Home Sports Talk
Options

To put the infancy of baseball & the US into perspective; in 1908 Honus Wagner was 34 years old...

1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wagner had already won six batting titles....and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were still at large and on the run.

Comments

• Options

Geronimo was still alive.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭

Coca-Cola contained... Cocaine.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

my goodness that is strange to think about

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

also, there would have barely been any planes in the sky. that has only happened one time in my lifetime

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Wagner had already won six batting titles....and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were still at large and on the run.

Yea, Butch and Sundance met an untimely death when the feds ambushed them, and shot hundreds of bullets into their car.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

1908 Henry Ford introduced the Model T and a big red ball dropped in Times Square for the first time

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

if anyone here religiously watched The Jeffersons like i did, then this is probably pretty trippy

George's mom on that show, Mother Jefferson, was born 3 years before Babe Ruth

she was 16 years old in 1908

• Options

Roosevelt was finishing up his second term and decided to uphold his pledge to not run for President again in 1908. Taft ended up easily winning the election to succeed him. Taft was a big boy and there's a rumor he once got stuck in a bath tub in the White House. That one doesn't seem to be true, but he was the only president to also serve in the Supreme Court and the architect of the 16th Amendment -- pretty sure we can do without this one.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1908 my maternal grandfather was 38 years old.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1908 the T-Rex had been extinct for 65 million years.
    In 2024 the T-Rex has now been extinct for an astonishing 65.0001 million years!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1908, the government released their findings that Abraham Lincoln was shot by a second gunman from a grassy knoll.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    In 1908, the government released their findings that Abraham Lincoln was shot by a second gunman from a grassy knoll.

It was Patton Oswald.

• Options

Much against the reports. I was not in high school in 1908. I’m old but I was in fact in my first year of college

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Much against the reports. I was not in high school in 1908. I’m old but I was in fact in my first year of college

I hear you hung around with W.C. Fields.

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

He was a year behind me in high school

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Here’s something that’s true. My father would have been 100 years old this year

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

He was a year behind me in high school

Once in a blue moon when I'm in the mood, I'll play on Youtube one of those old comedy skits, Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, etc. It's amazing how timeless they are, still very funny.

Perhaps it was a few years ago, I watched that restaurant skit with W.C. Still very funny.

Jerry Seinfeld has stated that Abbott & Costello were the inspiration for his hit comedy series. If ya watch the old A&C skits, and you've seen a number of the Seinfeld shows, adjusting for time and characters, you can notice the A&C influence on some of the Seinfeld plots.

• Options

Harrison Tyler is still living at the age of 95.

His grandfather was John Tyler who was born in 1790 and was the 10th president of the United States.

• Options

His Accidency