Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

On Some Spain Coins Sites Charge Delivery + Insurance

ELuisELuis Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 17, 2024 11:20AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This is new to me.

I have done some purchases on coins websites in Spain, and the first time at least on three sites recently, that you have to also pay insurance for deliveries to the USA.

On one was 40 Euros + 14 Euros to deliver the package.
On the other, less than 99 Euros 15 to 40 Euros no Insurance and for more than 120 Euros - 110 Euros + Insurance.

Interesting...

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you prefer them to ship it uninsured? Noonans charges 1%, which I think is excessive, but that’s the way it is.

Shipping is expensive in Europe (even in North America now).

Once I had a package from Austria with contents stolen in the mail (probably in the US). Auction company didn’t even acknowledge me, let alone reimburse me for the loss. USPS paid the maximum for an international parcel (about $40 IIRC).

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 12:02PM

@pruebas said:
    Would you prefer them to ship it uninsured? Noonans charges 1%, which I think is excessive, but that’s the way it is.

Shipping is expensive in Europe (even in North America now).

Once I had a package from Austria with contents stolen in the mail (probably in the US). Auction company didn’t even acknowledge me, let alone reimburse me for the loss. USPS paid the maximum for an international parcel (about $40 IIRC).

On the two I recently saw, on one I was going to buy a coin of a cost of $150USD just as my first purchase there, when I went to finish the transaction, I noticed an extra charge of $45USD for insurance plus delivery cost of $118 . You do not have the choice to add it or not.

150+118+45

On a previous transaction on another site, it was for $180 + 45 + 14

I have paid insurance for coins that I have sent or get but I had the choice, this just noticed on the last five days.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

Standard Registered Mail from Correos in Spain ("Certificada") looks to still start at €6.90, if I'm reading the site correctly. 50-100g is €9. Used to be cheaper... still not awful. I've received probably 200 or so of those since 2010 (though few the last several years), never insurance - don't ever recall losing one.

Has anything changed recently regarding what's theoretically allowed to go in a certain mail tier?

In general, some Spain firms there have always been a bit thickheaded regarding shipping.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this from MA-Shops?

I’ve noticed some vendors there have not lowered their excessive shipping costs since COVID caused them to go up (due to postal issues).

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Is this from MA-Shops?

I’ve noticed some vendors there have not lowered their excessive shipping costs since COVID caused them to go up (due to postal issues).

No, it is one in Spain, have seen it in the past and was my first try-out there.

• Options

@realeswatcher said:
    Standard Registered Mail from Correos in Spain ("Certificada") looks to still start at €6.90, if I'm reading the site correctly. 50-100g is €9. Used to be cheaper... still not awful. I've received probably 200 or so of those since 2010 (though few the last several years), never insurance - don't ever recall losing one.

Has anything changed recently regarding what's theoretically allowed to go in a certain mail tier?

In general, some Spain firms there have always been a bit thickheaded regarding shipping.

Have done many purchases from the EU & UK

On one of my last ones, the shipping was 24Euros (FedEx)

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2024 12:50PM

When I purchase coins from Europe I rather pay more for shipping at least the package gets to me and quick enough. I have paid 14 euros and it was delivered safe and fast. I am use to paying for shipping since I am in Canada most of my orders are from the USA and that is not cheap either.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid 57 Euro for an auction purchase earlier this year (Tauler Fau). Coin cost 300 Euro.

It's steep, but I only buy coins from Spain I can't get in the US when I want to buy it.

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    When I purchase coins from Europe I rather pay more for shipping at least the package gets to me and quick enough. I have paid 14 euros and it was delivered safe and fast. I am use to paying for shipping since I am in Canada most of my orders are from the USA and that is not cheap either.

Those 14 euros was just for delivery/shipping no insurance no? In my case you must pay the shipping+insurance, so I canceled.

• Options

@WCC said:
    I paid 57 Euro for an auction purchase earlier this year (Tauler Fau). Coin cost 300 Euro.

It's steep, but I only buy coins from Spain I can't get in the US when I want to buy it.

Those 57 euros includes insurance?

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2024 1:38PM

@ELuis said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

Those 14 euros was just for delivery/shipping no insurance no? In my case you must pay the shipping+insurance, so I canceled.

I sent them a message (when the order was placed a few months ago) and yes it was insured they said if the package does not arrive you will get a full refund.

Link to the company:

https://www.numismaticabaiget.com/

I also ordered once from Europe threw Ebay and it was about 15$-20$ US for shipping. Again super fast and safe.

Just to give you an idea I pay 20$ US every time I order a coin from the USA minimum for 1st class mail and more if a better shipping service.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

OK, so most of the Spain eBayers seem to be charging the same ol' €7-9 for shipping.

Does anyone have some ACTUAL knowledge of anything specific in terms of possible Spain postal regulations that certain sellers are apparently trying to abide by?? I would be curious myself.

@WCC said:

Geez, that's intolerably rough... I remember multiple purchases from Aureo Calico where they'd do FedEx OVERNIGHT to NY for like €25 or €30.

Maybe Tauler could use some of that €57 to put the gold cob website back up??!! Went away with the old man...

• Options

@ELuis said:

@WCC said:

Those 57 euros includes insurance?

Yes.

• Options

@realeswatcher said:
    OK, so most of the Spain eBayers seem to be charging the same ol' €7-9 for shipping.

Does anyone have some ACTUAL knowledge of anything specific in terms of possible Spain postal regulations that certain sellers are apparently trying to abide by?? I would be curious myself.

@WCC said:

Geez, that's intolerably rough... I remember multiple purchases from Aureo Calico where they'd do FedEx OVERNIGHT to NY for like €25 or €30.

Maybe Tauler could use some of that €57 to put the gold cob website back up??!! Went away with the old man...

I wasn't aware it would cost this much beforehand, but I wanted the coin badly enough. I've bought from Aureo multiple times, but this is the first time from Tauler Fau to my recollection.

• Options

I went and asked about the delivery/shipping service to USA those 110Euros.
    Got a quick response, that they been having problems shipping to USA with UPS, they will check tomorrow with them what it costs.

• Options

On another one, just checked again and was able to view this:

Where they include the shipping plus insurance

For that charge do you think it is not bad?

The coin in this case is a 1R 1736 Mo.