Home Sports Talk

Do the 2024 Red Sox have the greatest pitching staff ever ?

4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
edited April 7, 2024 12:39AM in Sports Talk

If they keep this up they might, but they haven’t faced the AL East yet. Off to an incredible start. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️

The AL East hitting is down so far this year.

Comments

• 4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Sad thing is the staff let up Zero earned runs yesterday and lost 2-1.
    Bad defense and poor offense.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

Cora screwed that up !
    He should never have had Dalbec as DH !
    If he had to use Dalbec at all he should have played him at 3rd base and put that 20 Mil bozo at DH.
    At least he would have had a good fielder at 3rd that way instead of deadheads at both positions,

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see this happen, too many games to go to make a call on this now

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh Devers...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 games into an MLB season is way, way too early to get excited about anybody or anything and there's no way an informed opinion can be given, even by the best baseball people. Think about it, this is like making an NFL prediction based on the season opener.

@Maywood said:
    10 games into an MLB season is way, way too early to get excited about anybody or anything and there's no way an informed opinion can be given, even by the best baseball people. Think about it, this is like making an NFL prediction based on the season opener.

So are you saying that the Braves and Dodgers don’t have great hitting teams even though the early data shows they do ?

@4Boston, I think what I posted is pretty clear and that you know what I mean. No need to get into a back and forth.

@Maywood said:
    @4Boston, I think what I posted is pretty clear and that you know what I mean. No need to get into a back and forth.

I’m guessing you didn’t know there were high expectations for this young staff entering the season.

That happens every year with every team, it's called hype. What would you expect a team to say, "Well another year, we made some off-season changes but we'll probably suck."

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    That happens every year with every team, it's called hype. What would you expect a team to say, "Well another year, we made some off-season changes but we'll probably suck."

Is that what we would call a team's SALE PITCH ?

@Maywood said:

I guess you also didn’t know most experts thought their staff wasn’t even Top 20 worthy before the year began.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@Maywood said:

I guess you also didn’t know most experts thought their staff wasn’t even Top 20 worthy before the year began.

Because its not. Theres still a 150ish games to play. They might end up in the middle to upper teens with the significant injuries happening to other staffs, but they havent even played 10% of the season yet

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@4Boston said:

@Maywood said:

Because its not. Theres still a 150ish games to play. They might end up in the middle to upper teens with the significant injuries happening to other staffs, but they havent even played 10% of the season yet

30 games played. They are heads and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

The greatest pitching staff ever??? To quote John Mcenroe You CANNOT be Serious

How on earth could you possibly come up with that? They've only played 30 games. EVER covers a helluva lot of pitching staffs, and this team is light years from being the greatest.

BEYOND Irrational exuberance

edited May 1, 2024 8:59AM

Here are the best team ERAs after 1966. PEDs were not widely used back then. So far the Sox are looking just as impressive then that great Orioles staff from 1972.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

I can't say they are the greatest but they are sure better than last years crop were.
    I said I liked them before the season began and the pitching coach has done wonders with them but we can have that discussion after the year is over.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@Basebal21 said:

@4Boston said:

@Maywood said:

30 games played. They are heads and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league.

30 games is less than 20 percent of the season. Theyre one bad week away from dramatically falling. If theyre still at the top of the league in August we can start talking about them being one of the best this season

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited May 1, 2024 3:24PM

One of the acknowledged "greatest" pitching staffs of all time for comparison is that of the 1954 Cleveland Indians. The team won a then record 111 games in a 156 game season and were subsequently beaten in 4 games by Willie Mays and the Giants. Looking at a staff after about 20 games is just ridiculous homer-ism, but we do that as fans. Compare the numbers below with those of the OP and extrapolate if you'd like. That year I think the Indian's starters completed a staggering 77 games and won 93, hard to imagine anything close to that in today's MLB.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭

I’m just sitting on my hands until Basebal21 tells me it’s time to get excited.

We’re to a point where the data is real and has statistical significance. However. Those statistics can be influenced so considerably by one random event that…. Well. Everyone knows the rest.

It’s still fun and fine to be excited and if that staff stays healthy you’re looking good.

I wish the brewers could get some pitching health.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set