Home Sports Talk
Options

If the NFL is so popular why doesn’t Oregon, Nebraska, Alabama, and Oklahoma have teams ?

4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
edited April 15, 2024 5:55AM in Sports Talk

All those states get 70,000 plus for college each weekend.

Why isn’t the NFL trying to expand their product? That’s what all good businesses do.
It’s called growth. They’re doing it in England and Germany. Why not America 🇺🇸?

Do they feel their product would not sell in these states ? Isn’t it the #1 American sport according to some ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think every state should have their own team.

Obviously New England is different as a group but the states you mentioned should have one

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Yes let's water down the product!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over expansion has not been an asset to MLB, I don’t think more NFL teams would be an improvement for the league.

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Professional NHL ice hockey has more teams in the states of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey combined then does the NFL or MLB

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Ohio State are basically NFL teams.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall those replacement players that one year. The difference in talent was obvious.

That being said, I'd much rather have the NFL expand as the OP mentioned, rather than in foreign countries.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@4Boston said:
    Professional NHL ice hockey has more teams in the states of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey combined then does the NFL or MLB

If you take Cranberries and stew them like apple sauce, they taste more like prunes than rhubarb does.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

In these states College Football is king. Same with Iowa and Nebraska.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2024 12:54PM

While true that college sports are kings in those states the answer is simpler than that. Other NFL teams simply wont allow other teams to come into their market area. Jerry Jones wont allow anything remotely near Dallas and the Chiefs also dont want a team in Oklahoma, the Falcons/Saints/Cowboys/Jags dont want anything in Alabamai, Panthers/Falcons/Titans dont want anything in South Carolina, Seahawks dont want anything in Oregon, Chiefs/Broncos/Bears/Packers/Vikings dont want anything in Nebraska etc.

Oklahoma City and San Antonio would actually be very good expansion spots, Omaha as well but it doesnt look like anything will be happening there any time soon. They want to expand and part of the reason why theyre looking internationally is that the owners wont fight back against a team thats a 1000 or so miles away in another country like they would for a new US team

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

Alaska and Hawaii! Let's go!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas> @Alfonz24 said:

In these states College Football is king. Same with Iowa and Nebraska.

Texas is king for high school and college football and it still supports 2 pro teams

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read where Philly could support 20 new NFL teams.

The only problem would be could the hot dog and beer distributers keep up with all the demand on one day?