Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just got Probstein-ed

I just purchased what was advertised as a complete non-sports card set (1954 Topps World on Wheels). Upon receiving the set, card #1 is missing (strangely, it's included in the first picture of the auction). I tried a few times to contact them so they can make it right but got the radio silence treatment. I got the 'set' for a really good hammer price but replacing that #1 card would probably run me 1/4 of what I spent for the other 159 cards - not worth it.
I know Probstein does not have a stellar reputation but I was surprised to see 175 negative feedbacks in the past month! Well, soon to be 176 once I wait eBay's allotted 7 day cooling period.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had a bad experience with this piece of $hit in the past as well. He lost some cards I sent him, when I complained, he told me "too bad".

He sucks BIG TIME.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

They are such a big revenue stream for eBay that they have their own dedicated support. They don’t follow eBay policies yet eBay does nothing because they like that sweet sweet coin.

I know they have a lot of people working for them doing the listings and those people are probably not paid much and are likely pretty low brow. Bad excuse regardless.

For a seller which does get consignments that are too good to pass up sometimes it’s tough. But what can ya do.

That’s a bummer on your set missing the card and something I hear happens a lot with probstein.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I have had a bad experience with this piece of $hit in the past as well. He lost some cards I sent him, when I complained, he told me "too bad".

He sucks BIG TIME.

That is really messed up - sorry to hear it.

Daniel
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I just purchased what was advertised as a complete non-sports card set (1954 Topps World on Wheels). Upon receiving the set, card #1 is missing (strangely, it's included in the first picture of the auction). I tried a few times to contact them so they can make it right but got the radio silence treatment. I got the 'set' for a really good hammer price but replacing that #1 card would probably run me 1/4 of what I spent for the other 159 cards - not worth it.
    I know Probstein does not have a stellar reputation but I was surprised to see 175 negative feedbacks in the past month! Well, soon to be 176 once I wait eBay's allotted 7 day cooling period.

That's messed up, I would be so mad. They need to make it right.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2024 8:25PM

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

That's pathetic. Why would anyone send anything to him with that kind of treatment? Disgraceful.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭

Things went to h*ll in a hand basket when Wes Spece consignment director was let go.

Seriously though, that is total garbage customer service. I'm sorry this happened to you.

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

That's pathetic. Why would anyone sent anything to him with that kind of treatment. Disgraceful.

>
    >
    >
    The puke actually lost items of mine on two occasions.

Being an ex shipping/receiving person, I included packing slips with my consignments.
    The first time they located the missing cards and they sold.
    The second time, the items (set of 10 Minnesota Twins matchbooks) were not found, when I asked for some consideration (I figured $100.00), he told me he was getting his lawyer involved. When I complained further, he got rude, saying I should be grateful to HIM for listing my "two-bit cards".
    Screw that guy!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    he told me he was getting his lawyer involved. When I complained further, he got rude, saying I should be grateful to HIM for listing my "two-bit cards".

Screw that guy!

I had a similar experience with the same type of response many years ago. I advised him that he needed to ship back to me every item of mine he hadn’t already listed or he’d hear from my lawyer. I’m honestly surprised he’s still in business.

In fact, he has a card listed right now that I want but I won’t buy it. Just about any other seller and I would own it by now.

• Options

@gumbyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    he told me he was getting his lawyer involved. When I complained further, he got rude, saying I should be grateful to HIM for listing my "two-bit cards".

Screw that guy!

I had a similar experience with the same type of response many years ago. I advised him that he needed to ship back to me every item of mine he hadn’t already listed or he’d hear from my lawyer. I’m honestly surprised he’s still in business.

In fact, he has a card listed right now that I want but I won’t buy it. Just about any other seller and I would own it by now.

He's scum.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

That's pathetic. Why would anyone sent anything to him with that kind of treatment. Disgraceful.

>
    >
    >

Being an ex shipping/receiving person, I included packing slips with my consignments.
    The second time, the items (set of 10 Minnesota Twins matchbooks) were not found, when I asked for some consideration (I figured $100.00), he told me he was getting his lawyer involved. When I complained further, he got rude, saying I should be grateful to HIM for listing my "two-bit cards".
    Screw that guy!

Wow Joe, I honestly can’t believe he replied to you in that manner. That’s incredibly inept.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

@gumbyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Screw that guy!

He's scum.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2024 7:16PM

@Ahmanfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He sucks BIG TIME.

>
    >
    >

Screw that guy!

Wow Joe, I honestly can’t believe he replied to you in that manner. That’s incredibly inept.

He also sent in a couple of submissions for me to PSA before I became a member.
    He sent me someone else's PSA 5 Ted Williams rookie, I returned it to him. One of the few times I almost regret doing the right thing.

He's boil pus.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭

If it were HIS Williams, I’d say screw him. But being another collectors, can’t do that in good conscience!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

I heard him on a podcast a couple of months ago. He's a stuck up pile of shlt. He could care less about his customers and he made it clear with some of the stories he told.

Brian

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I’ve been to his storefront in NJ. He’s got 3-4 kids listing in a room and all the stuff is piled on tables. It’s not a very big place. I was there to pick up a case I bought. He’s not a very personable guy for sure. Went to shake his hand and got the dead fish handshake.

• Options

@Ahmanfan said:
    If it were HIS Williams, I’d say screw him. But being another collectors, can’t do that in good conscience!

Agreed.

He's regurgitated phlegm.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t buy anything from him, no matter how badly I “need” the card.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭

For the old-timers that are still here, didn't Probstein start on this board and he was on this board as he was starting his ebay consignment business?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2024 7:36AM

@dontippet said:
    For the old-timers that are still here, didn't Probstein start on this board and he was on this board as he was starting his ebay consignment business?

I think his username on here is the same as his eBay username (Probstein123).

Wow, he has 1500 negatives in the past year! I don't care how many positives you have. To mess up 1500 times in 1 year is unacceptable.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

@dontippet said:

I think his username on here is the same as his eBay username (Probstein123).

Wow, he has 1500 negatives in the past year! I don't care how many positives you have. To mess up 1500 times in 1 year is unacceptable.

That also means he's doing so much business that he doesn't care how poorly he's treating his customers.

That is a formula to ruin your business for sure. There's no way you keep alienating your customers like that before you run out of customers to alienate.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2024 8:32AM

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Well I was able to leave my negative today. Add me to the list of never again purchasers:

@BaltimoreYankee Daniel, sorry you got short changed by Probstein and glad you were able to leave a negative. That negative will help future potential buyers vet Probstein and hopefully stay away from him.

That is one of the purposes of feedback: to let other buyers know if the seller is trustworthy or not. Hopefully new prospective buyers will take a quick look at his negative feedback and never do business with him.

Adam
  • Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I think he prefers a circus atmosphere and sometimes the jugglers and clowns just lose it.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hit him with a chargeback.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes he used to be on here and one of the funniest threads ever was when he announced he was adding Wes Spence (may have last name wrong) to his team. I had never had a bad experience buying from him but the horror stories are too many to ignore.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Yes he used to be on here and one of the funniest threads ever was when he announced he was adding Wes Spence (may have last name wrong) to his team. I had never had a bad experience buying from him but the horror stories are too many to ignore.

found it:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/897489/welcome-aboard-wes-spece-new-consignment-director-for-probstein123/p1

Adam
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

@brad31 said:

found it:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/897489/welcome-aboard-wes-spece-new-consignment-director-for-probstein123/p1

Great stuff!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

one time i made the curious decision to conduct biz with Probe and ended up in a sanatorium

• Options

Good song.

• Options
    dtmodeldtmodel Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2024 4:00PM

Chargeback and a very long shower is the only answer...won't ever sell thru him and really have to be desperate to bid on his auctions. I mean, REALLY desperate

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gumbyfan… nice to see you posting again, I remember you from the old days.
    I believe you used to organize group bulk submissions and did a very good job of it. 👍

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

Hi Darin…Good to see you. I’ve been out of the hobby for 10+ years and just started dabbling a little again so thought I’d check in here. I appreciate the kind words about the old group subs. Imagine getting subs for <$4 or $5 per card today? The good ol’ days. Hope you’re doing well!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Upon receiving the set, card #1 is missing"

Yea of course as we all know, in a set such as this, all things being equal, the #1 card is likely the money card if in a high grade. Because that was usually the card that card collecting kids kept at the top of the stack. Thus receiving the most wear, worst rubber band indentations, etc.

Anybody out there have a Gem Mint #1 Carl Yastrzemski from the Topps 1965 embossed set? I'll give ya my right arm for it. LOL

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2024 7:29PM

As Steve posted above that card #1 (Diamond T) is a tough/key card in that set. I have been working on this set for years (psa graded 6 or higher). I still need 15 of the first 160. And only have 1 of the rare 161 through 180.

• Options

Sometimes the missing cards show up on probstein…. Of all places… weeks or months later. That’s kind of nice… right?

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    Sometimes the missing cards show up on probstein…. Of all places… weeks or months later. That’s kind of nice… right?

That would be really crappy if they did that. The thing that really perplexes me is like I said in my original post, that card was the first card I saw on their first picture, it was in an 8 pocket sleeve and then I get the set, in a binder, wrapped in bubble wrap, and then the first sleeve I look at has just 7 cards in it.

Daniel
  • Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@bgr said:

That would be really crappy if they did that. The thing that really perplexes me is like I said in my original post, that card was the first card I saw on their first picture, it was in an 8 pocket sleeve and then I get the set, in a binder, wrapped in bubble wrap, and then the first sleeve I look at has just 7 cards in it.

If you don't want to return the item, you might try contacting eBay directly. They will likely compensate you directly, or get this prioritized for Probstein.

What happened to you; this same story happens with Probstein so frequently that it's difficult to explain away as accidental. With how they 'twist' the listings to confuse and potentially take advantage of inexperienced or ignorant buyers also leads me to believe that they engage in systematically nefarious business practices.

I hope to hear an update from you that they found your card, sent it to you, and apologized for the inconvenience.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its always risky sending your items to any auction business.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard negative things about Probstein before, but after hearing specific things from members here, I will not be bidding or submitting with him

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 6:42AM

I purchased one card from Probsteen back in 2020. was the largest hassle I've ever had with anyone in my 24 years on eBay. It ended in a charge back in my favor many months later.

Dude legitimately loathes his customers to the point he should find another line of work.

Factoid: Merchants by contract are responsible for all costs associated with processing a Credit Card dispute. The smaller the merchant generally the higher their fee. In many cases the Merchant is charged more for the dispute cost than if they had simply refunded the money. From a purely fiscal standpoint this means many Merchants totally lack business acumen.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options

He's lower than whale $hit on the bottom of the ocean.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probstein screwed up the first consignment I ever sent them 10 years ago (high end modern BKB box) and never went back. I posted about it and he still had a lot of defenders on this board. Based on the current responses times have changed.

It was such a bad experience that it drove me to use PWCC since they were more honest with me. Shows you how low the honesty bar is in our hobby.

Mike
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

He hasn’t been active on the board since 2015. I was going to consign something years ago and when he told me that didn’t accept phone calls, I ran far far away.