Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling Options for 1979-89 Topps Sets (Bulk)?

Hi, I was hoping to get the board's opinion. I picked up a large local collection recently that is comprised of bulk number of hand collated (and later factory) sets. I have no issue moving singles but sets are not my forte. Here is an example of what I have acquired (in roundabout quantities):

Baseball:
1979 Topps Set x2
1980 Topps Set x5
1982 Topps set x3
1983 Topps set x6
1985 Topps set x6
1987 Topps set x9

Football:
1981 Topps set x4
1982 Topps set x5
1983 Topps set x3
1984 Topps set x5
1985 Topps set x3
1986 Topps set x6

etc. I could individually sell on ebay, or lot them up on ebay or perhaps Marketplace. I am open to ideas for best way to move these, ideally not 1 at a time shipped. There are a lot of singles to deal with as well so curious to hear any suggestions for best way to move these. Sets are primarily crisp, nm/m hand collated sets with nice star RC's.

Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't say how you want to do this, quickly or slowly and how much time you want to spend or how much you want to maximize your profits.

As much as I hate eBay taking as much as they do, I would sell there, as you get some protection.

Sets are hard to sell imo. People don't seem to be willing to pay much (I'm assuming you didn't pay too much for the be entire lot) and shipping can get expensive.

You could list some sets with opening bids that you want to get, or groups of them, and see what the interest is.

A 1983 baseball set can go for $300.00, but the rookies better be well centered.

I would go through each hand collated set and check for potential 10's in rookies and major stars. Pull and submit those for grading, list the others $ cards raw.

You didn't say what factory sets you have. Check eBay sold items to see what they go for to decide if you want to open and pull best cards, or sell as is.

I don't think there's a market for commons, even if you can find some low pop ones that have 10 potential. Many (all?) that grade a 9 or lower, will not sell for the grading fee. PSA seems to be pretty strict at this time on grades.

If you want to spend the time, you can put together team sets with what's left, and try to sell on eBay, but I doubt there's much of a market there.

Donating or throwing out the rest is probably the answer if you are not wanting to spend a LOT of time on the project.

You can spend a lot of time selling raw singles of HOF players on eBay.

Good luck with your project, sounds like fun and a lot of work! 😁

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Are any of the choice cards gradable? High grades of individual cards would bring in more money than the sets most likely.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

What area of the country are you located in? The easiest way to unload everything at once is in a local in person sale.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I am 100% in the same boat right now. As already mentioned, shipping can eat into profits big time. That being said, I have noticed that the new USPS Ground Advantage has made shipping more affordable. If it were me, I would determine what I felt was a fair price for each set, then list them with a buy-it-now at that price on ebay, or 10% less on Marketplace or even the BST Forum here. I would also definitely combine the sets, for example, on the football sets, sell one lot of 1981 through 1986 sets at a time. There are some amazing rookie cards during those years, provide photos of each rookie to give an idea of condition and let 'er rip. The postage on 6 sets combined would be considerably less than the postage on 6 individual sets added together.

As a side note, I wish eBay would allow a better way to sell singles. Technically "Pick any X cards for $Y" items are not allowed, but if they were, it would be better for both set collectors and sellers. You could sell commons from those sets all day in groups of 20 or 30 for 50 cents or more apiece and do really well.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.

Joe- you are right, I didn’t outlay my thought process on timeline for this. On the sets in particular I’m hoping to take a haircut and wholesale some out in lots for sure. I’ll post a picture soon so you can see how much I’m dealing with and my reason for saying that! I like your idea of going thru major stars for grading. These cards are nice but I know PSA is hammering major RCs from this era so I’m thinking unless something screams GRADE ME, I’m going to sell most raw, together as sets. Again perhaps something will force my hand (hopefully) and I’ll make that decision when the time comes.

Rufus- certainly believe some may be. I’ve been through 5% of this so time will tell! Thanks for the reply.

Hoop- I’m in the Tampa area.

If anyone is interested in anything in particular, I’d love to sell as much as I can to members here. Please reach out of post on this thread what you may be interested in. A couple folks have already, and I’ll get back to them shortly.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Here are the 86 ‘extras’. I haven’t pulled the sets yet. As you can see this is not junk by any means!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you like them apples? 🤣

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:

Hey, reminder to put one of those APPLE labels on that box that was left clearly saying METH ! What are you really selling here ? :)

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d take my time and pick all the gradeable singles out. High grade a few nice sets to keep, and then sell the rest in bulk lots.

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I would group them in 'runs' (ie, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1987) as one lot.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I'd consider some of those sets.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

CK the 80 Hendersons and the 79 Ozzies and the 83 big three plus Ryans, and Ripens, for grading.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in any factory sets from 82, 83, 84 and 85.

Brian

• Options
    edited March 5, 2024 1:56PM

Anybody want to share their wantlists here ? I’m ready to start pulling and selling. Sold one ‘80 set so far.

Photo showing quality. This guy had a great eye.
    ![]

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Do you still have any baseball sets available?

• Options

@GoTigers said:
    Do you still have any baseball sets available?

Tons. Haven’t hardly touched them yet, started primarily with football. Have 3-7 sets from 81 through 89, topps, fleer, donruss. It’s a lot!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:

As a side note, I wish eBay would allow a better way to sell singles. Technically "Pick any X cards for $Y" items are not allowed, but if they were, it would be better for both set collectors and sellers. You could sell commons from those sets all day in groups of 20 or 30 for 50 cents or more apiece and do really well.

Not to go too far off topic, and possibly not off topic at all, but can't you just list the cards at $5.00 (or whatever it takes to make it worth your while), with something like a 30% discount for 2-5 cards, 50% for 6-10, etc. until you get to 20 or 30 and more 90% off. It must be allowed because I see enough listings that eBay must provide a template, if not with such an extreme bulk discount.

The only drawbacks I see is that people may not click because of the high "headline" price, and that some may not want to choose the full 30 cards for their $15.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Are any of the 83 and 85 baseball sets factory sets?

What condition are the 83 and 86 football sets?

Brian