Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tape on cards.

What would this card grade if there wasn’t paper loss and just tape residue on it ? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 10:34AM

With that centering, I would say 3 or 4 max. Edited to add: that is with no tape residue. My opinion, I still think it would grade 1.5 with the tape residue and no paper loss.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 11:28AM

3 looks like it may have been soaked in water at some time? Back looks wavy and looks a little dark. And stain on the front white part through "oilers. Looks darker like water stain.

Also
    I think it helps that gretzkys eyes draw you away from the problem area.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it was Just tape it would still earn a grade of "poor" from me. I don't know how that one got higher than poor.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

agree with nam

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever tried a heat gun to pull something like this off without losing paper? Obviously it would be better if test run on a $1 card first, but just curious.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a company called "Gone With the Stain" that specializes in "fixing" cards with wax stains and tape residue.
    Look them up if you care to.
    I doubt they can fix paper loss, but they might be able to greatly improve the eye appeal on a card like this.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    There's a company called "Gone With the Stain" .........

Would you happen to know the name of the owner of that company? :D:D

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2024 11:44AM

@nam812 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I believe there was a post awhile back that the guy passed away.

You would think he would have gone with "Richard" or "Rick".

Then again, some may like the attention in a weird way. I knew of someone in a company I worked for who stuck with "Dick" whose last name was Rasche - pronounced "rash".

Edit - needless to say, I was hesitant to shake his hand.

Who am I kidding. I didn't shake his hand.

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

I’ve had success removing some glues/tape from ticket stubs, cardboard/boxes etc. using a product called Bestine…which is essentially Heptane, a solvent. Use it liberally to soak the tape area until it starts to soften and separate…don’t rush it. Evaporates very quickly and leaves no trace that I can see or smell. Some old glues don’t respond as well as others but I’ve had luck with at least half of the things I’ve used it on. Amazon carries it…follow safety instructions especially about ventilation as you don’t want to be breathing this in.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Original owner Dick Towle passed away, his son Adam runs it now. They are on Facebook.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

what is the actual... .5 aspect of that card ? Thinking of the grader at time of review.. ahh yes,, Confucius says, add the .5

A '1' literally has to have a pin hole through it I think.