Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a valuable card? Not sure what it's worth.

It's in perfect condition. Totally mint.
I just have no idea what it's worth and ebay sold items are all over the place.
Thanks in advance.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome card!

Centering isn't great, and it's probably as bad on the back. These days you'll get dinged a lot with centering off that much L/R. Hard to tell from the photo but at least one corner looks a bit soft too.

With that centering these days it's probably a 6/7.

Also, you should be very careful about putting it in a screw-down holder. Lots of folks on here have seen cards that wouldn't get graded due to the fact they've been flattened in screw-downs. I know at least one person that's happened to so watch that.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate your response. I don't own it yet. I might buy all of his cards. This is just one he showed me.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Awesome card!

Centering isn't great, and it's probably as bad on the back. These days you'll get dinged a lot with centering off that much L/R. Hard to tell from the photo but at least one corner looks a bit soft too.

With that centering these days it's probably a 6/7.

Also, you should be very careful about putting it in a screw-down holder. Lots of folks on here have seen cards that wouldn't get graded due to the fact they've been flattened in screw-downs. I know at least one person that's happened to so watch that.

Agreed. No way a top grading company calls that “mint.”

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

The best-case scenario is a grade 7, which sell for over $1k. But I have heard PSA rejects a lot of cards that were in screw down holders for a long time so I would be careful.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remove it from the screw-down holder...it smashes the corners.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Screwdown holders & PSA don't like each other. If the card has been in the holder for years, I would stay away.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    Screwdown holders & PSA don't like each other. If the card has been in the holder for years, I would stay away.

You can already see the smash of the top right corner in the lucite.. Taking it out now after decades isn't going to make a difference. But SGC or BGS or CGC will grade it if PSA rejects it.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@steel75 said:

You can already see the smash of the top right corner in the lucite.. Taking it out now after decades isn't going to make a difference. But SGC or BGS or CGC will grade it if PSA rejects it.

I'm sure SGC or whomever will grade it. But keep that in mind that PSA probably will not when making an offer.
    We all know the value difference between PSA/SGC.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@vols1 said:
    The best-case scenario is a grade 7, which sell for over $1k. But I have heard PSA rejects a lot of cards that were in screw down holders for a long time so I would be careful.

I've sent PSA cards that were in screw down holders for years and no issues grading. I bought a 54 Ted Williams card in 1980
    for $40 and kept it in a penny sleeve in a weighted down Webster's Dictionary for 15 years before finding it again (should look up words more often). Submitted it to PSA and received a 6 mk. Really didn't pay much attention to the card details before submitting it and when it came back with mk at 1st couldn't find it but eventually did. Looking at it now I think the card was over graded but OK by me since I was a big TW fan.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice card! Per VCP, average price for that card in a PSA 6 holder is about $750. An SGC 6 is little lower at $690.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is SGC still more lenient on centering?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no purchased it yet.
    I've learned my lesson about buying things I have little or no knowledge about.
    I may make tue owner an off er of $200 after reading this.
    Does that seem fair?

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 5:25AM

To the OP please take this as constructive but the card is nowhere close to mint.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Is SGC still more lenient on centering?

If so, those days now have near term expiration date

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@vols1 said:

I've sent PSA cards that were in screw down holders for years and no issues grading. I bought a 54 Ted Williams card in 1980
    for $40 and kept it in a penny sleeve in a weighted down Webster's Dictionary for 15 years before finding it again (should look up words more often). Submitted it to PSA and received a 6 mk. Really didn't pay much attention to the card details before submitting it and when it came back with mk at 1st couldn't find it but eventually did. Looking at it now I think the card was over graded but OK by me since I was a big TW fan.

But of course there is a huge difference. The primary factor is that what you did distributed the pressure at least relatively equally, while a screw-down crushes the corners disproportionately.

• Options

@daltex. Did you read the 1st line of my post? 'I've sent PSA cards that were in screw down holders for years and no issues grading"

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:
    @daltex. Did you read the 1st line of my post? 'I've sent PSA cards that were in screw down holders for years and no issues grading"

I did. Clearly many have had the opposite experience. And your example of the Williams doesn't support your first sentence.

• Options

2 different examples of what I experienced. Clearly you chose to speak to only 1.

• Options

@jraytay said:

@vols1 said:

This is killing me! Where’s the mark?

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

@jraytay said:

@vols1 said:

Guessing it is the red “crayon” on the Topps logo above the card number on the back. If not that, I cannot find it either.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

@jraytay said:

@vols1 said:

Guessing it is the red “crayon” on the Topps logo above the card number on the back. If not that, I cannot find it either.

You found it!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually most are just repeating what they have heard. I’ve also subbed lots of cards that were in screwdowns that are in PSA slabs.

I have no doubt collectors have gotten rejections on cards from screwdowns, I’ve gotten min size in cards that measured so rejections are BAU - but a broad “PSA won’t slab” is flat out incorrect. Either the card has damage or it doesn’t, PSA has no magical powers to identify if a card was kept in a screwdown. Wish people would stop spreading this myth, but lots of new collectors I guess.

@daltex said:

@jraytay said:

I did. Clearly many have had the opposite experience. And your example of the Williams doesn't support your first sentence.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2024 11:54AM

I have probably submitted well over a dozen cards that I've picked up through the years that were in screw-downs and none have ever not gotten a numerical grade. (Although I am sure many others HAVE had them rejected...I guess I have just been lucky)

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

It depends on how tight the screws are screwed down. I have many that were in screw downs and were graded, but none recently.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The qualifier really knocks the value down. Less than $600 according to VCP.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph