Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Your favorite player's final card

Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a player collector so every card of my particular player matters to me. Rookie cards, understandably, get the most love and hold the most value, but what about the final card of a player's career? There are now a proliferation of cards made long after a player is retired, I'm talking about those cards from during the active career.

My favorite player is Roger Staubach. When he retired on March 31, 1980, I was sure that he'd have a card in the 1980 Topps set with his final stats on it. I was only 8 at the time and didn't realize that Topps typically didn't include players that announced their retirement before the new set was printed. I busted through packs looking for the last Staubach card. When I finally found the Passing Leaders card with him and Fouts I thought for sure that had to mean that Roger was in the set somewhere. As you know, I was wrong. At first, I hated the Passing Leaders card because it reminded me that Roger should have been in the set on his own. Over time the card has grown on me and it's become a favorite of mine. I've collected it as many ways as I could, would love to find the Topps Vault match print photo if its out there somewhere.

Here's my stash of 1980 Topps Passing Leaders, would love to see final cards from players you collect.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

Comments

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Very nice! I really like those progressive proof cards -- those are so cool.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cal Ripken Jr. Is my favorite player. Excellent work ethic. Retired in 2001. Probably
    100+ last cards from the card companies. Or since 2001, the BOAT LOAD of inserts
    including auto's, bat and jersey cards. Don't have any from 2001, quit collecting Cal
    in 1998 thanks to TEK.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Clemente. Always the Clemente.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 4:58PM

Not my favorite players but a couple of cool last cards of a couple of hall of famers.

• Options

@redlegs said:

Love the Gibby Hostess! Is that also Freehan's last card?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I’m a set collector, not a player collector, but I do remember several “last cards” fondly from the first few years I collected. The most memorable to me is the 1973 Willie Mays card, because even as a kid it occurred to me how past his prime Willie looked on that card.

That Mays is incredible!

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

It used to be easy to get a player's final card - it was issued the year after retirement and was the only card to have complete career stats.

I really dislike how modern sets have regular numbered cards of retired players alongside current players on the checklist.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 6:08PM

@SoxPatsFan said:
    It used to be easy to get a player's final card - it was issued the year after retirement and was the only card to have complete career stats.

I really dislike how modern sets have regular numbered cards of retired players alongside current players on the checklist.

Very few players got that treatment. It was an exceptions of exception if they did. Pre-1985 it only occurred if a player retired (or did not make a roster or passed away) after the set was printed.

For example some MLB HOF's who never got a final card with Complete career stats; Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Frank Robinson, Koufax, Bob Gibson, Johnny Bench, Yaz...and the list goes on and on

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 6:14PM

Speaking of the 1973 Mays, is that the latest player card issued of someone who appeared in the 1952 Topps set?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey Kid4hof03...
    Your All Time Favorite Player could be inside here...

:)

• Options

@RonSportscards said:
    Ron Cey's last year card was 1987, and he was with the Oakland A's his final year.
    It's too bad, but no Donruss card in '87 for the Penguin.
    Fleer had a base and Glossy, still Cubs uniform.

Topps had base, Leaders card, and Box panel card recognizing 300 HRs, all Cubs uniforms. Plus Tiffany versions.

O-Pee-Chee had Cey on the A's, but still Cubs uni.
    Then after Cey's retirement mid season, Topps Traded released Cey's only mainstream card with an A's uniform.
    None of these cards have Cey's complete career stat totals, of course.
    (If only Cey was able to stick around until 1988 to play in the World Series against his former Dodgers.)

Great Penguin collection!

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@redlegs said:

Love the Gibby Hostess! Is that also Freehan's last card?

Freehan had cards up to 1977 Topps.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@SoxPatsFan said:

Very few players got that treatment. It was an exceptions of exception if they did. Pre-1985 it only occurred if a player retired (or did not make a roster or passed away) after the set was printed.

For example some MLB HOF's who never got a final card with Complete career stats; Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Frank Robinson, Koufax, Bob Gibson, Johnny Bench, Yaz...and the list goes on and on

Bench did get a final card with his career stats but not with Topps. Fleer captured that in 1984.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Cal Ripken Jr. Is my favorite player. Excellent work ethic. Retired in 2001. Probably
    100+ last cards from the card companies. Or since 2001, the BOAT LOAD of inserts
    including auto's, bat and jersey cards. Don't have any from 2001, quit collecting Cal
    in 1998 thanks to TEK.

Me and my grandpa watched his 2131 game in 1995, which he insisted was making something out of nothing! I guess he figured just showing up to work every day wasn't that big a deal. I think he even half jokingly said they could just drag him out to the SS position and that would count!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redlegs said:

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@SoxPatsFan said:

Bench did get a final card with his career stats but not with Topps. Fleer captured that in 1984.

Same with Yastrzemski in the 84 Fleer set.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 10:00AM

Should have put Catcher on Bench since he had already retired. Remember loving that they included both he and Yaz with final stats. ‘84 Donruss had them on the Living Legends card together.

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Didn't Griffey play a few months into the 2010 season?

Matt

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think I blocked out that Griffey played for the White Sox - they get a lot of HOF players at the end of their careers - Seaver, Carlton, Santo, Thome, Roberto Alomar - am sure I am missing some.

• Options

Man, those last couple Santo cards in a ChiSox uniform were really bad. Terrible photos and he looked way over the hill.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Think I blocked out that Griffey played for the White Sox - they get a lot of HOF players at the end of their careers - Seaver, Carlton, Santo, Thome, Roberto Alomar - am sure I am missing some.

I never thought about this before but you're right, the White Sox have been a place for great players to hang on at or near the end of their careers. I'm surprised Rickey Henderson never made a stop there.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 9:01AM

Minnie Minoso as well…

Are those players still on the roster today…the White Sox are off to an awful start?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@firstbase23 said:
    Didn't Griffey play a few months into the 2010 season?

Matt

Yup, he played 33 forgettable games in 2010 until he hung it up. I don’t collect non-playing year cards and these are the best 2 with mostly full stat lines.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

You aren’t the only one who blocks that out. It was toward the end of his career, only 41 games late in 2008. It was not very memorable.

• Options

I refuse to believe that Harmon card exists!