Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Possible trade offer

I have a bunch of complete set of baseball from the 1970s in really good shape. All of them are raw. I got an offer from a dealer to trade me the 1970, 75-79 sets for a sgc 5 Jim brown rookie and $750 cash. Would you make this trade? I think it is a good deal for both of us but I always think I am getting the short straw during any trade. I was hoping of r some opinions.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

how much does an sgc 5 brown rookie sell for?

i watched a nice 70 set get auctioned on whatnot this past weekend and it sold for $1890. I am not sure what ebay comps would be on it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

No way. Keep the sweet 70s baseball.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

2 browns sold for $2k

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 1:28PM

@craig44 said:

i watched a nice 70 set get auctioned on whatnot this past weekend and it sold for $1890. I am not sure what ebay comps would be on it.

whatnot = pump & dump :D

What are the conditions of the tops cards in those sets? Are they not gradable for multiple of value? (though I guess we know with PSA those years are automatic PSA 5!)

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:

I have a bunch of complete set of baseball from the 1970s in really good shape. All of them are raw. I got an offer from a dealer to trade me the 1970, 75-79 sets for a sgc 5 Jim brown rookie and $750 cash. Would you make this trade? I think it is a good deal for both of us but I always think I am getting the short straw during any trade. I was hoping of r some opinions.

If you think it is a good deal for both of you then go ahead and trade. If you are having doubts, then in my opinion I wouldn't trade.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Not an easy decision, but here are 2 main factors to consider:

1. the enjoyment you get out of owning and viewing those sets vs. the enjoyment of owning and viewing the Brown RC (plus whatever you would do with the extra $750). If you really never pull out the sets and enjoy them, that's a factor to consider.

2. the centering and eye appeal of the Brown RC. Not all SGC 5 Jim Brown RCs are created (and valued) equally. Collectors will pay a lot more for a card with great overall eye appeal (centering, registration, lack of print defects, etc.). If the Brown RC is very off center, I might steer away or ask for more cash in the trade.

Good luck whatever you decide!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn’t take> @craig44 said:

There’s a PSA 5 Brown rookie on eBay now being offered for $1550. So being generous say an sgc would be worth $1500 plus the $750 cash the OP would be getting about $2250 for those sets.
    If he has any PSA 9 or even PSA10 possible star cards or even rookie cards in those raw sets he would be getting a bad deal.
    I used to collect the 1975 set and had most of the stars in PSA 9 and over the last several years prices have skyrocketed. Just an example I paid $150 for a Johnny Bench PSA 9 and now they want $500-600.
    I can’t imagine what a PSA 9 star card in the 1970 set would go for. Even some 8’s would be very expensive.
    So the key is just how nice are the op’s raw sets?

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

What is the condition of your 75 set. ex-mt sets after that can go for a little as 200 tp 500 dollars . 75 if nt mt can go pretty high if stars are graded. I dont know much about 1970. Condition is everything in 70's set. There are PSA 5s and SGC 5s. SGC usually does not undergrade cards. Brown might be a PSA 3 or 4. what Darin writes is good advice.

• Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 138 ✭✭

Without knowing the condition of your sets there's no way to decide. Not enough information. What condtion are the key cards in your sets? What's the conditon of the 70 hall of famers? Any chance the Clemente, Bench, Aaron, Munson, or Mays can get a 8 or 9 from PSA? What about the 76 Eckersley and Brett? What about the 78 Ryan, Molitor, and Murray? What about the 79 Ozzie Smith? As you can see there's to many unanswered questions.

IMO go through the hall of famers and see what cards has a realisitic shot of getting a 8 or 9 from PSA. Once you do that you will have a good idea of the value.

• Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 138 ✭✭

I forgot the 75 set was included. You have 4 great rookie cards that are worth 1-5 K if they receive a PSA 9.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a 76 set all just pulled from vending boxes for about $350. Great condition other than the shitty mid-70s centering. 😀

• Options

Thank you all for the opinions. It really helps. I had the guy send me a picture of the jimmy brown and I see that it is graded a cgc 4 not 5. That makes a huge difference. I think I will be holding on to my sets for now. I think I would be giving up way too much plus he came to me asking for the sets and I do t care if I hold on to them a while.

• Options

• Options

The above was a picture of the brown he sent me.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I knew I shouldn't have bothered reading past "I got an offer from a dealer..." 😆

It's not even close when you said SGC5. Now it's even further with it being CGC4.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, keep those sets.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Thanks guys. That was what I was thinking as well. I do like the 2000 sticker he put on the back of the card though to make it look more expensive

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget about any trade with a dealer. You're not even going to get close to the best of it, and likely you will get the worst of it.

Do it in two separate transactions. Sell what ya wanna sell on Ebay or use BST here. Then buy the Brown card from the dealer or elsewhere. That's definitely the best way to do it as far as your money is concerned.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    Thanks guys. That was what I was thinking as well. I do like the 2000 sticker he put on the back of the card though to make it look more expensive

He should have put a $20,000 on there!

• Options

CGC 4 = PSA 6

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:
    CGC 4 = PSA 6

No, you mean CSG 4 Green Label = PSA 6, CSG 4 Black Label = PSA 5, CGC 4 = PSA 3 :smiley:

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 9:03PM

I don't have a great eye but that 4 looks good. If he has buyers lined up then maybe strike a deal where he helps you sell them and he gets a cut slightly smaller than ebay. Also he should then help get you cards at a slight discount and there won't be ebay fees and shipping involved. Just an idea.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

The Brown is at best $1800 or so
    What’s the quality of the sets? If they are EX sets it’s about right