Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA-10 in Heritage Auction...Card is pulled due to Fraudulent PSA Holder!

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I had been tracking...I received an e-mail yesterday (7/25) from Heritage Auctions informing me that the lot had been pulled. It had been doing well in bidding. Any information on why this card (serial number 2xxxxxxx) had been pulled? Determined to be fake, trimmed, altered in some other way?

mint_only_pls

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any pics of it. I couldnt find the canceled listing.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2024 12:16PM

Once down…lot can not be viewed. It is even gone on my tracking list. I might call Heritage on Monday to inquire about the withdrawal….and provide an update.

mint_only_pls
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stolen from Dallas?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
    edited July 31, 2024 12:36PM

Delete

mint_only_pls
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2024 2:45PM

Thanks for the pic

edited July 31, 2024 1:17PM

I finally spoke to Heritage Auctions today about the card in question. I was told PSA had contacted Heritage Auctions that the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan #57 was encapsulated in a fake holder and to pull the card!

I received the Heritage Auction catalogue today...and therefore; was able to see the card's certification number (not the certification number I originally thought, my bad). I perused the auction sales of PSA-10 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan #57 and found the slab/card in question. So...the card appears to be legit and very nice according to Heritage Auctions but the grade is not legit. The holder and card in question was last sold in 2018 for $18,000 in a PWCC Auction. Here is the slab in question. Heritage said the person or persons had done a great job faking the holder. If you now enter this certification number on the CU site...it comes back counterfeit.

mint_only_pls
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, the cert number was accurate but they'd switched out the card or something else? I'm a little confused by what happened.

edited July 31, 2024 1:13PM

I was told by Heritage it could be that the person or persons might have received a PSA-9 on the card...then was able to somehow break out and sonically seal the card using a PSA-10 label. This is what I was told by Heritage Auctions...very concerning to say the least. Where there is money and good money...there will be crime, on occasion.

mint_only_pls

@mintonlypls said:
    I was told by Heritage it could be that the person or persons might have received a PSA-9 on the card...then was able to somehow break out and sonically seal the card using a PSA-10 label. This is what I was told by Heritage Auctions...very concerning to say the least. Where there is money and good money...there will be crime, on occasion.

So, does that mean there are 2 out there with the same cert number? The seller created a fake label was trying to pass this off as someone else's?

edited July 31, 2024 2:49PM

When inputting this certification number…it comes back counterfeit. The certification number might not have been used before. Maybe that is how PSA flagged it as counterfeit after someone noticed the number was not valid.

mint_only_pls

@mintonlypls said:
    When inputting this certification number…it comes back counterfeit. The certification number might not have been used before. Maybe that is how PSA flagged it as counterfeit after someone noticed the number was not valid.

That makes sense, but also seems like a pretty dumb hustle that's easy to detect.

You'd think an auction house would at least check the number before putting it up for everyone. That's kind of crazy they didn't.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Work hard and you will succeed!!