Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

productive day at a local show..

picked up a decent haul..

2 - 1986 topps sets, 1 - sealed 1994 topps set, 1 - 1983 donruss factory and , 1 - 1984 donruss factory

all for $240., the 1986 topps looked untouched since 1986.

i don't open much. but i picked up 2 2024 heritage hobby boxes, 2 1992 leaf boxes (i like the black inserts) and 1991 leaf box for $210.

picked up decent looking 1971 ryan and mean joe too, both look like 6's, the ryan may be a 6.5, nearly perfect centering. both for $150, from a dealer buddy i always buy from.

lots of dealers, the most ive seen in awhile. lots of traffic too.

another show near me next week, prolly going to that one too.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey, sounds like you did great!! I love show reports. it is fun making in person purchases. there is a 90+ table show up where I live in central Maine that i usually attend. most of the dealers are really good about negotiating better prices.

out of curiosity, what part of the country is the show you attended?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

SWVA

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭

Lived in Bluefield & worked in Wytheville for a few years. Not many bigger towns in SWVA....Roanoke maybe. I still miss the Hillsville experience.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck when you open the boxes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Good luck when you open the boxes.

i buy them to open then i set on them usually. i did open some 1994 topps the other day and got nothing gradeable. but thanks, look forward to seeing what i got.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 9:00AM

Did you see any re-packers buying singles? I've seen in YT vids that some collectors are not happy about the re-packers buying up thes singles at shows.

I've seen re-packers at the SoCal and TX shows I've attended. I was watching a 100+ card deal go down and the re-packer actually preferred raw or third-rate slabs. He was planning to crack them out anyways and he liked buying the slabs since the cards are labelled and at least the cards were reviewed for any obvious issues.

Mike
  • Options

im not sure what a repacker is? so i guess i didn't see any.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    im not sure what a repacker is? so i guess i didn't see any.

They buy singles to re-pack into products for breakers. I think this is like the Hit Parade on D&A. I usually see them at the larger shows (100+ tables). They will got to table to try to negotiate a deal for a whole display case or large stack. At first I thought it was only for high end cards but the deals I watched covered the whole range from value box to big hits. They typically only buy ultra modern so if you don't play in that market, you may not notice them.

Mike
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:
    I'm at the hofstra show today

One guy had some unopened.

Oooh. Wow.

Time to do some ripping.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:

rice and taylor packs are really great.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 12:25PM

lawrence taylor was signing and meet/greet at the show too.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun day! Good luck finding some gradeable cards!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@coinspacks said:

If I saw an unopened assortment like that at a card show in California I would be in heaven! Most shows over here the only unopened is Pokémon or late 80s early 90s boxes. Hope you picked up something good.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like one of those 84 grocery rack packs has a Dan Marino sneaking out on top too.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proves one does not need a big show to make a few scores. Nice to see was worth your while.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".