Home Sports Talk
Options

Are you addicted to sports

4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Could you go a week without checking any scores or sports news articles?
Could you go a month without watching any games ?

Sports is not food. We don’t need it to live.
Do you have a physical or emotional addiction to sports that you have to have some kind of interaction with it on a daily basis?

Anyone here brave enough to go on a one week sports fast where you have no contact with anything sports related? Think you could do it?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could do it but I won't because I don't want to

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been addicted to sports and cards since my earliest memory, around 4 or 5 years old, whatever it was.

I've attended Card Collectors Anonymous many times. But the dam meetings always end the same way. Everyone pulls out their latest PSA acquisitions to show everybody, and the addiction gets worse than ever.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Real Question" should be;
    Are you addicted to the forum ???
    🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 4:03PM

I like listening to sports (NHL & NFL) but I can live without it as well. I did so for many years in my 20's just had other priorities. Now in my 40's I enjoy more of it. I am not rich by any means so it passes the time and I do not even have cable TV I listen to the games on my computer via live radio channels.

I rarely ever leave my home it simply costs to much and I do not eat out either or very rarely. I do not have kids and I am single so like I said it passes the time and I enjoy it. I read books, cook, spending time with my pet, play video games, go for walks, spend time with close family and a few other things like listening to sports.

Sure I could easily go 1 week without sports but what the heck for it is not something I need to prove to myself I went years without it at certain points in my life. I spend a few months each year without sports during the Summer time and early Fall.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started watching sports around 86 and started collecting cards a year later. it has been a constant for me ever since. i cant imagine not having either. i suppose i could, but we are only on this rock for a short time. why waste it not watching sports and collecting cards?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭

A month would be tough but maybe a July thing where theres not really anything happening with MLB taking a week off. Im probably in the minority but the celebrity softball game during all star weekend I do enjoy.. The home run derby I dont really mind if I miss it same for the all star game. There are a couple weeks that nothing really meaningful happens or are just the middle of the seasons id be okay with. A full year though would be a no

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

I only follow the local (Minnesota) hockey and football teams closely, and the Twins a bit less.

Once my teams season ends (almost always way too early), I don't continue to watch the playoffs.

I did watch most of the Super Bowl last year. Never bet against Mahomes and KC.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

NFL - probably yes. All others are extremely passive to me.

• Options

Addicted? Nah. My entire life has revolved around the element of sporting competition. Sports is water.

Without it, I would die.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

am i addicted to sports? no. used to be. not anymore.

am i the first two words and the first two syllables of the third word in the question posed? that's an emphatic YES

• Options

I see what you dic'd there.

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I think I could easily go a month. The sports of today seems to be too much of me or I and a lot less of TEAM. Sports has also gotten either too political or just too much distractions. That is why I get 99% of my sports from here.