Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's the main card you can't stop buying?

Mine currently is the 91 Bo Jackson Desert Shield in a BGS9 or PSA9 holder. Population 126 for PSA9.

The war, the player, condition, affordability for me, and the pop of the logo catches my eye. For some reason I would rather have 5 in NM condition to look at than 1 in mint condition which surprises me. Normally I just want the best I can find.

What's the card you keep picking up for your PC that you can stop buying even if your wife said stop ✋️?

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 3:49PM

86 OPC lemieux , I want all of them

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

1984 Fleer Mattingly RC

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

Cool story Dan thx for sharing

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be on a 75 Brett obsession but got through it. Finally

• Options

I picture you saying that with a stack of 75 Younts surrounding you.

@BBBrkrr said:

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

1914 Cracker Jack Cobb's

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options

I mean who doesn’t have a stack of these?

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    1914 Cracker Jack Cobb's

• Options

1985 OPC Lemieux and 1986 Roy

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Cool story Dan thx for sharing

You’re welcome.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 and 1975 nolan ryan's.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@80sOPC said:
    I picture you saying that with a stack of 75 Younts surrounding you.

@BBBrkrr said:

Ha! I wish. My Yount desire never reached an obsession but I won’t turn those down either.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 8:21AM

The ‘68 Mantle is definitely a marked card! POP=1

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    The ‘68 Mantle is definitely a marked card! POP=1

Going to see if the good ol boys club can get it to a PSA 10.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

80s baseball rookies. boggs, gwynn, clemens, mcgwire, henderson, ripken, ryno, clark, bonds, puckett...

the list goes on and on. I think it is because my brain is stuck in 1991 when those were the hot cards that i could only dream of having when i looked through the monthly beckett for the 300th time.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    80s baseball rookies. boggs, gwynn, clemens, mcgwire, henderson, ripken, ryno, clark, bonds, puckett...

the list goes on and on. I think it is because my brain is stuck in 1991 when those were the hot cards that i could only dream of having when i looked through the monthly beckett for the 300th time.

I know the feeling. My vehicle collection is predominately from the 80s and the 90s for the same reason. It's not a show car collection but I thoroughly enjoy taking a couple out each year for a car show or homecoming parade.

• Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I don’t buy dupes. If I upgrade, the lower grade one exits my collection.

I'm the exact same way. As soon as I upgrade, the lesser example has to go.

• Options

I used to have that Rickey obsession and I certainly wish I'd kept buying those about 15 years ago!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    I used to have that Rickey obsession and I certainly wish I'd kept buying those about 15 years ago!

I once bought 6 rickey rookies in PSA 9 and sent the 3 best to PSA to try to get at least 1 PSA 10. They were beauties but had no luck bumping them so I sold all 6 of them.
    Back then you could buy PSA 9’s all day long for $300
    Never dreamed they could go as high as they are now!

• Options

@Darin said:

@BBBrkrr said:

I once bought 6 rickey rookies in PSA 9 and sent the 3 best to PSA to try to get at least 1 PSA 10. They were beauties but had no luck bumping them so I sold all 6 of them.
    Back then you could buy PSA 9’s all day long for $300
    Never dreamed they could go as high as they are now!

I know. I bought about 6 when they were $300/$330, but stopped because it seemed crazy spending that for a card from 1980.

I was an idiot. Wish I'd bought 100.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 6:09PM

Ty cobb always and everyday if I can. But it’s been years now.

• Options

I probably have quite a few. Some that are mentioned here. I cant get enough 80 Hendersons or 75 Bretts. Might get as many raw Jordan Love rookies as I can until the price becomes prohibitive. This one is kind of accidental but I just never grow tired of opening the 1994 Stadium Club High Number football boxes with the throwback unis cards and Bowman's Best refractors and 1st Day Issue cards. When I first got out of college and barely had two nickels to rub together I would go to the local card shop and buy the packs for 3 or 4 dollars. Maybe every couple weeks I could justify 3 or 4 packs. So nice to buy the entire box 30 years later for $25 to $30. One person's junk wax is another person's gold. Usually 2 or 3 Faulk rookies per box. Sent 11 of them in for the $15 special.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

1983 Topps Marcus Allen. A double print to boot.

Before I sold out during COVID I was hoarding 1987 Topps rack cases for decades. Loved the prices and the set.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Know what I mean vern? Sorry I can't help myself

• Options

Oooh. Now we’re talking. I love that Carew rookie but can’t match that. I think I only have 4.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That is an amazing haul of Carew RCs!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 8:45AM

@lawyer05 said:

Sweet Carew cards. Might be one of the few on here with family from Panama - grandmother and great grandmother are from there. Also, who is the auto of in your picture - Cuban Comet.

• Options

Incredible collections.

I really just needed some pressure taken off me from the wife after buying another Desert Shield for the lowest I've paid yet!

I think you've all made wise decisions on the cards you keep after.

I bet there's more to come.

• Options

I used to try and buy any 1965 Willie McCovey I could find. I had a ton of them at one time. Finally stopped about 8 years ago.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went through this with Dave Winfield cards when he was chasing his quest for 500 HRs. Was buying 74-80 years cards. Still got them all.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 10:26AM

@KendallCat said:

@lawyer05 said:

Sweet Carew cards. Might be one of the few on here with family from Panama - grandmother and great grandmother are from there. Also, who is the auto of in your picture - Cuban Comet.

Sorry for the late response,
    Thats the Cuban Comet Minne Minoso and Pat Scantlebury also from Panama and Latin hall of Famer
    Scantlebury is the oldest baseball player to be in an opening lineup.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

Since you are obviously a Rod Carew fan (those rookies are unbelievable), I have a 1969 O-pee-chee Deckle of Rod Carew in a PSA 9. The pop is 2 with no 10's. any clue what this card's market value would be?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 167 ✭✭

Tom Brady RC, Grade 10... will skyrocket over the years to come.
    Especially the 2000 Bowman Promotion RC ( only 250 produced )

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 167 ✭✭

• Options
    carlclarktvcarlclarktv Posts: 6
    edited May 18, 2024 12:59PM

2021 Mosaic Joe Burrow (Base and AFC - around 50 and counting numbered only) 2022 Mosaic (Base and National Pride - 82 and counting numbered only)

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I have a boatload of 1990 OPC Frank Thomas. Also 86 Lemieux and 81 Gretzkys.

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

I once went on a long binge of buying and selling 1990 Leaf #300 Frank Thomas. That effort treated me quite well for a few years. I did finally get over it, only got a few raw examples now.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember Phil Gold having over 100 Randy Myers 1993 Finest Refractors? Essentially over half the population. So at the time only 100ish sets possible?