Home Sports Talk
Options

Scottie Scheffler

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

a sick human being. on a heater the likes of which haven't been seen since Tiger when he was in his prime. i heard this today and it stopped me in my tracks: in the past 44 days, Scheffler's earnings have topped $16 million. his results through the first 4 months of the season are preposterous:

top 20 in every tournament. top 10 in all but one. damn near pulled a Nelly Korda and won 5 straight (he could have easily won the Houston Open). it is exceedingly difficult to win a single golf tournament, let alone 4 out of 5. my favorite golfer Spieth has won 2 tournaments in 7 years. Rory hasn't won a major in a decade. Scheffler's got that dawg in him.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Galaxy… it’s pretty cool that probably the two biggest stories in the sports world right now are golfers, Scottie and Nelly! Until Thursday I guess when the nfl draft starts. 🤔
    I suppose this would be too much to ask for, but I would love to see Scottie take down the grand slam!
    Thanks for the thread!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

BEAST is the correct definition of Mr Scheffler

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golf is a game that will chew you up and spit you out mentally and emotionally, it's one of the most difficult games be good at, it's good to see golf making the headlines. 👍

• Options

upon winning the Masters on that Sunday he immediately flew back to Texas to be with his wife, who is 9 months pregnant. when he got there she told him to go out that night and have fun. so he did. he went to a popular dive bar in Dallas wearing his green jacket, had a few pops, and took pictures with fortuitous souls who happened to be there

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

Golf is the only sport where it has to be absolutely quiet and no one or opponent can disrupt you while you attempt your skill shot.
    Tennis is right behind it.
    Masters viewership was down 20% this year.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27

Did you ever post all your pictures from the golf game you want to?

Did I miss the thread?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Golf is a game that will chew you up and spit you out mentally and emotionally, it's one of the most difficult games be good at, it's good to see golf making the headlines. 👍

I've never played much golf, perhaps about 100 rounds, which really isn't that much. Had a nice set of clubs and all that jazz. Parents even belonged to a golf club which was a stop on the LPGA tour. So I had ample access to play.

Enjoyed the game for the most part, but as you alluded to the toughness of it. Even though as mentioned I didn't play many rounds, I did spend a lot of time at the range, and also practicing the short game, etc.

What was frustrating to me is that after around a year or so of playing on a regular basis, I hit a wall whereby no matter how much I practiced, I couldn't get better at it. I guess my body was made for par and bogey type golf, and that's about it. LOL

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @galaxy27

Did you ever post all your pictures from the golf game you want to?

Did I miss the thread?

He did post some pics of Tiger Woods and the surrounding course. but I think that was right before the tourney began.

They may not allow pics to be taken during regular play, but I'm not at all certain about that. Like it was mentioned, "absolutely quiet", and that's the way to do it.

• Options

Heckuva run by Scheffler. I don't know anything about him as I no longer follow golf. But a player such as this and of course Nelly, has to be good for the game. 😊

• Options

@perkdog it was a subdued recap by my standards (lol), but i did post one

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102690/caught-a-tiger-by-the-tail#latest

@stevek you just laid out why so many retired athletes turn to golf -- it's an unconquerable challenge that whets their competitive appetites long after their playing days are over. it is a total mindf of a sport. just when you think you've got it figured out, a chink arises in your swing and the next thing you know, the ball isn't going where it once was. that is, unless your name is Scottie Scheffler or Nelly Korda..............then, amazingly, you're impervious.

that's cool about your parents. what course was that?

• Options

i've shown this picture before, but a couple of years ago i corralled Scheffler and he graciously signed my Masters champs flag that i've been working on for years. he was good then but now he's a rock star, so i'm glad i knocked him out when i did

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102690/caught-a-tiger-by-the-tail#latest

@stevek you just laid out why so many retired athletes turn to golf -- it's an unconquerable challenge that whets their competitive appetites long after their playing days are over. it is a total mindf of a sport. just when you think you've got it figured out, a chink arises in your swing and the next thing you know, the ball isn't going where it once was. that is, unless your name is Scottie Scheffler or Nelly Korda..............then, amazingly, you're impervious.

White Manor, Malvern PA

Pasted:

The McDonald's Championship was a women's professional golf tournament on the LPGA Tour from 1981 through 1993.[2][3] The first six years were hosted by White Manor Country Club in Malvern, Pennsylvania,[4][5][6] northwest of Philadelphia. In 1987, it moved a short distance south to DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Delaware.[1][7]

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

White Manor, Malvern PA

Pasted:

The McDonald's Championship was a women's professional golf tournament on the LPGA Tour from 1981 through 1993.[2][3] The first six years were hosted by White Manor Country Club in Malvern, Pennsylvania,[4][5][6] northwest of Philadelphia. In 1987, it moved a short distance south to DuPont Country Club in Wilmington, Delaware.[1][7]

BTW - I forget the details, and didn't really know many details anyway, but it was actually White Manor that chose to discontinue the tourney on their course. Main reason is they didn't like the way their course got all torn up, divots, etc, during the tourney. I'm guessing some of their members complained about it, and thus the decision was made. That's the story I was told anyway.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    upon winning the Masters on that Sunday he immediately flew back to Texas to be with his wife, who is 9 months pregnant. when he got there she told him to go out that night and have fun. so he did. he went to a popular dive bar in Dallas wearing his green jacket, had a few pops, and took pictures with fortuitous souls who happened to be there

He's a man of the people. Don't think Tiger ever did this.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@stevek said:
    Heckuva run by Scheffler. I don't know anything about him as I no longer follow golf. But a player such as this and of course Nelly, has to be good for the game. 😊

I heard during the broadcast he is of the Christian faith.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

He is must see TV when he plays. I wish continued success for him and most of all a healthy child upon delivery.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:

I heard during the broadcast he is of the Christian faith.

No wonder, in my opinion, he doesn't receive accolades in most media. If he was "woke" doing all this winning, he'd be on the front page everywhere.