Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Vintage Canada Box of Twenty

I've made my US type set via the Dansco 7070 album. That was a fun project, and now I want to do something for Canada. A lot of the standard Canadian types can be sort of too similar - there's a lot wreath types from Victoria to George V to keep my interest I feel. So I think keeping things restricted to a nice Box of Twenty would be a nice, broad showcase of types.

I've curated a prospective list of coins. Looking at it now perhaps I've avoided the wreath types too much. Perhaps I can do some subtractions. For instance I could remove the '39 medal and add, say, a 1908 50c piece. Maybe I could nix the Newfoundland $2 gold as well. Any thoughts on the list?

Bank of Upper Canada Penny Token
Nova Scotia Penny Token (floral) 
Habitant Sous Token
PEI Large Cent
1949 Silver Dollar
$10 or $5 George V Gold
Province of Canada Large Cent (or New Brunswick Large cent)
Newfoundland $2
Vicky 10c
Tombac V
Newfoundland 20c (Edward)
Caribou 25c
1956 50c. 
Voyageur Dollar Silver Jubilee
PL 10c (1953)
1c 1937 SP
5c 1937 or 1948
High Grade Silver ’39 Royal Visit Medal 
Newfoundland Pitcher Plant 1c
BC Totem Pole Dollar

I have a few types already. But I want to take my time with the set. Finding examples I really like.

Tombac V - ICCS MS65, although I cut it out for the photo and plan on subbing it to PCGS since I want these all in PCGS plastic. Nice lack of tarnish on this one, but I might be open to a toned example.

1958 Totem Pole dollar. I wanted something vintage that recognizes indigenous peoples. This is just a PCGS MS63, but it has some very attractive toning.

My recent purchase. 1913 $10 gold, PCGS MS64. Holding on to this one.

A nicely toned Voyageur Dollar, the 1935 Silver Jubilee. PCGS MS65. Might want to upgrade to an example with a nicer reverse.

Another toner, a 1949 dollar commemorating Newfoundland to Confederation. 1949 is my mother's birth year so I wanted its inclusion. I want to get some 53 dated coins as that's my dad's birth year. Interestingly, according to Ancestry DNA, I have some roots in Newfoundland that I never knew I had (my mom was adopted so there's some mystery there).

I have a Bank of Upper Canada Penny token, ICCS AU50. But I do want to upgrade to a higher grade.

I initially wanted to include some more modern coins, but I think that may be a different set.

Phil Arnold
Director of Photography, GreatCollections
greatcollections.com

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

If you want to include the Province of Canada before it became the Dominion of Canada, you could include an 1858/59 Vickie cent. If you are going by strictly Canadian coins, you could delete the Newfoundland coins as they were not part of Canada until 1949.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1958 dollar is gorgeous. Nice birth year coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew when I saw the title in the thread listing, and who its author was, we’d be in for some eye candy and great photos.

Great themed Box of 20 idea! Funny to hear you thinking of nixing the Newfie $2 gold, as I went out of my way to include one in my Box of 100.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilArnold - I love that Voyageur Dollar! B)

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 dollar is killer

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

wonderful coins- terrific images

As for the list, one could consider a box for NF, PEI, NB and a separate box for Canada 1859 ending as late as 1958 so the Dollar pictured can be part of the set. Just a thought... hope the ongoing pursuit is enjoyable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the pieces you have shared with us. I have an affinity for both the 1939 medal and the $2 NFLD coins, so my preference would be to keep both in the set.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 4:08AM

Would gladly send you any of these to help your project but I don't think they are ones you are looking for as I don't know too much about Canadian coins.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 5:15AM

I don't know what your exact parameters are for including it in your box of 20, but the last post reminded me of my vote, as well as the stellar 1943 tombac early in the thread. In the middle of WWII, Canada made this 1945 nickel out of steel, with both nickel and chrome plate. They designed the only coin known to have a Morse Code war message just inside the rim that said "We Win When We Work Willingly". What other coin in history had a Morse Code message for anyone who had a nickel in their pocket?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cool idea and some great coins so far!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider including one of these... I suspect this is one of your images

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

beautiful set, maybe your modern set can include some 1967's

• Options
    PhilArnoldPhilArnold Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    beautiful set, maybe your modern set can include some 1967's

I was thinking that as well. Loonies and Twoonies are something I’d like to include in a modern set. Base metal - but I have distinct memories of the release of both coins.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. You’ve given me a lot to think about regarding how I’ll make choices for the set.

Phil Arnold
    Director of Photography, GreatCollections
    greatcollections.com

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely include a Newfoundland $2 gold in a box of 20. Given the propensity of Newfoundland banks to fail, $2 in gold was 'good' money for sure. Plus it's a three-denomination coin - $2, 200 cents, and 100 pence. I'm still looking to add a nice AU58 piece to my collection but I haven't found the right one yet.