Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Larry Bird and Magic Johnson rookie singles...

Has anyone ever received an official reason why PSA will not grade these cards? Now that they are grading Star cards and almost all other perforated issues I would think it would be a no brainer to be grading these cards.

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. Especially if they are already grading things like these:

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just makes logical sense. Many times, if it makes sense, it won't happen. That goes for all things in life....work policies, governmental policies, sports rules, etc.

Shane

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought there might be a market to superglue them back together and get graded as Authentic. Silly, but viable?

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

They also grade the 1972 Sunoco Stamps (football) and these which came in strips of 10:

So if it's true they won't grade the individual 1980 Topps basketball cards, it doesn't make a lot of sense, other than their heads will explode figuring out how to holder something that small. Does SGC or Beckett grade the individual cards?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 2:47PM

They should grade those singles. These other examples aren’t great, in my opinion, but a better one will be the 1969 Topps 4-in-1’s. They grade the full card, and grade the perforated punch outs.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree. i see no reason why they won't. heck they grade topps micro and i can't even tell what the card says.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I have never tried to grade the individual perforated cards, so I don't know why they don't grade them. But, my guess is that because they are a regular issue card and not an insert or promo or specialty card, etc. I know BVG grades the perforated ones. Another possible reason is that PSA views them as though they we not meant to be separated, but that really doesn't make sense based on Topps advertising. I'm still wondering why they won't grade the only known error card from this set - the JAMS error.

Matt

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were meant to be broke apart. I always thought they looked ridiculous having 3 players in one card.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

What’s the jams error?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2024 6:00AM

@Ahmanfan said:
    What’s the jams error?

James Silas is spelled 'Jams' on some cards - Littletweed (Matt) has the pix on his post above.

Daniel
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Littletweed said:
    I have never tried to grade the individual perforated cards, so I don't know why they don't grade them. But, my guess is that because they are a regular issue card and not an insert or promo or specialty card, etc. I know BVG grades the perforated ones. Another possible reason is that PSA views them as though they we not meant to be separated, but that really doesn't make sense based on Topps advertising. I'm still wondering why they won't grade the only known error card from this set - the JAMS error.

That advertisement is amazing! Let me know if you ever want to part with it!?!?!?

• Options

If they were to grade these, or for the ones that are similar that they do grade, is it best to “separate “ the items with a cutting tool, or must they be separated naturally (i.e. by tearing along the perforation)?

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    If they were to grade these, or for the ones that are similar that they do grade, is it best to “separate “ the items with a cutting tool, or must they be separated naturally (i.e. by tearing along the perforation)?

Take this with a grain of salt as i am just relaying something I have heard in the past from someone that did well with perforated cards:

I was told that scoring the perforation first with a cutting tool, and then gently rocking the scored perforation back and forth gave the same visual appeal of having "ripped" it out perfectly from its perforation.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were meant to be separated also from the standpoint of trading one star player for another. Probably among children who were not concerned about future value as grading for the most part was non-existent at the time. When children had more fun with their play things. The innocence of youth.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 4:29AM

@nam812 said:

@detroitfan2 said:

Take this with a grain of salt as i am just relaying something I have heard in the past from someone that did well with perforated cards:

I was told that scoring the perforation first with a cutting tool, and then gently rocking the scored perforation back and forth gave the same visual appeal of having "ripped" it out perfectly from its perforation.

I tried to tear apart some magazine cards where the perforated factory cut was not very deep, so the cards did not separate cleanly and were essentially ruined.

That would also explain the Gino Cappelletti card posted above looking cut rather than separated, but I guess that is what PSA is looking for. I separated some 69 4-in-1s and there were fuzzy bits on the perforated tabs, so it looked naturally separated. Now I'm wondering if I should cut the fuzzy bits off to get a better grade.

Edited to remove any suggestion that I was asking the person I quoted for advice.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2024 6:00PM

@RonSportscards said:
    I could have used that advice a few days ago.......

You didn't ask.

Edited to add: My "agree" of your post was a mistake since I meant to hit "quote."

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@RonSportscards said:

You didn't ask.

Edited to add: My "agree" of your post was a mistake since I meant to hit "quote."

You can hit "Agree" a second time to NOT "Agree" anymore...... :o

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I've always loved this set. I think the panels are super cool. I think the singles are super cool too. I'd probably never take one of the panels apart. These days you see so many of them separated though. I'd like to have both sets.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@nam812 said:

@RonSportscards said:

You didn't ask.

You can hit "Agree" a second time to NOT "Agree" anymore...... :o

But then no one will know that I don't agree.