Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cal Ripken - Buy or Not to Buy

I am thinking of buying a 1982 Topps Cal Ripken PSA 10 card. The regular issue not traded one. Is this a good decision? I'm thinking it is a card which should maintain its value. What say you guys and gals who have much more knowledge than I.

PackManInNC

Comments

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1982 Traded is the best looking RC. The 1982 base issue is nice but I think the Traded will always be in the most demand.

Mike
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the card you are looking for, 1982 Topps #21 as his top rookie card. I picked up a PSA 9 4 years back and the value has basically held flat (not dropped like other pandemic buys).

I don’t think its popularity will ever surpass the traded card, but not actually being a rookie card, it should surpass it.

I would not expect big swings in the value of a PSA 10, not going to sell in a few years for a nice profit.. but it should hold.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2024 9:14AM

@ndleo said:
    The 1982 Traded is the best looking RC. The 1982 base issue is nice but I think the Traded will always be in the most demand.

I agree however the reg 82 should continue to do well, and even better in PSA 10.

I can only see Cal's cards going up, his streak is almost impossible to break and if anyone did get close it would create even more buzz for Cal.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the whole "not a rookie card" argument for the Traded Ripken. You could say the same thing about a certian Yankee with a 1951 RC but with a 1952 top value card :)

I agree, Cal is one of the most iconic players from that era. His cards are as rock solid as any blue chip investment. Hopefully he doesn't have a white Bronco and AC to drive him.

Mike
  • Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭

Regarding the 82 Ripken (non traded card) would it be a better investment to purchase ten high end 9's or one 10? The price would be about the same.

Actually you could buy 15 PSA 9's or one PSA 10. What's the best investment. Personally I would rather have the 15 high end 9's but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd do the 10, but that's just me. I'm a big Ripken fan love all his 82s.
    (I also have a LOT of FASCs of the 82 traded sets sitting in a box in storage that I bought around '17 that I refuse to open)

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I love the 82 Topps regular Ripken, no one has talked about the pop but that card has a very low pop. I think it has a lot of room to run

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the fleer is actually the most difficult one to find in 10? I would look for one of those

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

The percentage of 10’s is tougher on the Topps than the Fleer though

• swish54swish54 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, Cal's stuff is solid. One of the most liked and collected players of his era.

I would go with one ten, not 15 9's. Quality over quantity.

• PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 333 ✭✭✭

I agree, quality over quantity but make sure its a nice 10.

Based on a quick look
    PSA 10
    Topps Traded-$7200
    Topps-$1600
    Fleer- $3000
    Donruss- $1300

I'd actually go the 3 base PSA 10 cards and pick up and autographed PSA 9 Topps Traded with the remainder. I'm not saying its going to happen but those sets came 100 to a case. I believe it was 4SC that submitted between 100 and 300 increasing the population immensely about a decade ago. With the regular Topps, Donruss and Fleer, its difficult to find anything gradable from unopened with the condition issues of each release.

• 4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@mexpo75 said:
    I am thinking of buying a 1982 Topps Cal Ripken PSA 10 card. The regular issue not traded one. Is this a good decision? I'm thinking it is a card which should maintain its value. What say you guys and gals who have much more knowledge than I.

Buy the one you’d enjoy having.
    If you’re investing then roll the dice.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Donruss is the prettiest of the true RCs. The Orioles are winning the World Series this year, so these should get a bump in interest.

You can get 15-1 to 20-1 odds on Baltimore winning the series. If you believe what you said you should put down $100 on them. It would be a nice payday.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think the fleer is actually the most difficult one to find in 10? I would look for one of those

I'm glad you said it. By far the toughest.

Work hard and you will succeed!!