Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Edges on this Nolan Ryan PSA 10 up for auction right now?

Feel like this is a good example to hear how others feel about PSA's edges standard for early 80s baseball (thinking 1981, 1982, 1983 but I'm guessing the same applies to the 70s). Are people OK with the edges here for a PSA 10?

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very good example. Could be a 9, could be a 10. This might the case where a 9.5 would come in handy.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the 9.5 comment.

This card would NEVER get a 10 if it was from a year with colored borders.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t want any tilt for the money that card will go for.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Card looks fine to me. Tilted in holder.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I feel like he is looking right at the big dent in the upper right hand part of the card and the bubbles above his head say, this ain't no 10.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

"Old" Grading.
    Never a 10 if it passed thru the halls this day... Probably an 8.5 or a 9 with the right and bottom edges.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

those edges are a little rough, but remember, even 10s are not "perfect"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 85 ✭✭

As mentioned if borders were not white it might be an 8. IMHO its a weak 9, i dont have white bias

• Options

AT $4,100, the opc 10 sold for $3,000 the other day, a great deal IMO.

topps pop 41
    opc pop 11

• Options

No 10 should have an edge like that. If the cert photos show those edges then maybe it was damaged by PSA during encapsulation.

I've been passing on many PSA 10 cards recently and have seen the cards I've passed on were less than some BGS 9.5. Not often have I seen that and I wonder if it's becoming common knowledge that PSA graded cards need just as much examination as a KSA, CGC (grades errors like some others), SGC, BGS, MAN (mobile authentication network), HGA, GMA, or other service.

A year has gone by since many argued a grade report and/or subgrades would make all the difference and we haven't seen or heard anything about improving their service. I need to cancel the automatic renewal unless there is some perk which would make it worth it. I'd likely just go through an affiliate for future submissions for a card I want to sell.

• Options

Card sold for $6700. Makes the OPC a fantastic deal.

• Options

Any Nolan Ryan PSA 10 from 1987 and down is probably a nice collectible.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is another 1981 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA-10 on a Heritage Auction now…it looks better than this copy.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Looks like the going rate is around 6k or so. There are 41 of these, so not super rare, but rare.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Looks like the going rate is around 6k or so. There are 41 of these, so not super rare, but rare.

One of the few guys where demand is probably never going away, no matter the supply.

• Options

I agree. I just think about the Demand when there is only 5 or 3 or 1? Off the charts.