Home Sports Talk
Options

thinking about Mahomes

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is putting the cart way ahead of the horse, as he has two high hurdles to get over first, but just imagine the conversation people will be having about him if he wins another SB. at various times this season the Chiefs looked like a dead team walking. to go from that to another ring would not only inch him closer to Brady, but it would be like a long jump imo. it would be arguably his finest accomplishment thus far in his career.

i know many are gonna say "no way they beat Baltimore," but go look at what the oddsmakers at saying. at Baltimore -3, they're inferring that the only difference between these two teams is where the game is being played. if you truly think this is a layup for the Ravens, now's the time to back up the brinks truck.

but i'd be very careful with that.

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

thinking about Mahomes...

I think about my guy every-night right before I go to sleep... :)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 11:46AM

I think the Chiefs win, there hasn't been any thought of mine that Baltimore is going to just get a free pass to the Super Bowl

• Options

Lamar Scares The Hell Out Of Me....Very Very Dangerous On The Grid Iron...

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Mahomes gets another one this year I’m going to be asking Craig if Mahomes is the GOAT yet. 😂

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    If Mahomes gets another one this year I’m going to be asking Craig if Mahomes is the GOAT yet. 😂

Almost half way there!! 😂😂😂

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Almost half way there!! 😂😂😂

Perk- from reading Craig’s posts for the last several years I can tell he doesn’t want anyone to even approach Brady’s record for SB
    wins or GOAT status. He even refers to Brady as ‘my Tommy’ ! So I want to ask him that just to poke a little fun because I wouldn’t think Mahomes was at Brady’s level yet with a SB this year. But who knows 10 years or so down the road

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't been following the prices of Mahomes football cards, but it might be a very good time to invest some serious coin.

I mean even if he doesn't get there this season and the card prices stay about the same. There's always next season and many thereafter whereby he keeps building his stats, and the cards continue to rise in value.

i'm gonna take a good look into this and likely grab some PSA 9's, 10's if I can afford it.

• Options

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Mahomes+rookie+card+psa+10&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Just took a quick look. His cards are still very reasonably priced in my opinion.

A number of different ones. Have to decide which to buy.

• Options

Night night...We'll Sleep Tight Tonight...

• Options

and when wake up in the morning we can have a bowl of Hy-Vee together...

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@stevek said:

just some Keeper's....

Very nice indeed.

I'm gonna have to be nicer to GroceryRackPack. I didn't realize he had all that money. 😉

• Options

I've mainly over the years only collected 50's, 60's, and 70's cards and inserts with a variety of non-sports cards from that era.

I actually have some boxes full of modern junk that I acquired from buying large lots of mentioned cards, and these were thrown in with it. I don't have the heart to discard them, I hate seeing a trading card destroyed, I really do, and I've read where charities don't want them. So I'll keep them although I don't consider them to be part of my collection, if that makes any sense.

But I'll have to get up to speed on some of these modern card values. Frankly, these Mahomes cards seem like a steal. The only risk it seems would be a career ending injury happening in the near future. Otherwise, these card prices could go to the moon in ten years, perhaps sooner.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get the mood right for Grocery and Patrick.

https://youtu.be/EPjHxnyA6Ps?si=l8OiUON9LlhCVxfd

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭

He will likely end up in the conversation. The most absurd stat though s Mahomes has been a starter for 6 years now and has made at least the AFC championship game every year

He is more psychically gifted than Brady and only 1 MVP behind him though it is unlikely he will be able to play at a high level into his mid 40s like Brady did. Barring an injury he certainly has a chance to pass him

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Chiefs will keep the game close for a while but unless the Ravens make some crucial mistakes I see Baltimore winning going away. In a nutshell, the Ravens have a much better team than Buffalo so any comparison to what happened Sunday aren't really relevant.

I see the 49ers and Lions game as much closer than how it may have looked a few weeks ago. If Deebo Samuel can't play or is limited due to his injury the Lions should win.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to reiterate, the dude's nickname is The Grim Reaper.

Mahomes has been an underdog in his career only times 11 previously, and is now 9-1-1 against the spread, and actually 8-3 straight up in those games.

In his postseason career, when trailing by 7 points or more at any point in the game, I believe he is now 9-2. Both losses are to Tom Brady's teams.

Give Mahomes credit for those wins, or don't. Give credit to the coach(es), credit to the defense, credit whoever you want. Fact of the matter is, as long as Mahomes is on the team, that team is always going to be a hard one to take down.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, as I've mentioned previously in another thread, Mahomes owns the best road winning percentage by a quarterback in NFL history.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Just to reiterate, the dude's nickname is The Grim Reaper.

Mahomes has been an underdog in his career only times 11 previously, and is now 9-1-1 against the spread, and actually 8-3 straight up in those games.

In his postseason career, when trailing by 7 points or more at any point in the game, I believe he is now 9-2. Both losses are to Tom Brady's teams.

Give Mahomes credit for those wins, or don't. Give credit to the coach(es), credit to the defense, credit whoever you want. Fact of the matter is, as long as Mahomes is on the team, that team is always going to be a hard one to take down.

Tough to argue with those solid points.

I think another interesting point for those figuring it could be a road win for the Chiefs. They were 6-2 on the road this season, but only 5-4 at home. Quite an unusual difference for a good winning team. Normally in most cases, good winning teams in the NFL have a better home record for the season.

It's not unusual for losing teams to have a better record on the road. There they get away from all the home fans booing them, and they may be more relaxed and play better. Perhaps the Chief's players, being Super Bowl champs, feel more pressured to win in front of their home fans and therefore don't play as well.

What adds to it is the Ravens were "only" 6-3 at home, while a lusty 7-1 on the road. This upcoming game of course being a home game for the Ravens.

But who the yell knows? The Cowboys were 8-0 at home this season, and got blown-out at home in their first playoff game a few weeks ago. Figuring out the NFL this season has been like trying to solve Rubik's Cube blindfolded.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Also, as I've mentioned previously in another thread, Mahomes owns the best road winning percentage by a quarterback in NFL history.

Winning percentage is a team stat that for some reasons QBs seem to get sole credit for. As good as he is it still takes a team and he was drafted into a very good situation. Even if someone did want to use the winning percentage stat, its still too early in his career to do so. The guys he gets compared too played 12-15 years or more. They played over 200 regular season games, some significantly more, and even a couple over 300 while he hasnt gotten to 100 yet.

• Options

hey ya @#15_On_That_Red_Team ...

I made you a 1/2 time snack...

and Yes...that is my SpaghettiOs spoon from my younger days.... :)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

feels good to knock another one out

Christmas list:

GroceryRackPack
    perkdog
    Darin
    doubledragon
    stevek
    Basebal21
    bronco2078
    2dueces
    BLUEJAYWAY
    spacehayduke
    MCMLVTopps
    JoeBanzai
    craig44
    DrBuster
    coolstanley
    tommyrusty7
    Steven59
    BillJones
    erikthredd
    Maywood
    LandrysFedora
    PillarDollarCollector
    countdouglas
    Brick
    Alfonz24
    pocketpiececommems
    SDSportsFan
    Browns1981
    grote15
    DallasActuary
    lanemyer85
    Tabe
    fergie23
    coincat
    burghman
    Mickey71
    1948_Swell_Robinson
    Bullsitter
    pdoidoi
    Hidhoe

• Options

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

I agree. Except the Chief’s only let him have one long run that he likes to do. Kelce was a beast today. 👍👍

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

I agree. Except the Chief’s only let him have one long run that he likes to do. Kelce was a beast today. 👍👍

He had a lot of chances to have several that you could have driven a semi truck through and just for whatever reason never took the opportunities and sat in the back field for crazy amounts of time

• Options

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    this is putting the cart way ahead of the horse, as he has two high hurdles to get over first, but just imagine the conversation people will be having about him if he wins another SB. at various times this season the Chiefs looked like a dead team walking. to go from that to another ring would not only inch him closer to Brady, but it would be like a long jump imo. it would be arguably his finest accomplishment thus far in his career.

i know many are gonna say "no way they beat Baltimore," but go look at what the oddsmakers at saying. at Baltimore -3, they're inferring that the only difference between these two teams is where the game is being played. if you truly think this is a layup for the Ravens, now's the time to back up the brinks truck.

but i'd be very careful with that.

Quoting this because it needs to be repeated