think "diversify" is the word you're looking for.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 5:41AM

@PeakRarities said:

@oreville said:

Perhaps there is, and perhaps there isn't. It makes plenty of sense, as it stands, and needs no clarification.

I'm reading here out of my 1828 original copy of "An American Dictionary of the English Language", by Noah Webster. Both "Diversity" and "Inclusion" are clearly defined.

Just because certain words of the English Language have been hijacked by certain social movements, does not mean that the word's alternate contextual meanings are no more. If this post offends you, you should consider the fact that these words have been around long before either you or I were born.

It was a slight play on words to generate clicks, but the meaning of it was abundantly clear. Ask yourself if the word choice made it more or less likely for you to click the thread, especially considering that the comments keep it at the top of the page.

And yet so often here we criticize thread titles designed as clickbait around here - but I guess this gets a pass.

I’m not “offended” in the way you are likely imagining in the current culture wars but I do think a clickbait title playing on a controversial topic (that happens to actually a problem in numismatics) is in poor taste.

Don’t believe it’s a problem? Look at all the jokes about women that get a pass on this forum. How welcoming is that and how many women want to join that sort of community?

Words having alternative meanings in Websters does not change the current definition in common use. I’m sure many words that are highly offensive today including some of the most extreme insults had different meanings 200 years ago or were not defined at all.

At the end of the day, I think there is tremendous respect for you in this hobby and so a few of us were a bit surprised.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkStar said:
    I think "diversify" is the word you're looking for.

Actually, I believe he isn’t. And I’m ok with that for the reasons I explained in one of my replies above!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • justindanjustindan Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins Dan.
    Welcome Noah!