Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Topps Grades

Just got the grades on 32- 1957 Topps Baseball.
I’ve had these for decades, probably 45 years at least. Although overall the grades were good. I just thought it was funny to get 11-8.5s and no 9s. A couple of 9 s would have made this submission great. Never expected 11-8.5s but thought a few were Mint.
Ever notice how on tough cards, you never get the 9 but just miss hitting a home run by getting a grade .5 or 1 grade lower.
Any of those 8.5’s with a half grade bump moves from a $50 card to a $300 to $1000 card

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly uncommon to get that many half grades. Sound like great cards. Share some pics.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2024 7:26AM

When they get back I will. 3 of them haven’t had a card graded higher sell according to VCP in 3-7 yrs

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a great submission!
    Very unusual for so many. 5's, must be well centered cards?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

i sent in 120 cards last submission and got 2 half point grades. I rarely get any half point grades. No doubt they didn't want to move them to a 9 because of the MV. I bet if sent them to Heritage and had them resubmit them, you might get a few 9's.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2024 8:05AM

@olb31 said:
    i sent in 120 cards last submission and got 2 half point grades. I rarely get any half point grades. No doubt they didn't want to move them to a 9 because of the MV. I bet if sent them to Heritage and had them resubmit them, you might get a few 9's.

I’m the king of 8.5s. I get tons of them. Last year I submitted over 5000 cards and got 283 8.5s and 177 7.5s

• Options

Got 3-7.5s in this order too

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

Better yet, send them to 4SC and get all 10s.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2024 10:20AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    Congratulations on a great submission!
    Very unusual for so many. 5's, must be well centered cards?

I’m not unhappy with the overall submission but was hoping for a couple of 9’s. I have about 300 or so more but haven’t decided if I’ll send anymore.
    Did get a Brooklyn Dodgers Team in 8. Great card and Milwaukee Braves Team in 8.5
    A Colavito rookie in 7 which was what I was hoping for

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Those cards must be spectacular to get those grades right now. Look forward to some pictures when you get them back.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭

That's a sensational group of cards!! Great job on the compilation.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you just use the cert number you can take a pic from PSAs web site. Or just give the cert number here.
    Would love to see the current standards for 50s commons.

• Options

I hit a few low pop '57 Mint 9's way back when..., doubt that could happen now. Love 'em raw, though.

Look forward to some pics.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on nice 57 cards. I love that set.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

Congrats on the Brooklyn Dodgers team card grade of 8! Those are my favorite team cards of maybe all Topps years...classy

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

The .5 half grade is the grading equivalent of a tie in sports.

Surely, at least 2-3 of those 8.5s should have been 9s!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

Yeah I thought so. It’s a little bit like getting grazed in the nuts

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Harnessracing said:

@grote15 said:

I have to agree! Considering most of us hardly ever get a half grade it sounds like you had a grader that just didn't want to pull the trigger on nines.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2024 12:35PM

@Cakes said:

@Harnessracing said:

@grote15 said:

I have to agree! Considering most of us hardly ever get a half grade it sounds like you had a grader that just didn't want to pull the trigger on nines.

Just got the grades on 10-1959 Topps Baseball and got 3 more 8.5s, no 9s
    1-7, 1-7.5 and 5-8s

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harness, that's a damn shame! I guess half grades will become more and more common.

Are there any you plan to crack and resubbed or has the second wave of half grades dampened your spirit?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some pictures?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 479 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Harness, that's a damn shame! I guess half grades will become more and more common.

Are there any you plan to crack and resubbed or has the second wave of half grades dampened your spirit?

I thought they were using the half grade less and less. I rarely see half grades in PSA, see it a lot with Beckett.