Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT- Could have bought a Babe Ruth Auto but went Rock N' Roll instead...

For the cost I could have picked up a 'lower end' Babe Ruth cut auto but I'm a firm believer in collecting/investing in what you like and this piece just blew me away.

I present my Ritchie Valens signed original pressing promo photo. For those who may not know he was one of the musicians killed in "The Day The Music Died" plane crash (winning his seat on the flight by a last minute coin flip) that also claimed Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper. He was only 17 and unfortunately only had a 8 month career. In that time his biggest hit was Donna (hit #2) but he's probably more remembered for La Bamba. It's a very sad and interesting story and anyone interested I would highly recommend reading more about him.

Also, a big shout out to board member Dizzle who helped me get this deal done. (wasn't his item)

Comments

• Options
    Plenty of Babe Ruth autos floating around that you can pick up later on. Can't be too many Valens' especially one that nice.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece!!!
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    That is truly unique and very cool! Congrats!
  • Options
    Agree with LSU , can't be many Valens autos around . Congrats on a fantastic item
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Very nice. I think you should go after the other two that died in the crash and have them framed with the newspaper clipping. That would be an awesome conversation piece.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is very nice!
    I believe the coin toss was between Ritchie Valens and Waylon Jenning right?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow that is very nice!
    I believe the coin toss was between Ritchie Valens and Waylon Jenning right? >>

Thanks for the kind words guys, It was a big pick up.

On the Winter Dance Party tour there turned out to be no tour manager so Buddy took it upon himself to get the plane for his band (out of his own money), a drummer was already in the hospital from frostbite (Valens actually played drums in Holly's set that night and vice versa),when the bus was actually running it did so without heat. Waylon (In Buddy Holly's band) gave his seat to Big Bopper, Ritchie bugged Tommy Allsup (Buddy Holly's band) for his seat until he conceded and said he would flip for it. Apparently, both men have greatly struggled with the guilt (obviously, not their fault).

"When Holly learned that Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes." This exchange of words, though made in jest at the time, haunted Jennings for the rest of his life."
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Here is a trivia note: Can you guess the other musician that was supposed to be on that plane with them but didn't go for some reason at the last minute?
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Thats very nice, Congratulations
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Here is a trivia note: Can you guess the other musician that was supposed to be on that plane with them but didn't go for some reason at the last minute? >>

DION
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    VLAD ... very nice pick-up. When I first read your post, I thought it was crazy to pick up the Valens instead of Ruth. Then I re-read it and you said a LOWER end Ruth, which could mean a Ruth that you could just about read. As Bill stated, Ruth's auto is available any day of the week. You don't see a Valens come around that often. VERY NICE PICK-UP. Enjoy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    That is a great looking auto and a tough one to get, congrats! image
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a trivia note: Can you guess the other musician that was supposed to be on that plane with them but didn't go for some reason at the last minute? >>

Waylon Jennings is the answer.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

<< <i>

Waylon Jennings is the answer. >>

and the Big Bopper wouldn't have been on the plane then (he took Waylon's seat), either way a terrible loss...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very nice pickup!

I was a Holly fan but I did like the song Donna.

For someone who's too young to get any of this - the name of the plane was the "American Pie" - when my sister found out about the crash - she cried like a baby.

The influence of Holly rippled across the pond to GB and people still enjoy his music today.

Valens' career was cut so shot - so it's hard to say how far he would've gone - I can still remember seeing people slow dancing to Donna on the Dick Clark Show.

I'm in agreement with those who think that having the trio would be a great prize.

Congratulations on your pickup.
    Mike
  • Options
    I imagine getting Big Bopper and Richie Valens is tough, but getting them in their real names would be even more so. What's a Richie Valenzuela worth?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece and +1 for a Lee sighting.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a TOUGH item Im sure! Congrats on finding it..

I saw the movie about this whole thing, very sad. As far as a few other guys that were involved talk about twists of fate!
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup. He had a shot at a great career if that unfortunate uncident would not have occurred.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    That is a awsome and unique piece
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very nice pick up

congrats!!

you don't see too many of those floating around
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Also for those too young, Don McClean(sp?) hence did the song "The day the Music Died" (Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie)
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

For someone who's too young to get any of this - the name of the plane was the "American Pie" -. >>

Sorry to tell you, but that's an urban legend. See snopes here:

Truth about American Pie
  • Options
    Is that Jim Plunkett lol?
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    the original Valenzuela
  • Options
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Long, long time ago . . . >>

My favorite song of ALL-TIME
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. I think you should go after the other two that died in the crash and have them framed with the newspaper clipping. That would be an awesome conversation piece. >>

Buddy Holly has been purchased!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Long, long time ago . . . >>

My favorite song of ALL-TIME >>

I ALWAYS enjoyed that song. I still have the original album and record that I bought back when I was about 13. I also enjoyed listening to VINCENT
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Did I read that right, Vlad? You just purchased a Buddy Holly autograph? You gotta post it, please!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did I read that right, Vlad? You just purchased a Buddy Holly autograph? You gotta post it, please! >>

these are FAR better than Ruth's IMO
  • Options
    PjscurrencyandsportsPjscurrencyandsports Posts: 1
    edited March 19, 2024 1:08PM

I have this Buddy Holly autograph from GAB Entertainment with a COA from UACC Cert# 911222611911 if anyone is interested in this please let me know thanks an also any insight would be great about this as I don’t have any idea on how much these cost or if there is any knowledge about the companies both G.A.B Entertainment and UACC again thanks.

• Options

record breaking thread with 7 banned people. Nice ! Those were the days.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:

Damnit, and i was just reading along until i noticed the dates!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@Ridethelightning said:

Damnit, and i was just reading along until i noticed the dates!

That has happened to me a few times.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

I went along on the ride too. At least this was a short one pager. Big Bopper is underrated.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

I like when members bring up old forgotten threads, blasts from the past.

• Options

This is a sports forum, I woulda bought the Ruth cut and not think twice about it.