Home Sports Talk
Options

Bill B is no longer the Patriots Head Coach

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

The day is finally here. what is next...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bill-belichick-patriots-to-reportedly-part-ways-after-24-seasons-6-super-bowl-titles-123230197.html

Bill Belichick, Patriots to reportedly 'part ways' after 24 seasons, 6 Super Bowl titles

• Options

@craig44 said:

As far as Belichick is concerned, I just don't see any team hiring him at this point.

But maybe some dead head owner will, who knows?

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

He's 71 - time to hang it up and enjoy retirement.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too much Falcons rumors down here swirling around...

• Options

I just read where they are televising the funeral procession live from New England later today.

Still time to send flowers.

• Options

I just emailed Kraft and told him that there are a number of Patriots fans that post on CU, who I think would make a great head coach for his team.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I just emailed Kraft and told him that there are a number of Patriots fans that post on CU, who I think would make a great head coach for his team.

@stevek I just put in an email as a reference for you to become the new General Manager and president of all Gillette stadium food and popcorn production.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Way too much Falcons rumors down here swirling around...

that would be just too juicy!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see what the Pats do with their draft pick and how the next 5-10 years go. Tough to follow a legend. That said, if they get the right coach they will be able to compete. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to predict who the right coach is. I think GMs/NFL owners do it about as well as they draft the right 1st round franchise QB, which is pretty darn infrequently.

Robb

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people hear the music playing in the background and get a clue, others just ignore reality until the volume gets turned way up. Belichick had a great run during the glory days of Brady, etal, but it's all about winning, and the rabid Foxboro faithful probably had enough, as did Kraft and little Kraft.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

It was probably the same sad day when Landry was released. Speaking of the boys IMO bill would be a great addition.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 12pm est there's going to a press conference with Kraft & Belichick here...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az85uZF5qQI

• Options

Set of Two Flintlock Duelling Pistols

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

End of an era, this has been a crazy past 24 hours, I can't remember anything like it, Nick Saban retires and now Belichick is out.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2024 10:22AM

That press conference finished pretty quick. it was just BB giving thanks to the Kraft family, players, coaches, all the people in the building and to the fans. Then Kraft thanked BB for accomplishing something that may never be replicated again.

No news on who Bill's replacement will be.

• Options

Watching that press conference Belichick is a class act, saying he respects the media and what they do, I've never seen that side of him before.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Watching that press conference Belichick is a class act, saying he respects the media and what they do, I've never seen that side of him before.

He used to be a weekly guest on a show called Patriots All Access and he was nothing like he was in press conferences.
    He was funny and had a section of the show where he worked the Belestrator (telestrator) picking players from their previous game and some of their next opposing team to show fans what makes certaing players so good.
    Here's one short clip as an example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF5cLq5UiYk

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we finally put to bed the debate of was it Tommy or BB? Please!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

His age is a definite factor. Would be difficult at his age to rebuild a franchise. He would have to walk into a ready made contender. And if that team was already a contender what would they need a new coach for. So in both examples the opportunity to coach somewhere would seem highly limited.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

He used to be a weekly guest on a show called Patriots All Access and he was nothing like he was in press conferences.
    He was funny and had a section of the show where he worked the Belestrator (telestrator) picking players from their previous game and some of their next opposing team to show fans what makes certaing players so good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF5cLq5UiYk

It's so cool to see that side of him, he really is a likeable guy. 👍

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Can we finally put to bed the debate of was it Tommy or BB? Please!

That debate was put to bed by Pats fans many years ago. Its all you non-Pats fans that had to catch up lol.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume Bill stayed on after Tom left to prove he could develop a winner without Tom. Maybe that has been stated here previously. Hard to win a race if you don't have the horse.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    His age is a definite factor. Would be difficult at his age to rebuild a franchise. He would have to walk into a ready made contender. And if that team was already a contender what would they need a new coach for. So in both examples the opportunity to coach somewhere would seem highly limited.

Unless some random contender drops their HC and goes after BB, he's likely looking at a team from this group being his next one.
    Seattle Seahawks
    Tennessee Titans
    Washington Commanders
    Atlanta Falcons
    Las Vegas Raiders
    Carolina Panthers
    Los Angeles Chargers

My guess would be either
    Atlanta who have decent offensive weapons with QB a need. They were 11th in total defense.
    or
    Chargers who have a decent trio on offense in Herbert-Ekeler-Allen but Bill could work on their defense right away.

I think his dream job would with the Giants.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've never seen that side of him before because he's never really been anything but a terse, rude, jackwad with the media going back to his first HC job with the Browns. Unfortunately for Belichick the Cleveland media, especially the press corp in the old days, didn't put up with his bs post game interviews and they crucified for it. When he got to the Patriots he was fortunate to have had the success he had because it granted him leeway he didn't really deserve. Head Coaches in the NFL have to wear many hats and that's one that never fit him.

My personal opinion of Bill Belichick the man isn't a good one. As a Head Coach it varies, he was good at game planning, that's for sure, he could find and exploit a team's weaknesses and pull the best out of his own players. Past that I'll defer to guys like @perkdog who have a better perspective than me. I'll go against the grain and state that I think he should settle in with his pal Nick Saban and stay retired. He has certainly earned it and any attempt at the Shula record, which is what he probably craves more than anything, puts him at risk of further damaging our perception of him after these last few difficult years. I wish him well but not success wherever he coaches again.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Those who understand the way life works in the real world, know that in a free society, it's really not possible to be successful unless you are likable in many ways.

Frankly, I believe that most of the media deemed Belichick "unlikable" because of their different societal views versus Belichick's views. I have no doubt about that. They did the same thing to Tom Landry and others, but the climate happens to be much worse now.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2024 12:21PM

Thank you Bill Belichick for your contributions to the success of the Patriots for the past 20+ Years

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🤛🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

if someone hires Belichick, they must stipulate that he has zero say over personnel decisions. as the league was evolving into dual-threat and speed on the perimeter, Belichick's mind and vision were stuck in quicksand. he didn't stay current. for years he wasted precious draft capital on non-skill position players, and the end result was a New England team that was painfully slow, unathletic, and downright painful to watch.

a very good post-BB start, imo, would be to draft Jayden Daniels at 3...........if he's still there. he may end up being the best QB in the upcoming draft. think 6'4", 210, 50 total TDs to 4 INTs while playing in the SEC, almost 4k passing and over 1.1k rushing. oh, and he won the Heisman. basically the antithesis of Mac Zappe.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

As far as Belichick is concerned, I just don't see any team hiring him at this point.

But maybe some dead head owner will, who knows?

Her could get hired again, its just whether or not he wants to. In terms of his legacy it would be better for him to just retire instead of going and losing on another team for a couple years really cementing the legacy that he could only win with Brady

• Options

Belichick needs 15 wins to pass Shula, I think he's going to go for it, he wants that crown. Prediction, Bill Belichick, to the Falcons!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

You know what, on second thought, to heck with the Falcons.

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

They are already planning the fishing trip.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said: I believe that most of the media deemed Belichick "unlikable" because of their different societal views versus Belichick's views.

What!!! :p As far as I remember all the media interviews and post-game interviews were about football, societal issues, religion or politics were never discussion topics.

Here's the facts: when Bill Belichick first started his Head Coaching career with the Cleveland Browns he was lauded as a defensive savant and admired glowingly for his dedicated work ethic. He had a cot at the Berea practice facility and practically lived there. The media spoke of how he sacrificed time with his family because he was so immersed in making things work. He was roundly admired for that in a blue-collar working class town.

For some reason he made a conscious decision to be stand-offish, short tempered and terse with the media, he kept everyone at arms length, even his players and the coaching staff. For whatever his reasons might have been that was the persona he chose to project through the media. After a couple years of that they turned on him. It got ugly and fans criticized the media for how difficult they made it for the guy at his press conferences, but it was of his own making.

Some HC's know how to interact with and use the media but that's one thing Bill Parcells could never teach Belichick

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2024 3:32PM

So when Bill and the Pats make a “mutual decision to part ways,” does that mean Bill gets the cash from the last year of his contract? Or is that negotiated secretly? 🤔

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    So when Bill and the Pats make a “mutual decision to part ways,” does that mean Bill gets the cash from the last year of his contract? Or is that negotiated secretly? 🤔

Yes, Bill got fired, and gets the cash. Likely with the understanding that if he signs another coaching contract, the payment is at least partially voided if not completely voided.

Belichick the way I took it, made it basically clear that he will be actively seeking another coaching job. I'm sure that his agent has been on the phone all day today.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

Obviously thats just code for were going to fire you if you dont agree. The money is all dependent on what they agreed too. Most likely they will just pay him it so that he plays along with what they want for the PR

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @stevek said: I believe that most of the media deemed Belichick "unlikable" because of their different societal views versus Belichick's views.

What!!! :p As far as I remember all the media interviews and post-game interviews were about football, societal issues, religion or politics were never discussion topics.

Here's the facts: when Bill Belichick first started his Head Coaching career with the Cleveland Browns he was lauded as a defensive savant and admired glowingly for his dedicated work ethic. He had a cot at the Berea practice facility and practically lived there. The media spoke of how he sacrificed time with his family because he was so immersed in making things work. He was roundly admired for that in a blue-collar working class town.

For some reason he made a conscious decision to be stand-offish, short tempered and terse with the media, he kept everyone at arms length, even his players and the coaching staff. For whatever his reasons might have been that was the persona he chose to project through the media. After a couple years of that they turned on him. It got ugly and fans criticized the media for how difficult they made it for the guy at his press conferences, but it was of his own making.

Some HC's know how to interact with and use the media but that's one thing Bill Parcells could never teach Belichick

That's my final word on that particular post.

Take it however ya wish. 😉

• Options

His personality was formed being around Parcells in his early coaching years. If you’ve seen the doc, “Bill and Bill” you’ll see Parcells treating him like a water boy. One sideline shot has BP telling BB to shut the F up.
    Parcells and Bob Knight coached together at Army so you see where their personalities were formed.
    Once he was crowned GOAT his terse press conferences were tolerated but these last 2 years not so much. As I always said it’s just Bill being Bill.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Patriots honor their commitment and hire Mayo

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I guess Robert Kraft got tired of winning Super Bowls.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Those who understand the way life works in the real world, know that in a free society, it's really not possible to be successful unless you are likable in many ways.

Frankly, I believe that most of the media deemed Belichick "unlikable" because of their different societal views versus Belichick's views. I have no doubt about that. They did the same thing to Tom Landry and others, but the climate happens to be much worse now.

ummmm no its because he is a jerk