Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Maximilian I (1508-1519) Guldiner

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2024 7:56PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As I flew in to the show, I made it into the CNG lot viewing with a goal of deciding whether to pursue this classic, highly sought after, early type piece. Great "lineage" to this coin - provenanced back to 1946 with a wonderful ownership chain. Spirited bidding but ended up in my hands.

1518 Austria. Maximilian I (1493-1519) Guldiner (or Taler). Klagenfurt Mint. 42mm, 28.25 g, 7h). DAV-8007; Egg-33; Voglhuber-24. Obv: Collared and mantled bust left, wearing cap. Rev: Three crowned coats-of-arms over eight coats-of-arms, the lowermost crowned. A RARE early Taler, preserved far better than most seen, with an even strike that sharply details the designs and only slight evidence of softening over the highpoints. A touch of mottled tone over the obverse adds an admirable aged look to the overall appearance. NGC AU-55.

From the J. Eric Engstrom Collection. Ex Dr. James Eustace Bizzell Collection (Stack’s Bowers Galleries, 11 January 2019), lot 40016; American Numismatic Society Collection (Numismatica Genevensis SA VII, 27 November 2012), lot 1713, donated by W.B.O Field, 1946.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Zohar - that is a significant taler! I think that fits the set nicely. Those early pieces are tough in original (non-details) condition.