Home Precious Metals
Options

State Quarter Silver Proof cheaper than junk silver

BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 269 ✭✭✭✭

https://monumentmetals.com/90-silver-modern-1-face-value.html

I've ordered these several times and have been sent a roll silver proof state quarters. This per $1 face value is cheaper than any junk silver I've seen both on their site and on others. Since they are proof, they haven't lost any silver from wear.

Highlights of these coins:
These coins are NOT minted 1964 or before. They are modern proof silver issues from the U.S. Mint.
Packaged in vinyl flips for purchases of $1 Face Value. Packaged in convenient tubes for purchases of $10 Face Value and bags for larger quantities.
You may receive all of one denomination of coins or a mixture.

Comments

• Options

Well, my 6th order came back different...I got 20 of these

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BearlyHere:

Wow, that’s a cool way to accumulate silver!

Higashiyama
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@BearlyHere said:

I've ordered these several times and have been sent a roll silver proof state quarters. This per $1 face value is cheaper than any junk silver I've seen both on their site and on others. Since they are proof, they haven't lost any silver from wear.

These coins are NOT minted 1964 or before. They are modern proof silver issues from the U.S. Mint.
    Packaged in vinyl flips for purchases of $1 Face Value. Packaged in convenient tubes for purchases of $10 Face Value and bags for larger quantities.

Post-1964 90% silver proof coin, minted from 1992 to present, is a pretty good deal. No loss of metal from circulation, as you pointed out. But there is one aspect of it to be a little bit wary of.

1964 and earlier coinage can be verified as to the silver content by the date and the overall authenticity of the coins.

However, all of the 1992 and newer S-mint proof dimes, quarters, and halfs exist in both the silver and copper-nickel clad versions. If a 1992 or later copper-nickel clad proof was silver-plated, there would be no visible way to tell it apart from a genuine 90% silver version. A thin plating of silver would not generally affect the proof finish at all. Testing would be required to verify the content. Fortunately, the 90% silver coins weigh 25 grams per $1 face value and the copper-nickel clad coins weigh 22.5 to 23.0 grams per $1 face value. So that is a simple method for testing (but a tedious task for a lot of coins).

No such issue with the 1982 Washington half dollars since they were only minted in 90% silver.

If I was buying from Ebay, I would be more circumspect. But I have been regularly purchasing bullion from Monument Metals since Feb. 2021. I don't think they would risk their business to save a few bucks. If you read their reviews, the only knocks against them are for lost or delayed orders. None are for poor quality or false advertisement. My only issue with them is that sometimes they combine my orders which increases the shipment over $1000, which forces me to sign for them.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BearlyHere said:

@dcarr said:

@BearlyHere said:

Post-1964 90% silver proof coin, minted from 1992 to present, is a pretty good deal. No loss of metal from circulation, as you pointed out. But there is one aspect of it to be a little bit wary of.

1964 and earlier coinage can be verified as to the silver content by the date and the overall authenticity of the coins.

However, all of the 1992 and newer S-mint proof dimes, quarters, and halfs exist in both the silver and copper-nickel clad versions. If a 1992 or later copper-nickel clad proof was silver-plated, there would be no visible way to tell it apart from a genuine 90% silver version. A thin plating of silver would not generally affect the proof finish at all. Testing would be required to verify the content. Fortunately, the 90% silver coins weigh 25 grams per $1 face value and the copper-nickel clad coins weigh 22.5 to 23.0 grams per $1 face value. So that is a simple method for testing (but a tedious task for a lot of coins).

No such issue with the 1982 Washington half dollars since they were only minted in 90% silver.

If I was buying from Ebay, I would be more circumspect. But I have been regularly purchasing bullion from Monument Metals since Feb. 2021. I don't think they would risk their business to save a few bucks. If you read their reviews, the only knocks against them are for lost or delayed orders. None are for poor quality or false advertisement. My only issue with them is that sometimes they combine my orders which increases the shipment over $1000, which forces me to sign for them.

It is unlikely, but any dealer is susceptible to buying plated silver and unknowingly re-selling it as 90% silver.

• Options
    inkdiverinkdiver Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'd buy those.

• Options

Back to proof state and atb quarters the last 2 orders

• Options
    edited July 21, 2023 7:52AM

By the way, if you didn't already know, the mint has only made 2 modern (since the 50s) half dollar commemorative coins in 90% silver. The first modern commemorative was the Washington

and Madison

All the rest are clad.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had forgotten that the 1993 Madison was silver. If it had been a quiz question, I would have failed that one.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these silver quarter sets up today at my LCS for $20.00 each.

That’s 16 X face.

Didn’t even hesitate. Snapped em right up. :)

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

If their sell price is so great their buy price makes up for it.

• Options

They are 90% proof coins being sold per $1 face value for $2 less than circulated pre 65s.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

What year did the silver coins in silver proof sets become .999? I recollect that it was a few years ago, maybe 4 or 5?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Yep, 2020

• Options
    edited May 11, 2024 5:15PM

duplicate

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

certainly won't be near slick either

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

@BearlyHere
    Thanks for the heads up. Didnt use the link but noticed you can buy a full roll of one State for $260 at ebay. Mahalo

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with modern .900 silver or .999 silver proof coinage.
    But be aware that for pre-1964 90% silver coin, all you have to check is the date.
    It is possible to take modern copper-nickel clad proofs and put a light silver plating on them to mimic the .900 or .999 silver versions.

• Options

@dcarr
    Have you seen a clad state quarter, silver plated? NO doubt I trust your knowledge. It wasn't a bullion purchase for me, just something I like. I don't think it would fool me, so its an interesting topic.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only problem is, unless the coins are in the original OGP, the uneducated won't be able to determine by look, whether a S mint marked state quarter is clad, or silver.

At least with pre 1964 silver, it is readily identifiable.

• Options

These things tend tone in the red OGP. They may have some collector premium in the future, and they are full weight. Unless as dcarr said they can mimic, using silver plating on a proof clad (which seems price prohibited), and it doesn't weigh the same.

As far as the uneducated, they must exist because they are buying fake gold bars, fake silver eagles, fake morgans etc. So that point is true and well taken. I do like to give our silver state quarter to younger people who are interested, and they always light up. It's worth the $6.50ish just to see it.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver discounted is silver , just the same.