Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

White Plains (NY) card show coming up in a few weeks

Jan 19-21.
I haven't been in 5-7 years, but going to head over as I live 15 minutes away.

Link includes athletes signing*
https://www.nyshows.org/autograph-guests-january

• Scott Rolen is getting over $100, huh?

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't been there since the Gloria Rothstein days.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went a few years ago (2019?) and it was excellent.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually a decent show right? I went probably 22 years ago or so and it was big in the convention center by the mall.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I used to go. It was a great place to pick up Yankee cards for my collection. The only thing is the prices are not the best. But they did have what i was looking for.,

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2024 3:00PM

I used to attend pretty regularly, but haven’t gone back since COVID. I was kind of on the fence about continuing because of the paucity of graded cards with almost no graded commons ever available there. I might give it another try just to see if it’s still the same scene.

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Ripken Jr just added to auto line-up.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm amazed Cal still wants to do signings....

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Alomar's fee include spat?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    I'm amazed Cal still wants to do signings....

He likes to meet fans requests ?
    I would think he’s always in demand.

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I went to the show today -- it's only a few miles form my house -- which makes it very convenient.
    Here's my take, in no order:

• It was packed! Last time I was there (pre-Covid) the dealers out-numbered the buyers. Today (before noon) ever aisle was full of people. At some point, it actually felt too crowded
    • Lots of young kids (looked like high school and younger) carrying cases: lots of selling/trading going on throughout
    • Every age was there (8-80), but 98% male
    • I love seeing older guys (like me) looking through 50s/60s/70s binders with their 'need lists' handy
    • Every auction house was there, even some I never heard of
    • Had a great conversation with a dealer about cards and life -- he had all raw, and his 70s stuff looked pack fresh
    • Lots of vintage unopened, which made me drool

No big purchases for me today, but I did pick up some supplies and dropped off a submission to SGC.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I used to attend pretty regularly, but haven’t gone back since COVID. I was kind of on the fence about continuing because of the paucity of graded cards with almost no graded commons ever available there. I might give it another try just to see if it’s still the same scene.

I'm pretty sure you're also the only person to effectively use the word paucity on a sports card message board LOL.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t end up going….too damn cold 🥶

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2024 10:45PM

@PaulMaul said:
    I didn’t end up going….too damn cold 🥶

Cold, You wimps ( :} don't know what Cold is, One of my Boys in Vail Co. just came off plowing for the last 14 Days Straight, one of those mornings it was -27 with Wind chill making it -44 degrees Below Zero! He tells me that for the first 3 moths of Winter they had almost Zero Snow, in just 7 Days they exceeded the Snow Totals for an entire year!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I always loved the cold. It makes you feel alive. Plus it doesn’t make me feel guilty for staying inside playing with my cards.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars