Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Gretzky Rookie. Looking for opinions on grade

I want to get this thing off to get graded. I'm in Canada and they need to be shipped to California to grade from what I have read. So, I'll need an approx value to insure the thing incase it gets lost in the mail.

The card is off center, and has a few of the printing imperfections (fish eye on left shoulder, the white dot on the right hand blue rail print. However, outside of that the corners are near perfect.

Any people know here what kind of grade this would pull in? That way maybe I could find some sort of approx value?

This card was opened fresh out of the pack and went directly in a case. Me opening it today was the second time its ever been handled by a human being 😂. It has been in the family for a very long time.

Comments

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

The card is badly diamond cut. I would say you're looking at a PSA 4.

• Options

@AANV said:

The off center cut would impact it that much? I'd been reading that it was so typical for this to happen back then that you can still find PSA 9's with this type of cut.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really need to have a better scan of the card to get an accurate idea on grade. That being said, the absolute highest that card could get is a 7.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, pack fresh looking card. Always nice to see The Great One! The centering, print dots and slight touch to the upper left and lower right corner likely put this at a PSA 6 OC. Still worth grading. I would place a value of 2000 on it and send registered mail.

• Options

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

hope for 6, expect a 5.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭

There are also 2 dark "stripes" running top/bottom on the right. More visible in the blue areas.
    So anywhere from 5 to 7oc.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA seems to be getting away from the OC designation so my guess is a PSA 5. Beautiful card - pack fresh - but unfortunately off-center on a card that they are particularly hard on.

• Options

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had been pretty hopeful the card would be able to be still graded high (and by high I mean 7-8) because of some commentary I read on how easy they are on cards being off center just because so many were.

• Options

PSA 4

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

@Danny1234 said:
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had been pretty hopeful the card would be able to be still graded high (and by high I mean 7-8) because of some commentary I read on how easy they are on cards being off center just because so many were.

I think you may be mixing up off center with rough cut.

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@Danny1234 said:

Can’t see anything above a 6.
    Good luck !

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA 5 or 6 OC

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options

@Danny1234 said:

That commentary is incorrect. PSA is not "easy" on centering at all.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭

Fairly recent grade.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

@Danny1234 said:

@AANV said:

The off center cut would impact it that much? I'd been reading that it was so typical for this to happen back then that you can still find PSA 9's with this type of cut.

"Typical" doesn't mean that the grading scale is any easier on the card.

Are you trying to convince me, or convince yourself?

I can guarantee you that PSA has never graded a card that looks like this as a PSA 9 - even during the earliest days of grading.

Once again, this is a situation of someone looking at their card with an emotional attachment and wishful thinking, rather than objectively seeing the egregious problem that is evident to anyone with a discerning eye.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, hard to tell from the photo but it looks to have a slight curve to the cut on the right side. I just got a 78 Carew back in a 70s Holiday sub with a similar curve that they didn't grade and sent it back as Miscut.

Hopefully yours is just a photo thing and not the actual card.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    Also, hard to tell from the photo but it looks to have a slight curve to the cut on the right side. I just got a 78 Carew back in a 70s Holiday sub with a similar curve that they didn't grade and sent it back as Miscut.

Hopefully yours is just a photo thing and not the actual card.

Yeah it's a photo thing, there is no miscut there.

• Options

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm going to send this one off for grading.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

That 3 is a crime against humanity

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    Fairly recent grade.

That is a beautiful card!!! No way it is a 3. Crack it out and send it back in.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options

We've been going through our collection, primarily passed down by my father over the years, and holy does he have a lot of valuable cards, including every single one of Gretzky's cards from 79 to his first year with the Kings. Multiple Messier RCs, Coffey RCs, Bossy RCs, Roy RCs. It's quite fascinating.

Here is the year 2 card, I have found 2 of these in similar shape. What does everyone think about this one? I can't tell if the gray stripe above gretzky's head is on all prints. I know for sure the black mark besides the capitals players head is.

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

@Danny1234 said:

I want to get this thing off to get graded. I'm in Canada and they need to be shipped to California to grade from what I have read. So, I'll need an approx value to insure the thing incase it gets lost in the mail.

The card is off center, and has a few of the printing imperfections (fish eye on left shoulder, the white dot on the right hand blue rail print. However, outside of that the corners are near perfect.

Any people know here what kind of grade this would pull in? That way maybe I could find some sort of approx value?

This card was opened fresh out of the pack and went directly in a case. Me opening it today was the second time its ever been handled by a human being 😂. It has been in the family for a very long time.

PSA 4.

chaz