Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

not a huge collection, but dumping anything that is not a 10, and it feeeeels cleaner now.

RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

Probably a normal collector, with this and that's of a lot of different stuff. Thought it was time to clean house and only keep cards that 10'd. Currently selling all my stuff PSA 9 and below. Just don't care about boxes of graded cards simply sitting in my closet, that serve no apparent purpose anymore.

The stuff is just not that important anymore. yeah save these for retirement, yeah right. heh

Comments

• Options

anyone else simply feel their stuff just has to start going away ? It's kinda gotten boring.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:
    anyone else simply feel their stuff just has to start going away ? It's kinda gotten boring.

Yes. I recently decided to sell about 3/4 of my collection and I’ve been setting up at shows. It’s actually pretty liberating to let go of stuff.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Just curious, with just 10's how many cards will that leave you with? Also, I suspect this means it will be largely a modern-ish collection? Congrats on the freedom feeling.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy that you decided to let go. Maybe now start on a new passion.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

I've been is sell mode for about 3 years now. Just keeping only my best 10's. Although I still buy/grade/sell a bit...

• Options

Yup, going sell-happy means I can now fit my little collection of 10's in my shirt pocket.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great move! I sold roughly 1/3 of my collection a couple years ago and bought a bass boat, etc.

Phase II will be soon and hopefully I will have enough money for a large down payment on a Hellcat! >:)

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Yup, going sell-happy means I can now fit my little collection of 10's in my shirt pocket.

I know what you mean. Not sure how many I got,I but I know it's not many.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:

I know what you mean. Not sure how many I got,I but I know it's not many.

Be that as it may, I personally look forward to emptying the shirt pocket to make room for a handful of Ben Franklin Buck$. Might need 'em for future grading fees and a bottle of bubbly.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 12:48PM

@GoTigers said:
    Just curious, with just 10's how many cards will that leave you with? Also, I suspect this means it will be largely a modern-ish collection? Congrats on the freedom feeling.

nothing significant dollar wise being saved, just a bunch of mish mash 10s. Will state though i do have some PSA / CGC registry sets that are definitely not all 10's that am keeping.... for now at least.

this is a subset of the stuff being saved for now.. if it ain't a 10, it ain't here (well maybe a trout or two) .

and there is a bunch of stuff like this that is simply time for it to go.. Would basically like to start getting rid of everything. It's weird, just not that in to it anymore. for now 'll continue to maintain just a clean 10 house of mish mash !

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 1:21PM

Nest question is how are you planning to sell? I used PWCC back when it was going strong.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm slowly getting there myself. I have a couple hundred or so to grade and I've TRIED (ha) to stop buying so much lately (that's been a hard habit to kick).

I"m thinking of rolling the entire sale return into 1 or 5 very high end cards or maybe real estate. Depends on the day where I lean.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Once you start buying land you might get addicted. But if you need contacts for purchase and title in Texas, Idaho, or Montana … let me know…

Land search is like the PSA registry. Haha.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

I, too, am in the process of a significant reduction.

I liken the process described in this thread as selling the hay in the haystack and keeping the needles.

Good luck to all of us hay salesmen.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

I know things come and go but I actually have more excitement building my daughter’s Lego collection than my cards.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I think we just "rent" our cards. Until it's time to liquidate.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Great move! I sold roughly 1/3 of my collection a couple years ago and bought a bass boat, etc.

Phase II will be soon and hopefully I will have enough money for a large down payment on a Hellcat! >:)

I did the same thing! For a multitude of reasons I won't get into in the thread, decided to sell off my collection, all while keeping the top 10% for my pc. The first few higher dollar cards were hard, but seeing the money come in was nice. Enjoyed it so much, that I started buying small collections, keeping the top 10% for my pc and selling off the rest. Ended up buying a 1970 Chevelle SS. It's a lot more exhilarating driving a big block 454 around than having too many cards in boxes that you don't look at.

• Options

@swish54 said:

@Cakes said:

I did the same thing! For a multitude of reasons I won't get into in the thread, decided to sell off my collection, all while keeping the top 10% for my pc. The first few higher dollar cards were hard, but seeing the money come in was nice. Enjoyed it so much, that I started buying small collections, keeping the top 10% for my pc and selling off the rest. Ended up buying a 1970 Chevelle SS. It's a lot more exhilarating driving a big block 454 around than having too many cards in boxes that you don't look at.

Love that car, a 1969 SS is one of my dream cars. For context I have owned muscle cars: 70 - 340 - Cuda (lost my license for a year), 83 Porsche 944, multiple Mustang 5.0's, and my next one will be 2020 or newer. Unfortunately new car prices have sky rocketed the last 3 or 4 years.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite there but think about downsizing frequently. The whole grading scene lost its luster for me when PSA discontinued vouchers, the cheap 50-100 card bulk submissions and based grading fees on perceived market value of cards in their slabs. Mainly a mid-grade vintage collector that allowed the hobby to pay for itself through buying, grading and selling through the years. Now that I have the funds to buy high or higher graded cards...... I just don't really care. It's not the same journey and I must have secretly enjoyed the struggle and challenge. I feel that I will get rid of probably at least half of my graded collection within the next 5 years.

• Options

When talking Hellcat ! Yeah man THAT is more like it !👍🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠

• Options

the 'ignore' thing is great here. It turns BGR posts in to this:

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    the 'ignore' thing is great here. It turns BGR posts in to this:

My wife thinks you’re hott!

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

While not the best market for selling non 10 moderns its only going to get worse

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

that is an interesting way of thinking. right now i am getting into collecting just single players like griffey jr and george brett. the rest of my cards i have not really been looking at right now. maybe in the future i might sell off some of other cards i have.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Same with Beer

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh ohh. looks like ride the lightening got himself banned. anyone know what happened?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I didn’t flag him. I promise. I like crazy people.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    oh ohh. looks like ride the lightening got himself banned. anyone know what happened?

He posted on another thread that he had been warned. He was getting into it with someone (can't remember who) and it looks like he must have ignored the warning.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

He posted on another thread that he had been warned. He was getting into it with someone (can't remember who) and it looks like he must have ignored the warning.

When I read his post , I was thinking ,this guy wants to get banned.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2024 5:31AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

In some posts IMO he was outright taunting the Mods. My guess is dude already has another ID at the ready. However with a writing style as unique as his, it will be ez2detect in a few posts...

I've hit the centennial post mark :)

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Life is way too short to get into any sort of flaming argument on an internet message board (or app) with someone I don't know or will never meet.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    Life is way too short to get into any sort of flaming argument on an internet message board (or app) with someone I don't know or will never meet.

@Basebal21 what do you think? Is life too short? Is it not worth it?