Home Sports Talk
Options

Most satisfying sweeps you ever saw.

4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
edited April 10, 2024 2:09AM in Sports Talk

1- 1980 ALCS Royals 3 Yankees 0
Brett hits a 3 run bomb off Gossage in game 3. Gossage and Guidry both 0-1 in the series.

2- Sixers sweep LA in the NBA final when LA had Kareem and Magic.

3- Red Sox over Cardinals in World Series. Each game kept getting better and better.
Outscored them 24-12 and the Cardinals hit .190 the entire series.

Perhaps Joey Gallo was their hitting instructor.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Sox 2004 World Series

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭

1992 Stanley Cup - Penguins had 7 straight wins headed into the finals against the Blackhawks, who had 11 straight of their own. pens swept them to finish the Cup run will 11 straight wins.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:
    1992 Stanley Cup - Penguins had 7 straight wins headed into the finals against the Blackhawks, who had 11 straight of their own. pens swept them to finish the Cup run will 11 straight wins.

That 6-5 game in Chicago was a classic. Keenan pulls Belfour and gives him an earful on the bench.

Hasek a rookie replaces him and stoned Lemieux twice but Jágr and Francis got him.
    Dirk Graham had a hat trick in the first period. Great game.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Reds sweep Yankees.
    2. Reds sweep A's.
      Reds are currently on a 9 game winning streak in the World Series.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn spell check or whatever. 1990 Reds sweep A's.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited April 10, 2024 4:40AM

@Brick said:
    1976. Reds sweep Yankees.
    1990. Reds sweep A's.
    Reds are currently on a 9 game winning streak in the World Series.

🤔

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 7:27AM

After being CRUSHED in Fenway 19-6 on a dank Friday night in Boston, things looking pretty bad for the Red Sox, with the hated Yankees taking a 3-0 lead in the ALCS series. Then Red Sox take the next two in overtime, then defeat the Yankees at home to SWEEP them 4-3 to win the ALCS.

The Red Sox go on to SWEEP the Cardinals 4-0, making their comeback THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL, bar none.

EIGHT IN A ROW!!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    After being CRUSHED in Fenway 19-6 on a dank Friday night in Boston, things looking pretty bad for the Red Sox, with the hated Yankees taking a 3-0 lead in the ALCS series. Then Red Sox take the next two in overtime, then defeat the Yankees at home to SWEEP them 4-3 to win the ALCS.

The Red Sox go on to SWEEP the Cardinals 4-0, making their comeback THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL, bar none.

EIGHT IN A ROW!!

My choice as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed seeing the GSW sweep Cleveland in the 2018 NBA Finals.

It is unfortunate that in the 2019 Finals against Toronto K.D, got injured (after coming back to soon from an injury suffered in the regular season) and that Klay Thomson got injured. Had both K.D. and Thompson been able to play the entire Finals I think that GSW would have won the crown again, making it 4 out of 5 years.

I also enjoyed the Almost Sweep of the 1983 NBA Playoffs by the 76rs. Moses Malone of he 76rs predicted Fo, Fo, Fo prior to the playoffs (12-0, sweeping all three rounds of the playoffs in effect at the time). Moses was close as the 76rs went 12-1 in the playoffs that year losing only to the Bucks in the Eastern Conference Finals. The 76rs swept the Knicks in Round 1, beat the Bucks 4-1 and swept the Lakers 4-0 in the Finals.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for reminding me....I gotta get the garage floor done.... :)

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 5:43PM

True sweeps are generally boring to me unless I had a bet on it or someone was an obnoxious fan on the other side.

The reverse sweeps after being down 3-0 like the 2004 Redsox against the Yankees or the 2014 Kings against the Sharks, where any game could be the last were much more exciting for me

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 04 sweep by the Red Sox was great, but it almost seemed like a letdown after the crazy series against the Yanks in the ALCS. I wonder if my heart could have stood it had that series gone 7 games?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    the 04 sweep by the Red Sox was great, but it almost seemed like a letdown after the crazy series against the Yanks in the ALCS. I wonder if my heart could have stood it had that series gone 7 games?

Are you kidding?

Even when they were up 3 games to 0 I was still on the edge of my seat stressing about getting past the Curse.

Up 3 to 0 doesn't mean a thing especially with the Red Sox at that time

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:
    1- 1980 ALCS Royals 3 Yankees 0
    Brett hits a 3 run bomb off Gossage in game 3. Gossage and Guidry both 0-1 in the series.

2- Sixers sweep LA in the NBA final when LA had Kareem and Magic.

3- Red Sox over Cardinals in World Series. Each game kept getting better and better.
    Outscored them 24-12 and the Cardinals hit .190 the entire series.

Perhaps Joey Gallo was their hitting instructor.

Completely agree with No. 1.
    However according to Dallas and 48swell Brett never did anything good in the playoffs so it was probably Onix Concepcion or some other player who was the hero. Maybe Onix had an important sac. bunt or struck out instead of grounding into a double play.🤷🏼‍♂️

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I know to avoid the crab legs at Cocomos. Thanks George!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Are you kidding?

Even when they were up 3 games to 0 I was still on the edge of my seat stressing about getting past the Curse.

no, I really wasn't too worked up for the series. game one is the only one that was up in the air. after that it was pretty much a cake walk

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Are you kidding?

That was honestly a really boring world series. The Red Sox scored in the first inning of every game and had the lead for every single inning of the entire series. The games werent all the close and there were no lead changes

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Are you kidding?

That was honestly a really boring world series. The Red Sox scored in the first inning of every game and had the lead for every single inning of the entire series. The games werent all the close and there were no lead changes

Nope but being in the cusp of such a magical and surreal moment was still a situation for me anyways that was still a stressful thing