Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How often or frequently does PSA update values?

Mkerner92Mkerner92 Posts: 7
edited February 18, 2024 5:34PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How often does PSA update the values they show a card is worth? Recently bought a few hot cards/players and PSA showing I'm 30% loss when I paid going rate or decent deal?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about the PSA Price Guide (SMR) or the Auction Prices Realized? Because the former is updated quarterly (i.e. every 25 years). The latter is updated just before every pandemic.

• Options

PSA's estimated value after you enter a card into your collection in PSA app.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

eBay Sold Listings or the following link is the ONLY place to determine true value, UNLESS it is something that rarely sells (really low pop, or something no one wants!)

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices

• Options
    Mkerner92Mkerner92 Posts: 7
    edited February 19, 2024 6:01AM

It's just disappointing to add a card to your collection to find your down 30% :-). I typically follow ebay for current market.

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@Mkerner92 said:
    It's just disappointing to add a card toyour collection to find your down 30% :-). I typically follow ebay for current market.

You’re never “down” if you buy cards to simply enjoy them, because you’re a fan of the athlete or the set.

• Options
    SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 8:59AM

@Mkerner92 said:
    It's just disappointing to add a card to your collection to find your down 30% :-). I typically follow ebay for current market.

Not following your logic. How are you down 30% just because you added the card to your collection?

"You're" giving PSA's values a little too much credit as to what cards are currently worth. Values fluctuate and are always what someone is willing to pay - not what any arbitrary guide says the value is.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    eBay Sold Listings or the following link is the ONLY place to determine true value, UNLESS it is something that rarely sells (really low pop, or something no one wants!)

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices

Or vintagecardprices.com

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 8:25AM

I find this amazing.
    Seven American companies only. This doesn’t even include every other rich company in America.
    Absolutely incredible.

Could you imagine if even a sniff of that entered the card market.

• Options

Your absolutely right about giving PSA too much credit. I'd rather them not provide the information as I do get it elsewhere. Like I said, if it's not updated regularly, why bother to put it there.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices of the cards are truly a valuable component of collecting and investing. It amazes me that PSA takes such a nonchalant approach to maintaining semi accurate values. With their platform, the easy access to the prices - it should be kept up with a little bit more.

Prices for 9 and 10 Nolan ryan's are off by as much as 33%.

1977 topps psa 9 $700 - last sell $1,000
    1977 Topps PSa 10 $9000 - last sell $14,000

and I could list about 10,000 more.

Work hard and you will succeed!!