Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting if true

No more sgc ?

Comments

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 9:13PM

If it's true, it's probably the best way to be able to serve their vintage markets in the near-term (ie. while pokemon and ultra modern are still coming in by the truckload). Still surprised, though.

Edit: His follow-up tweet says both brands would carry on separately so I guess it wouldn't expand PSA's capacity after all.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@demondeacs said:
    If it's true, it's probably the best way to be able to serve their vintage markets in the near-term (ie. while pokemon and ultra modern are still coming in by the truckload). Still surprised, though.

Surprised beckett only has 4%

They seem to get a ton of modern cards

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

@demondeacs said:

Surprised beckett only has 4%

They seem to get a ton of modern cards

For whatever reason, Beckett went a long time without expanding their capacity significantly. I think have recently, though.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Evening,

And you all Don't see any problem with One Vendor owning %85 of the Market? Really?...Really?

Wow!

Hope you guys just continue to love and live A Monopoly!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Will the PSA registry then accept SGC graded cards?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

This stinks - choice is good. The one thing I would like to come out of it is a combined registry.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like any company monopolizing the market, whether it's this news, or Fanatics taking over the card and memorabilia markets, along with the equipment the players use. The consumer loses in all these situations.

How long will it be until we get news that either Collectors or Fanatics is buying the other, to form a behemoth?????

COMPETITION IS KING!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

For pretty much all this century it's been PSA and these other guys.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 3:14AM

I couldn’t be happier if true.
    As an owner of PSA graded cards I always want their business to prosper and be the best of the best in the industry.

There has never been any “competition” in the market.

There are alternatives, but no one competes with PSA.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 6:05AM

More thoughts and predictions after sleeping in the news:

1) In the short run, this is going to lead to less specials by PSA. SGCs pricing and turnaround times kept PSAs vintage specials coming. Though they didn’t lose market share, the market has grown significantly. No specials, no problem you will grade with us anyway at SGC.

2) At some point I think PSA just kills the SGC brand. Cost saves will happen by just combining the two.

3) Crossovers will become more fair and more expensive on SGC cards. Nat has said that the reason they are so conservative is the inability to see the card out of the case. Now they can crack and reslab into an SGC holder. If business lags offering a crossover/reholder option will boost submissions.

4) PSA will lower the limit on their guarantee. They put a limit last year and the guarantee is their main differentiator as a grading company. If this causes a backlash (which it won’t) at all on high & cards - what am I paying extra for if the guarantee only covers xxx - then I will just go get it graded at SGC for cheaper. OK we have your money anyway. Even after they kill the SGC brand there is little risk to lowering the limit. Who is going to switch to BVG or CSG for vintage or especially pre-war.

Great move for PSA. Bad move for the hobby and competition.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 8:49AM

I wonder if this is a defensive move by PSA to remove their most significant competition before Fanatics realizes they need to buy a grading company. I don't see much impact on the hobby since PSA is already so dominate.

I am surprised Beckett hasn't been purchased yet. To me Beckett is a fixer upper that has a good structure but hasn't been maintained in 15 years. At the Burbank show, SGC, Beckett, PSA, and TAG had large set-ups. By the quality of the displays, it was PSA #1, TAG, SGC, and then Beckett was a distant #4. Despite their low-tech set-up, Beckett still drew a good number of collectors and there are still some modern collectors that prefer BGS over PSA. Late Sat at the show, the Beckett booth was dead so I stopped by to drop off a reholder order and chatted with the big Beckett guy. He was also surprised that they hadn't been purchased yet. He mentioned that the new management is trying to shake things up at Beckett and it is causing some organizational stress.

Mike
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

My concern is will PSA keep SGC's current grading standards or change them to be in line with what PSA has now?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont like this news. it is always better to have more options than fewer. I think this will open the door for Fanatics to come in and take over Beckett. CGC grades mostly gaming cards so i dont see fanatics buying them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Making an all-graded pack product is an obvious play for Fanatics.

Looks like we are going back to the early 2000's hobby!

Mike
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

good point @ndleo

if they did purchase Beckett, it would be an immediate boost for that company.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 3:55PM

@swish54 said:
    My concern is will PSA keep SGC's current grading standards or change them to be in line with what PSA has now?

I don't think this is even a question. I'd say it is a certainty that if SGC is to survive this takeover it would have to take on all the exact standards that PSA currently has including pricing structure and grading standards. It would make absolutely no sense at all for SGC to continue under the CU umbrella and operate differently that PSA. Once they put these changes in place for SGC it all but kills any consumer incentive to grade with SGC. Once the market for SGC dries up, CU can officially close the door on the SGC brand which would be the intent when the purchase was made. This is all about acquiring the 8% of market and moving it to PSA and nothing else.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:

@swish54 said:

I don't think this is even a question. I'd say it is a certainty that if SGC is to survive this takeover it would have to take on all the exact standards that PSA currently has including pricing structure and grading standards. It would make absolutely no sense at all for SGC to continue under the CU umbrella and operate differently that PSA. Once they put these changes in place for SGC it all but kills any incentive to grade with SGC.

That seems likely unless they come back and give SGC a reason for existing. Maybe they start using them as the Vintage Experts, or TCG Experts or similar. That way they can have a reason to live. Otherwise, you're right. There's no reason for them to live if they're just PSA but with a different label.

I'm not sure how you spin that off like what I mentioned though. If they become the Vintage Experts then that's going to piss off a lot of PSA folks with vintage slabs. Or vice versa.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

@ArtVandelay said:

@swish54 said:

I don't think this is even a question. I'd say it is a certainty that if SGC is to survive this takeover it would have to take on all the exact standards that PSA currently has including pricing structure and grading standards. It would make absolutely no sense at all for SGC to continue under the CU umbrella and operate differently that PSA. Once they put these changes in place for SGC it all but kills any incentive to grade with SGC.

That seems likely unless they come back and give SGC a reason for existing. Maybe they start using them as the Vintage Experts, or TCG Experts or similar. That way they can have a reason to live. Otherwise, you're right. There's no reason for them to live if they're just PSA but with a different label.

I'm not sure how you spin that off like what I mentioned though. If they become the Vintage Experts then that's going to piss off a lot of PSA folks with vintage slabs. Or vice versa.

I can definitely see them taking on SGC staff and utilizing them for vintage. But, anything labeled "SGC" would clearly upset people that have invested heavily on vintage PSA registries, etc. I just can't believe a company so invested in branding "PSA" would ever consider any kind of investment in branding SGC under the CU umbrella. It would be counterintuitive.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@ArtVandelay said:

@swish54 said:

I can definitely see them taking on SGC staff and utilizing them for vintage. But, anything labeled "SGC" would clearly upset people that have invested heavily on vintage PSA registries, etc. I just can't believe a company so invested in branding "PSA" would ever consider any kind of investment in branding SGC under the CU umbrella. It would be counterintuitive.

sounds right to me.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont believe CGC does more business than SGC and Beckett.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@ArtVandelay said:

@swish54 said:

sounds right to me.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SGC holder will be obsolete under PSA...IMHO.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Let's hope not. I like the SGC holder much better. Maybe they will switch to the SGC holder with the PSA label.

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

SGC will retain its Brand and PSA/Collector's universe will function as the parent company...Kinda Like when Ebay bought Paypal and Facebook bought Instagram etc...they will each benfit from synergies

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

But SGC doesn’t offer a bolt on accessory like PayPal. This is more like ebay buying Mercari and leaving it out there. The end product is essentially the same - a grading vehicle. I don’t understand why it would be left as a stand alone business in perpetuity. If nothing else it will ultimately be influenced (culturally, procedurally, standard adoption) by its new parent. Whether things are imposed sooner than later is another question. Though I do recognize I could be completely missing something here. And hope that I am.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Let's hope not. I like the SGC holder much better. Maybe they will switch to the SGC holder with the PSA label.

I'm 100% sure the sole determining factor will be cost.

• Options

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:
    SGC will retain its Brand and PSA/Collector's universe will function as the parent company...Kinda Like when Ebay bought Paypal and Facebook bought Instagram etc...they will each benfit from synergies

Interesting!!

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Yes the holder as well as grading consistency seems to be the most important to customers and maybe once the acquisition is complete (down the road) the customer can choose which type of holder they want their cards in as both companies have advantages in certain aspects of cardboard grading...at any rate it does get people to THINK!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way the FTC has been lately regarding antitrust issues a lot less clear than this, I'll believe it when the deal closes.

• Options

The FTC let Fanatics pretty much own the ultra modern product market after 2025. I doubt they will care about this.

Mike